PDA

View Full Version : Tiguan 2.0 SE

henrywalker
19-12-2015, 12:48 AM
Hi
I own a 2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0ltr Diesel! It has gone into "Limp Home Mode" I suspect but without the usual warning lights! It wont exceed 2500 rev/min
I topped up with Diesel this evening & when leaving the station forecourt I was forced to do so lively to avoid heavy traffic from both directions! I have no idea how many RPM it was doing when like magic the car slowed violently as if the brakes had been applied! AT 72 I am not a "boy racer"
Yes I used Diesel not petrol! The engine isn't making any strange sounds & will accelerate up to 2500 but no more! It was serviced by a main dealer in September 2015 & passed an MOT without any advisories! It has 24557 miles on the clock! The car is a 138 BHP version with scintilating straight line acceleration! Normally! If I disconnect & reconnect the battery is there a chance it will reset the ECU please! When first switched on all dash lights illuminate & then go out leaving the seat belt light (red), the Battery charge light(red), the handbrake symbol (red) & the engine symbol (orange) All are extinguished normally, except the h/brake symbol, when the engine is started but 2500rev/min cannot be exceeded!
Is it possible to "over rev" a modern diesel please? In my day the diesel engines were "governed"

Rob69
19-12-2015, 08:41 AM
Hi, welcome to the forum.
You really need to get the car scanned to see what has been logged by the ecu. I wouldnt recommend disconnecting the battery and hoping it goes away, as the code has been logged and is holding it in limp mode. I don't know if yours is one of the last PD engines or a common rail or if it has a DPF fitted. Common limp mode causes are turbo nozzle vanes sticking, turbo actuator problems on the common rail turbo. Yours is very low mileage - mostly short trips?
Can you edit your post to include the engine code, 3 or 4 letters shown on the car build data sticker or page in the handbook. A scan has to your first line of diagnosing this problem.

rowdy-999
19-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Hi!
The only way to over rev a modern engine is to so mechanically! ie change into 2nd gear rather than 4th at 75mph!
Your problem is unrelated!
Get it scanned!!!!

henrywalker
19-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Hi Rob69! Thanks for the reply! I bought the car in September 2014! It belonged to an 84 year old farmer who used it for trips to the shops! It had 18777 miles on the clock when I bought it!
Since then it has made 2x round trips to Somerset & 4x round trips to Whitby! It is the "common rail" engine! The EA/169 2.0 ltr with a recall over the VW cheating scenario! I have received two letters from VW so far! The vehicle was purchased with extended warranty which I renewed last September so the Turbo shouldn't be much of an issue if it needs replacing? I phoned the local main dealer yesterday after the incident but all their technicians went home at 4 o'clock so I was told I would be contacted on Monday! There are no engine management lights showing on the instrument cluster! I have "assumed" limp home mode" because the 2500 rev limit is consistant with hitting a rev limiter like on my motorcycle (12500 in that case though!) I have driven non-turbo diesels & know of the time taken for engine revs to rise! It isn't like that! Throttle response, though limited in revs, is immediate with no roughness or undue engine noise! Like the engine is being controlled by something else!
When it happened there was no deceleration! The car just stopped accelerating violently enough to throw me forward against my seat belt but the engine didn't falter or stop but I noticed the limitation going up a hill! I revved the engine in neutral several times by pushing the accelerator pedal all the way down but it stopped increasing revs at exactly 2500 rev/min every time!
Because of the lack of engine management warnings I assumed there were no error codes logged! I have a VAG scanner but don't know where to plug it in!
Best Regards
Henry

henrywalker
19-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Thanks for your reply Rowdy! In my day, with the likes of Gardner 150's & 180's, they had mechanical centrifugal governors & no electronics?
I will be getting it scanned because it is covered by extended warranty anyway! But with the abscence of warning lights I was unsure & just presumed "limp home mode"
because of the repeatability of 2500 rev/min whenever full throttle was applied! I also assumed that because of no warning lights no error codes would be logged
& I could safely reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery & reconnecting it?
Best Regards
Henry

Rob69
20-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Sounds like you're pretty well covered warranty wise so hopefully get it sorted Monday. Pretty unusual to get one with such low mileage as well.
Know what you mean about the old stuff, served my time on CAV pumps, Leylands and Gardner LXB's. You knew where you stood with them !

henrywalker
20-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Hi Rob! I bought the Tiguan because it was "like" new inside & out! One or two stone chips on the bonnet & a mark on the drivers door where it had caught something low down when being opened! I had a Honda CRV at the time with 75000 miles on the clock but that was 2.0 ltr petrol & drove like a truck! We had just bought a new Passat 2.0 ltr "executive style" when my wife spotted the Tiguan & thought it was new! At £14000 it wasn't cheap but a massive improvement over the "V" which we had used for five years to take four of us to Somerset & back each time covering more than 1000 miles! No Turbo on it! & 27mpg!
Ive found the DLC on the Tiguan! On the drivers side above the pedals! Used my VAG code scanner! No error codes? But the engine still won't rev above 2500 rev/min so I suspect your diagnosis is correct! The Turbo has died? Hopefully the dealer willl contact me tomorrow & take it in for investigation & use their equipment?

henrywalker
20-12-2015, 01:56 PM
Hi Rob! The most amazing thing! The Tiguan is OK! I've just tried it on the road & it will rev & accelerate OK! I'm still going to have it scanned at the dealers but whatever it was has obviously cleared! & no! I didn't delete any error codes I just looked! found nothing & then switched the "ignition" off & removed the scanner!

