PDA

View Full Version : Creak from turn signal switch (+Video)

bboyspyder
22-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Hi guys,

I've got a Passat B8 with 2000 miles on it owning it from less than 2 months.
I've already complained in another thread about a creaking sound from the instrument cluster. I've managed to always repeat it when I turn on the signal switch and rotate the wheel in the direction in which the signal is turned on.

I went to the dealer and got a mechanic to sit in the car and hear it himself. He was a bit surprised to hear this sound as he didn't notice it before on other cars. It seemed strange to him as well so we decided to go in a showroom car and see if it had the same sound. Strangely enough it did and it was the same on another car that was expecting delivery.

Could you please let me know if you experience the same on your cars. Please see the linked videos and hear it yourself:
IMG 1304 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWZeMs8sXY&feature=youtu.be)
IMG 1308 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0baxsuTGISI&feature=youtu.be)

niall campbell
22-12-2015, 05:04 PM
has the steering wheel got adjustable height and reach ? Might be worthwhile adjusting it fully out and down, spraying say silicon spray lightly in inner area and sliding back into position.

Hopefully the spray doesn't dry out and cures the problem

bboyspyder
22-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Yes it does have adjustable height and reach. I've tried adjusting it and the sound is still there.

There is no creak when just turning the wheel (no left or right turn signal indicator) so I doubt the problem is in the steering column itself.

I'm not very open to the idea to try any DIY repairs as dealers are a b*tch to deal with and seeing anything done from me would **** them off.

BenR
24-12-2015, 11:42 AM
I've listened to both videos on full volume and can't hear a creak. What I can hear, apart from the regular click of the indicators, is the quite loud "clack" that all cars make when you turn the steering wheel past one of the points on the column that will normally "grab" the indicator stalk and flick it back to centre position, if you get my meaning. In other words, nothing unusual.

Otherwise the new B8 is amazingly creak and rattle-free, unlike the previous B7, which had an annoying trim creak from under the instrument panel caused by road vibration in the steering column.

bboyspyder
24-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Exactly that "clack" is what I am talking about.

Previously owned a C Class W204 at 220 000 Miles and it didn't have such a "clack". Before that a 3-Series at 70 000 miles and no such "clack" and that's what made me very amazed - brand new car with "amazing" build quality has such sounds.

BenR
24-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Okay so I've just gone out and started the Passat B8 and spun the wheel around. From straight ahead it takes about 1 and 1/3 turns to go to full lock. If you indicate before turning the wheel, there's a double "click" at around 1/3 turn and another just beyond 1 full turn, both made when the steering column passes whatever it is that cancels the indicator and returns the stalk to "neutral". On my Passat the click is fairly quiet, certainly not loud enough to be obtrusive during normal driving but because it's a double click you could hear it as a creak. From what I know of the typical self-cancelling mechanism having dismantled the stalk on my Land Rover, this is an unavoidable part of the operation of the system.

Any help?

bboyspyder
24-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Thank for describing it on yours.

It seems that it just too loud on my car. Hopefully I can get some help from another dealer as well.