PDA

View Full Version : New Q7 Electric Windows Problem

JumpingJack
09-01-2016, 07:59 AM
I returned my new Q7 2nd gen to the dealer as the electric windows would not always drop all the way down or close all the way up on pressing the button to the second click on the button. This was the same on all buttons/windows.

Sometimes they would and sometimes they wouldn't. When they didn't they would just either drop a tiny amount and just stop or come up the same tiny amount and stop. I then had to press or pull up for a second time to the second click for the window to come all the way up or down. This was completely random. Sometimes they would work fine a number of times and other times I'd have to press the button to the second click twice for it to function properly.

They changed the control unit but when getting the car back it still had exactly the same issue.

I booked it in again but this time I tried two other new Q7's whilst I was there and these did exactly the same thing. Sometimes pressing to the second click would work as expected and other times there would just be small window movement and the need to press the button to the second click again for full window movement.

The dealer is saying there is not a lot they can do if this is happening on all new Q7 models.

Has anyone else experienced this electric windows issue?

Nemo78
09-01-2016, 08:15 AM
Can't say I've had this issue but I don't know how much I've opened / closed the Windows.

Just so I'm clear is this using the Windows buttons on the drivers doors or are you using the key fob when unlocking / locking car to drop and raise the Windows.

I'll give it a whirl when I get my car back.

Have you still got your Q7 or is it back at the dealers?

Do you know if they made any contact with Audi UK over the issue at all?

Is this similar to what San I think was suffering from on the 'Electric Shutters' thread?

JumpingJack
09-01-2016, 08:29 AM
It's back with the dealer and I have a loan car as there are other issues. I've had the car for 3 months and it has bbeen back three times with issues.

it is when using the buttons in the car, not the keyfob.

I think San1 has a different issue in that he has to constantly hold the button down or up for the windows to go all the way up or down.

I've asked them to contact Audi UK but that was only recently so not sure if they have yet, or will.

Nemo78
09-01-2016, 10:13 AM
I've just tried this in the loan A4 car I have - one click just moves the Windows slightly up and down - second click or fully moving the button up/down makes window automatically go up and down.

Would be good to hear in the 2nd gen faults thread what other issues you're having so we can all keep an eye out on it as it is a new model and the master tech did say that there were some common issues coming out on the Q7s

JMB7
09-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Just had a play with my q7 on the drive and the windows work just as Nemo78 described them working on the A4. (My q7 is about 3 months old also)

Have you messed with the settings in the mmi JumpingJack under Car settings > Central locking > windows?

Edit: I have just found out whilst testing this that the front passenger window doesn't go all the way down though. Bugger.

Mines been back once for software update and is going back again for mmi replacement. Now have another item for them to look at

JumpingJack
09-01-2016, 02:49 PM
I've looked at the settings in the mmi under Car settings > Central locking > windows and that just seems to relate to how the windows go up or down on a full press of the buttons on the keyfob when locking and unlocking the car.

I doubt they will find a fault specific to your car as that is the 4th Q7 where the window buttons don't work properly. My car, the two I tried in the dealership recently and now yours. It seems that it is a model issue.

I'll post the the other issues I am having in the other thread.

JMB7
09-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Just to confirm, I think mine are fine. The fault with the front passenger window is it never retracts fully down no matter how it is opened.
After multiple attempts I couldn't reproduce your issue. Mine work as Nemo78 described in the A4

vincevms
09-01-2016, 07:49 PM
Hi - did you buy the car after 1st Oct 15 - if so, you may want to reject the vehicle under the consumer rights act 2015 - i've just done so with my q7 that has a module fault.

The dealer gets 1 chance to repair - after that (upto 6months) you can reject the vehicle - there are 200 currently in stock across the UK, so they should be able to get a replacement quickly.

No grumbles from the dealer or Audi UK - just an acknowledgement and we'll get the wheels in motion

JumpingJack
09-01-2016, 08:44 PM
Hi, I took delivery at the end of September 15. the car has been with the dealer 3 times and 3-4 weeks in total. In all fairness they are being good about it and have said if they can't resolve the issues on this occasion they will accept a rejection and replace the car. This is my first Audi and I've never had this many issues on a new car.

JMB7
09-01-2016, 11:22 PM
Is there a milage limit to being able to reject the car? Will see if the mmi swap fixes my issues then look into that.

Nemo78
11-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Hi, I took delivery at the end of September 15. the car has been with the dealer 3 times and 3-4 weeks in total. In all fairness they are being good about it and have said if they can't resolve the issues on this occasion they will accept a rejection and replace the car. This is my first Audi and I've never had this many issues on a new car.

So this is happening on another Q7 as the tech I was speaking to today. But he was honest and said they had stripped the car and couldn't find any issue as such...

JumpingJack
11-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Sorry, but I am not to sure what you mean?

Nemo78
11-01-2016, 10:19 PM
Sorry, but I am not to sure what you mean?

Sorry...on re-reading my post it makes no sense at all.

So I was in the dealership and speaking to the master tech about my car. We got on to discussing other Q7 issues - he mentioned about the Windows not opening / closing so I asked some more as had read your post. They had replaced control units etc but this hadn't rectified the issue. They weren't sure what was causing the problem.

So it seems you're not alone..

JumpingJack
11-01-2016, 10:24 PM
Thanks, that's a lot clearer now :o

Would you mind advising which master tech or at least which dealership so that I can pass the info on to my dealership about others who are having the same issue?

Joe Mone
07-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Thanks, that's a lot clearer now :o

Would you mind advising which master tech or at least which dealership so that I can pass the info on to my dealership about others who are having the same issue?

