PDA

View Full Version : AC Service

juice
12-12-2015, 01:25 AM
How often does the ac unit need a service, how much, and is it cheaper at a local garage and will they be able to do it. Thanks.

Rob69
12-12-2015, 08:16 AM
I suppose it depends what you mean by a service; keeping the pollen filter clean is the best thing you can do to keep the evaporator air side fins clean, making sure the condensate is dripping out the bottom and leaving a puddle, listen for any squeels from the clutch when it engages. Some places will offer to do a anti bacterial refresh, killing any mould in the evap coils, but i think if you keep the filter clean and the condy is dripping away and you cant smell anything foisty then it's ok. A refridgerant recharge will evacuate your gas charge, check for leaks and recharge with oil and refridgerant, but if yours is currently working ok then I cant see much point in even getting that done.
There is a filter drier in the fridge circuit but there is no need to touch that unless you had lost the all charge and had got air in or replaced the compressor or condenser etc.
My thinking is if its working ok, leave it all alone!

MiniMental
12-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Agree with Rob, most manuals do state it should be recharged every two years IIRC. It's about £50 at halfords/kwikfit etc. For "full aircon service" but I would wait until summer. Mine needs doing as it lost its "edge" on the cold side of things.

Mini

juice
12-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Thanks both. It's working fine.
I would have thought that looking at the pollen filter might have been included in the £250 oil change.

Rob69
13-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Thinking for 250 quid hopefully you had a dealer 'inspection service' rather than just the oil changed? If so, you maybe got one of the ticked off check sheets which would show what they did and should include checking the pollen filter. I'd still check the filter myself though. Cheap and easy to change regularly.

Rob69
13-12-2015, 08:58 AM
The last car I had to get regassed lost its chill then made weird gurgling noises from the evaporator under the dash shortly before it stopped working, mates golf did the same. Regas sorted them both.

Agree with Rob, most manuals do state it should be recharged every two years IIRC. It's about £50 at halfords/kwikfit etc. For "full aircon service" but I would wait until summer. Mine needs doing as it lost its "edge" on the cold side of things.

Mini