PDA

View Full Version : Budget of £8k - Help to buy Passat

gunner786
16-12-2015, 05:53 AM
Hi guys.
Got a budget of £8000.
After much looking around and researching i have decided to look for 2.0L SE, Manual 12/62 plate. The car will be uaed as a taxi.
Any advice and any experience with this car?
The mileage in this price is usually about 70-100k. The further north i go the cheaper and better value im finding. Also what are the implications for this range regarding the emmissions scandal i dont want to spend 8k and then get some dreaded news. Car will be minimum 12/62 plate.
Still need to decide on Saloom or estate though

skip24ftlb
16-12-2015, 08:12 AM
Just a word of advise. The further north you go, the harsher the winter. Hence the cars exposed to way more rock salt. One dealer I know won't by any car north of the a19.
have a good look for corrosion on the underbody and alloys. Good luck finding the right car.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

gunner786
18-12-2015, 10:55 PM
For about £6500-7500 there are some hih mileage ones but not too high about 120-130k.
While in the 8k bracker they are between 60k-90k.
Is it worth the extra 1k-1.5k for the peace of mind and less mileage?

Doctle Odd
18-12-2015, 11:00 PM
If youre not a badge snob that sort of money buys a lot of Skoda Superb, it's pretty much the same car

niall campbell
19-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Or a Seat .

My mate had the Passat & skoda Octavia & now Seat.

They are all around the same for taxiing

Mind if you pay less up North, then its less of a Tax rebate you get for costs.

The salt thing I would forget, you will only get a few years out of the car anyway if your doing 50 K a year

gunner786
19-12-2015, 02:57 PM
How do u mean tax tebate mate?

niall campbell
19-12-2015, 10:16 PM
when you file your Tax Returns, you will get a rebate for the year you traded in the old car for a new one, because you will get very little money for it.

Taxi driving is like running a shop. Lots of Overheads, little profit.

All your fuel, car payment plans, insurance & servicing receipts are Overheads. The more you can keep your Overheads down, the more Profit you make.

You get Taxed on your Profits & Assets. So you get Taxed as you can expect on your Wages, but also on the so called value of the car. However when you Trade the car in, you make such a loss for what you get paid, the Tax man will repay you any Taxes he owes you, or you pay very little.

I taxied for 7 years and did around 480,000 miles and most of them were in cavaliers. However the cavalier stopped being made and vectras were rubbish.

I used to do all my own servicing, thinking I was saving money, but the reality was, I wasn't. However, I tried !!

My advice is to try and pay the car over 3 years if you can, because at say 150,000 mileage....................... it will be finished. Any Debt you then owe on the car will be then transferred onto the next car, pushing the Purchase price higher, meaning higher payments, less Profit in wages to you.

Its a viscous circle to get out off, you may try and persevere with the old banger to counteract it & suffer more in repairs, again lowering your Profit.

Good Luck

gunner786
20-12-2015, 02:30 AM
Mucg appreciated advice there mate.
Thanks

gunner786
08-01-2016, 12:32 AM
Anyone know anything about higine? Apparentky has replaced SE but i've only seen 1 highline 13 plate around.
Are they not that common or do they just dont do them in b7?