Rob69
20-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Fair enough! What sort of code scanner are you using, a basic OBDII scanner wont pick everything up. As you say, a scan at the dealers for peace of mind!

henrywalker
20-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Hi Rob! It's a VAG 305! Just got back after a run out & the car performed pefectly! No limits on revs! no warning lights! The car will be taken to the main dealer in Doncaster tomorrow & I will ask them to scan for error codes! When I bought the car it was a year past it's timing belt replacement requirement! I complained so they replaced it FOC (their error) but they also found error codes for glow plug problems which they also replaced free of charge because they had missed the codes during the previous service!
Best Regards
Henry

henrywalker
21-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Hi Rob! & anyone else reading this! Spoke to the dealer this morning! The 2500 rev limit whilst stationary is normal! I have an appointment tomorrow to have the car scanned but in the meantime the workshop manager says "no warning lights! no problem with driving the car!"
Besty Regards
Henry

henrywalker
22-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Hi Rob!
Took the Tiguan into the dealers this am & it has error codes on the ECU regarding fueling! Particularly fuel pressure! So it will go back on 4th Jan
for a fuller investigation to sort the problem involving removing the ECU to test independantly amongst other things! I asked again about the
absence of warning lights but they seemed at a loss as to why! This could be expensive if none of the work is covered on the extended warranty
so I will consider asking VW for a contribution in lieu of their upcoming "cheat" fix!
Best Regards
Henry

Rob69
23-12-2015, 09:05 AM
I've known of a pals fuel pressure regulator problems on ford common rail diesel with Delphi system, hope yours is an easy fix, let's know how it goes. Cheers.

henrywalker
24-12-2015, 02:18 PM
Hi Rob! I will keep you posted because I think it may be important to all on here! When I bought the Tiguan in September 2014 we also bought a new Passat Executive Style! Both have 2.0 ltr diesel engines type EA169 which are under recall for the VW "emissions cheat!" Before my "fueling" problem I was considering purchasing a diesel tuning chip for the Tiguan to overcome whatever "fix" they come up with which in my opinion, despite their assurances to the contrary, will decrease performance & increase fuel consumption! The Tiguan amazed me when I test drove it! It is quick! I have owned a 1993 Corsa GSI from new, which is also quick, & would be given a "run for it's money" in a straight line by the Tiguan which would lose out only on the twisty bits! But the Tiguan, at best, on a run, only returns 33 or so mpg where the VW spiel says it should do 40/50 mpg! The Passat does do 50 mpg without any problems so we shall see! My regards to all on here reading this "tale of woe!" Have a good Christmas & a better New Year!
Best Regards
Henry H Walker

hotmetal
06-01-2016, 09:33 PM
Hi Henry how did you get on? I've got a Tiguan 170 4 motion and that is great. I bought it with 86000 on it though and have had a problem with the EGR and MAF sensor which caused the car to go into limp mode (but with 2 amber EML lights showing unlike you). I was going to say that the 2500rpm thing is normal if the car is stationary in neutral. Mine also does about 40mpg but then with 170bhp and a big heavy car I think it's not too bad. I previously had a Golf GT with the same engine - that was a lot of fun and also problem free. The letter from VW talks about a remap only on these engines. I'd get that done when it's available and then think if you're going to bother getting it chipped.

henrywalker
10-01-2016, 12:28 AM
Hi Rob! An update! Took the Tiguan in on the 4th Jan as arranged! No error codes for them to work on! I have the car back to monitor it's performance! Apparentlly the car did have error codes relating to fuel pressure issues! On checking this is the sort of problem encountered with fitting of Diesel Tuning Chips set on the highest rate! Problem is! there wasn't a chip fitted but I have suspected the car had been "meddled with" by it's previous owner with respect to fuel mapping but the dealer has discounted this possibility as a cause! The car is back to normal & despite my attempts to replicate the condition by accelerating thro "warp facter 10" no result! My next step is to aquire a chip & try it! I have spoken with my insurers & the extra cost to cover it is £27/year since the BHP increases from 138 to 178? max! BTW anyone who fits one of these & doesn't tell their insurer is looking at big trouble if they are involved in a mishap & it is found! No insurance cover whatsoever! So be warned all of you who think you don't need to declare it! If your still interested in my Saga I'll update you in a couple of weeks!
Best Regards
Henry