PDA

View Full Version : Radio In Safe Mode

greekmon
10-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Hello all, I am new on this forums and happy to see other people with interests like me in audi cars but I have run into a problem. My car was repaired recently and something happened to the radio which now reads "SAFE" when I turn it on. I have looked online and I've found that a code is needed but I couldn't find anyone else with my same stereo without contacting my dealer. My dealer wants about 50$+ just for calling him, I was wondering if anyone here can help me or refer me a site or someone that can help me.

My car is a 92' Audi S100
and stereo is Audi Gamma CC AUZ1Z6R9898688

xenon
10-10-2007, 01:03 AM
I have a 'Radio card' which has been cut out from the radio user manual that came with the car. It has radio model, serial and code numbers on it. It's the size of a business card and on the back it has (word for word):

"Please detach the radio card and keep it in a safe place - not in the car.
If you should lose the radio card with the code number, please contact an Audi dealer. Assistance will be provided free of charge."

It's all very well telling you this - but what if you've lost the card? How do you know what to do? Can you try a different dealer? They may be more helpful.

greekmon
10-10-2007, 02:42 AM
oh thanks for your help, sorry I forgot ot mention i bought the car second hand so I was never aware of any radio card, I'll try my best to contact a dealer that doesn't charge hopefully, or I guess I'll just buy another radio lol

xenon
10-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Did you not get the owners manual etc? It may be in there or could be hand written into the operating instructions for the radio.

greekmon
10-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Yea i got the owners manual, it says how to input the code, press fm1 and am simultaneously, but the code itself i dunno it, i'm very doubtful since it is a 1992 car if the dealers even have the code or not. too bad because it was a good radio system

mluton
10-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Search the net there are loads of places where you enter you serial number and it gives you the radio code.

My mate paid £5 for his focus radio code.

e.g.http://www.car-audio-accessories.co.uk/volkswagen-radio-codes.php

greekmon
11-10-2007, 01:07 AM
I've tried these sites, guess my audi radio falls under the exceptions category cause I can't find it anywhere but at a dealer.

gazza57
11-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I went to an Audi dealer with the same problem as you and quoted the "take this to your Audi dealer who will retrieve the code for you free of charge"
After picking himself up off the floor and spending 5 minutes trying to compose himself and the rest of the service department from the fits of laughter they all had exploded into when I mentioned the foul filthy words "free of charge"
They regretfully informed me that it is no longer free of charge, nothing repeat nothing is ever ever free of charge and someone's time is money, well well what a surprise.
I went to a local radio shop who retieved the code for £20, Audi wanted half an hour £50+VAT.
Gazza57:zx11:

xenon
11-10-2007, 02:34 PM
I went to an Audi dealer with the same problem as you and quoted the "take this to your Audi dealer who will retrieve the code for you free of charge"
After picking himself up off the floor and spending 5 minutes trying to compose himself and the rest of the service department from the fits of laughter they all had exploded into when I mentioned the foul filthy words "free of charge"
They regretfully informed me that it is no longer free of charge, nothing repeat nothing is ever ever free of charge and someone's time is money, well well what a surprise.
I went to a local radio shop who retieved the code for £20, Audi wanted half an hour £50+VAT.
Gazza57:zx11:
Why does that not surprise me?? I bet it's a 2 minute job to get the code too!