PDA

View Full Version : rattling noise at 2800 revs (ish)

apple mike
09-10-2007, 08:10 PM
hi i have a golf driver 1.8 and am only 17 so havent exactly got the most experience with cars.

when the revs reach about 2800 revs there is a rattling sound from under the bonnet. It does it when standing or in the lower gears but couldnt hear anything in fifth - think the engine just covered that noise up.

quite a hard noise to describe cos youve got to hear it really but one person told me that it could be the cam belt tensioner (what is that by the way?) and another person said it could be the heat reflector for the exhaust. He described it to me as a thin piece of metal that may be loose.

had a look round and cant see the piece i was told about but thats prob coz i dont know wat im looking 4. although i may have had to put it on the ramps if its right underneath.

does anybody have this problem too or have you heard about it?

Thanks.

sferg55
21-10-2007, 09:08 PM
It sounds like the heat shield your mate talks about - its a thin piece if metal on top of the exhaust just after the downpipe - my golf, and my dads, does the same thing. Its not serious, but could be costly to replace. Mine was corroded so badly there was nothing left, so I simply cut it off, but you should really get it replaced as its obviously there for a reason.

apple mike
24-10-2007, 12:25 AM
oh rite. thanks 4 that. i was a bit worried as it can be a bit noisy sometimes.

ill get it looked at

thank you thankyou

apple mike
02-11-2007, 05:19 PM
i have located this heat shield (right at the back of the damn engine) and it is slightly loose. the annoying thing is that the nut that i need to tighten is corroded and has lost its shape?

is there any way for me to salvage this?

i thought the obvious idea was to break the nut and bolt and replace them but its such a tricky position, id never get to the underneath of it.

apple mike
03-11-2007, 10:58 PM
AHA! i have just fixed it. i got it up on my mates ramps, bent the side of the shield back, wedged a washer in the gap and bent it back. there is no movement at all!!! just took 4 a test b4 and she sounded sweet dropping a gear - instead of sounding like a clapped out truck!! thanks for the help :biglaugh: