PDA

View Full Version : mk3 1.4cl cuts out at speed

nev1113
09-10-2007, 10:01 PM
My mk3 golf 1.4 (ABD) has a very annoying intermitent fault. It generally starts and runs fine and then, when warm, it will either try to cut out or completely cut out, more often or not when doing a fair speed ie top gear 50+.

This is very abrupt ie engine cuts out, rev counter drops to zero and oil light comes on. Generally it happens for about a second and then just picks up again. Sometimes it grinds to a halt and wont start but then has always fixed itself after about 10 minutes

I'm sure its electrical, not fuel due to the sudden nature of the engine failure. I have recently replaced plugs, leads, distributor cap.

Any ideas?

Thanks

brijvs
01-11-2007, 11:19 AM
sorry this message is abit late mate, but i think the problem may be the coil... i remember my mk3 1.4cl cut out at one point and needed a new coil. If you pop the bonnet, on the passenger side, and attached just under the wipers, thats the coil. box like thing... i think that may be the problem. hoppe it helps.

blah2809
02-11-2007, 03:56 PM
The problem sounds like overheating and that's why it will start again after 10 minutes as the engine has cooled down. Root cause could be a few different things so I would get it checked out ASAP.

Overheating can cause the head gasket to blow and if that happens the engine could be mincemeat and at minimum need the cylinder head ground flat again so it's not something to take chances with.

EDIT: some more info on overheating http://www.aa1car.com/library/overheat.htm

Col
04-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Dodgy fuel injection relay, they get hot, the compents expand, you loose power to the engine / ecu.

It cools down and all is well until it gets hot again.

About £20 from VW