PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Driver side headlight wont go on until i honk the horn, which is also dying.

Tony Canale
29-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Happy Holidays everyone! :D Have an odd issue here maybe one of you can help with..
I'm trying to diagnose a couple issues with my 2005 Touareg ( V6 )
First major issue is my horn comes and goes. At first, it sounded like one side of the horn died but it was still pretty loud so I left it alone. A few days later my headlight decided it wouldn't go on until I gave it a few taps (figured make sure its making contact before anything, and that worked at first). Later on I realized the headlight would go on whenever its off just by me beeping the horn for a second.
Now the headlight is off about 75% of the times i start the car, and tapping it only works about 25% of the time. The second part of the horn started dying, so now you can barely hear it, or sometimes its completely out.
The weirdest part is though sometimes both the horn and headlight are completely functional, the light never goes back on but the horn doesn't usually last. Also, now when the horns working and the headlights out, it only turns it back on about 25% of the time :zx11:.
Basically, there's not much of a pattern, the headlight and horn come and go, sometimes one powers the other back on. I'm wondering if there maybe both hooked up to the same relay or something? I wouldn't even know where to start since the issues an odd one and I only have limited knowledge of cars (also the fact that its only dysfunctional sometimes confuses me).
Anyone ever experience this issue or something similar, or at least maybe have an idea of how to fix it?

Also, Thought I should add but i doubt its relevant. My blower motor slowly started dying over the last few weeks. Also comes and goes but lately doesn't work much. I just ordered a new one and I will probably replace it myself when it gets here, looks like a fairly easy job. I know its not the resistor because it doesn't work with the fan on.
Probably also not relevant, but on occasion the passenger airbag light off blinks (changed the battery recently, that made it happen MUCH less frequently), and I have a hose with a little split in it so I'm throwing a code for what i think is a vac leek, p0068.

PLEASE HELP, I love my Touareg so far but these little things are driving me insane!!

niall campbell
29-12-2015, 08:53 PM
You need to get into the engine and look at the wiring. Your looking for wiring rubbing and shorting on something

Or a bad earth

Tony Canale
15-01-2016, 05:25 PM
BINGO. THANK YOU! though now i have a new problem maybe you can help with since you got this one right