PDA

View Full Version : Engine light on came on today

Naseem
06-01-2016, 08:57 PM
Hi all,

Engine light came on today when I drove home from work. It's on solid. I've checked coolant and oil levels, oil was a tad low, but not much so I just topped it up (probably only about 100ml or so) and it was back up to full mark.

It sounded and drove fine. I got home and tried starting it again after about 30mins and it sounded a little rough when turning over, but fine once it fired up. I've just been trying to scan it, but after installing windows again last year I haven't been able to find cable drivers. I turned it over again once more and this time it didn't sound rough (about an hour later).

Does anyone have any ideas what's wrong or will it need to take it in? I'd like to try clearing it if I can to see if it comes up again, but I can't get my cable installed as yet.

The only thing I can think of is that it needs a service, (service notification been coming on for past week). However, I've never known the engine light to come to indicate a service on a VAG.

I did just fill up a full tank of petrol from Tesco before driving home, but surely it's not some fuel issue is it?

Rob69
06-01-2016, 10:26 PM
Post the engine code then fault code if you get them, anything else before that is guesswork! Intake Vacuum leak? Lambda sensor ? MAF, MAP? PCV?

calum
09-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Drivers for your cable can be downloaded from here FTDI Drivers (http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm)

I hope it's something simple. Probably emissions related.