PDA

View Full Version : Headlight bulb change

plasticmekon
09-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Hi,

I'm due to pick up my Passat in the next couple of weeks but at the time didn't pick LED lights as an option for various reasons. Of course, now I'm worried that I've missed a trick. Instead I'm going to swap the OEM headlight bulbs out for a pair of Philips Xtreme Vision +130% bulbs, but was I can't find anywhere on the net at all is how easy (or otherwise) replacing a headlight bulb is.

Now I assume it's going to be in the manual, but certainly from what I get off the VW website, they suggest you take it to them to replace a bulb. It surely can't be that bonkers?

Thanks in advance!

Gazwould
09-01-2016, 07:54 PM
You missed out on LED , replace with LED.

plasticmekon
09-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Bit late for that. Car's on it's way!

Gazwould
09-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Doh , the bulb !

Cree LED.

What H is it?

technik
09-01-2016, 11:50 PM
Hi,

I'm due to pick up my Passat in the next couple of weeks but at the time didn't pick LED lights as an option for various reasons. Of course, now I'm worried that I've missed a trick. Instead I'm going to swap the OEM headlight bulbs out for a pair of Philips Xtreme Vision +130% bulbs, but was I can't find anywhere on the net at all is how easy (or otherwise) replacing a headlight bulb is.

Now I assume it's going to be in the manual, but certainly from what I get off the VW website, they suggest you take it to them to replace a bulb. It surely can't be that bonkers?

Thanks in advance!

Here's the Manual Instructions - look pretty straightforward. Gotta agree though, you should call your dealership and ask if it's not too late to upgrade to even the standard LEDs. Worth it for the DRLs alone!

asena
22-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Hi
Having been looking at upgrading them myself, I have noticed that there is a flap in the wheel arch which I'm sure has been put there to allow access to the back of the front headlights on the B8. Taking the front wheel off would give even better access but I'm sure that's what it is there for

bigsteve102
07-03-2016, 10:56 PM
How did you get on with this? What lamps did you use and did you change them yourself?

MattB247
11-03-2016, 11:15 PM
The price for the LED headlights is horrendous, I guess that's why they don't offer Xenon's as standard as there's probably not enough of a benefit in upgrading to LED from them but from halogens there's a decent performance benefit in upgrading if you can stomach the price.

YawnGumbo
17-03-2016, 02:03 PM
To be fair the old price to upgrade from halogens to xenons was pretty high - it just seems to be one of those things that manufacturers charge what they like for.