Just got the Q7 yesterday, same issue with all windows not going down automatically. Haven't talked to the dealer yet.

vincevms
07-02-2016, 10:03 PM
Hi - no mileage limit for rejection - lots in line about the consumer rights act 2015. I have my new sepang blue q7 being built at the moment - but any probs and this one will get rejected too - Audi need to get a grip - and sort the problems out

Nemo78
08-02-2016, 11:30 PM
Audi need to get a grip - and sort the problems out

Whilst I don't disagree with this I guess as early adopters we are finding the issues and making the car the great car it is (once issues identified and fixed). Not saying that's right, as you'd hope for any car it's a ok when it leaves the factory.

Had Audi's previous to this one and each one has been rock solid...

Just out of interest Vince - what was the module fault you had?

dghdgh
08-02-2016, 11:58 PM
I am a little concerned by the number of vehicles which have been rejected, will this lead to a glut of q7's on the market place and an artificial reduction in the retention of the vehicle. I can't see Audi taking the hit on the chin.

vincevms
09-02-2016, 08:18 AM
Hi - I've always had audi's and agree they have been rock solid - however I would expect as you say for Audi to have beaten the faults out of a 60k vehicle by now.
With my q7 it is still being torn apart but it's something to do with the RSE not isolating.
Dealer got to a place where they ordered a replacement 'donor' vehicle - futile when they don't even know what the fault it - very disappointing.
Let's see if my sepang blue replacement in March is faultless - I suspect not - the question will then be whether to grin and bear it or go elsewhere...

Nemo78
09-02-2016, 10:08 PM
Let's see if my sepang blue replacement in March is faultless - I suspect not - the question will then be whether to grin and bear it or go elsewhere...

Fingers crossed it will be faultless!!

Also being a little slow here - what's the RSE?

andyhud007
06-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Hi Guys

Was just looking through new Q7 (4M) threads and noticed this one so wanted to test this on my new Q7

As far as I can tell everything is working as expecting

Sitting in the car in the drivers seat, electrics on, engine NOT running.

One little click up or down and windows go up or down depending how long I hold it in that position for. Same for all 4 windows
Push to a second click either up or down and the windows go fully up or down. I tried it loads of ways, stopping, starting, mixing it up (neighbours probably thought I was mad) but everything seems to be as expected

Let me know if I can help further, maybe my car is running a different software version. Happy to check version if someone lets me know how to check what version it is

Cheers

Andy

jdgator1000
28-06-2017, 10:17 PM
I am having both issues described in the thread. Initially it was the driver & passenger window not going up all the way or down all the way, very intermittent & unpredictable. I went to shop & told that the "top" & "bottom" needed to be set by a series of button pushing, etc.
This did seem to fix the problem.

Now I'm experiencing the other issue. The driver door window will not go up or down via the "auto" feature; I must hold the button to have it open & close.

Nemo78
29-06-2017, 06:07 PM
I am having both issues described in the thread. Initially it was the driver & passenger window not going up all the way or down all the way, very intermittent & unpredictable. I went to shop & told that the "top" & "bottom" needed to be set by a series of button pushing, etc.
This did seem to fix the problem.

Now I'm experiencing the other issue. The driver door window will not go up or down via the "auto" feature; I must hold the button to have it open & close.

I had this with driver window and srbsq7 gave me the button pressing thing to do and that sorted it without any further issues so far...

rza
29-06-2017, 08:11 PM
What is the button pressing thing?

Thakey17
29-06-2017, 11:25 PM
Had the same issue and was shown the button pressing reset. Press and hold all the way down, press and hold all the way up, once up pull the button up several times and that should set everything. That's what the service guy showed me.

Hope this works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdgator1000
30-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Had the same issue and was shown the button pressing reset. Press and hold all the way down, press and hold all the way up, once up pull the button up several times and that should set everything. That's what the service guy showed me.

Hope this works for you.

I'll try that tomorrow. Today the window went really slow to close the last 10% or so before completely closing. Definitely strange.
Thank you for the window thing to set it.

jdgator1000
30-06-2017, 12:20 AM
I'll try that tomorrow. Today the window went really slow to close the last 10% or so before completely closing. Definitely strange.
Thank you for the window thing to set it.

I actually just tried it. When I pushed several times at the top as you instructed the window actually went down halfway. So I tried what you suggested again except I push the button down and held it until it got to the bottom then push down three times then I pressed up and held until it reached the top then I pushed up on the button three times. Lo and behold this has taken care of both of my problems! Thank you so much.
This is the first time I have posted anything on this forum and I got immediate resolution. Very excited to be part of the group. Much appreciated!

jdgator1000
30-06-2017, 12:21 AM
I actually just tried it. When I pushed several times at the top as you instructed the window actually went down halfway. So I tried what you suggested again except I push the button down and held it until it got to the bottom then push down three times then I pressed up and held until it reached the top then I pushed up on the button three times. Lo and behold this has taken care of both of my problems! Thank you so much.
This is the first time I have posted anything on this forum and I got immediate resolution. Very excited to be part of the group. Much appreciated!

jdgator1000
30-06-2017, 12:23 AM
What is the button pressing thing?

I tried what was suggested by Thakey17;
I pushed several times at the top as you instructed but the window actually went down halfway.
So I tried what was suggested again except I pushed the button down and held it until it got to the bottom then pushed down three times then I pressed up and held until it reached the top then I pushed up on the button three times.
Lo and behold this has taken care of both of my problems!

andyhud007
30-06-2017, 06:58 PM
I'm sure this reset procedure is the manual, I've read it somewhere... when I swapped my door controllers out I did the same, down all the way, up all the way, up three times. that did it.

If you have either Side Assist or Soft door close you should also ask the dealer to make sure your door controllers (all 4 controllers) are on software version 0052 (the latest).

HTH

Andy