PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen Q7 Faults

Nemo78
23-11-2015, 05:40 PM
As per a couple of posts in the CarPlay thread seems some of us are coming across some little issues with the new Q7.

Therefore starting a post just to keep these together so that we can keep an eye out & give each other a heads up.

- Pre-Sense failure but goes away once car is restarted
- TPMS system malfunction - only had once but quickly disappeared
- Boot doesn't always open properly when released - opens slightly and gets stuck

deano179
23-11-2015, 06:13 PM
I've had an issue a few times where the MMI doesn't switch off (screen retract) when turning off ignition and opening the drivers door.

Have had to turn the ignition on and off again to get it to go off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMB7
23-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Ah the boot only opening slightly and getting stuck has happened to my wife twice. I was blaming user error as it hadn't happened to me but she was sure she pressed it once as normal. I might owe her an apology :)

JMB7
25-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Just a minor annoyance, but the speed limit warning doesn't seem to stay set, and never works on mine. On checking the menu again it's always back to 0.

Jwjaudi
13-12-2015, 07:23 PM
You just need to hold the button a little longer

JMB7
14-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Tried holding longer, it still doesn't save on engine restart. Its also showing as KPH and not MPH like the rest of the mmi and readouts.
Getting it looked at on the 21st as there's also a really annoying problem with the navigation often losing position and not being able to find it again without completely turning off the engine and locking the car. The position shown on screen is often 300 or so yards behind the actual position making picking the right turn if there is a few close together a pain.

Nemo78
14-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Does anyone get a ticking noise for first few seconds after starting up the car and driving off? I know it's not just me as a friends car also does it but neither of us can pinpoint it.

It comes from front passenger direction

JMB haven't tried limiter on mine but will give it a whirl. No issues with nav that I've come across tho

Nemo78
15-12-2015, 10:25 AM
Tried holding longer, it still doesn't save on engine restart. Its also showing as KPH and not MPH like the rest of the mmi and readouts.

JMB mine seems to be working ok but literally only had a play this morning.
Read out is MPH - haven't tried the engine restart bit however

JMB7
15-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Thanks for checking, mines definitely in kmph and not working. At least I can tell the tech guys it should be in mph as well.
Haven't noticed the ticking on mine,will ask my wife to keep a listen out as she's generally more observant.

JMB7
16-12-2015, 12:27 PM
I did notice a ticking noise last night as I was reversing off the drive, but it was only whilst the wheels were at full lock and moving.(It was from the passenger side though)

stonestokie
20-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Yes i get the ticking thing too!, only for first 30 seconds or so when first pulling off!. No idea what it is though!

Nemo78
20-12-2015, 11:27 PM
Thanks guys - I'll mention it when my car is in, in a couple of weeks and let you know (if they know and if they hear it that is)

stonestokie
21-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Cool!, let me know what you find out!!

JMB7
21-12-2015, 11:20 PM
Car was in today to have a few issues looked at. They claimed to have fixed them all but on picking up the speed limiter was still in kmph and not saving. Much scratching of heads and they took it back in while I waited. Worked on the way home but as soon as engine was switched off it reset to kmph and no longer saved.

Sat nav position was also still visibly delayed from actual position making it nearly useless.
And they claim it has the 85 litre tank but only 75 litres is useable. Need to try and get an escalation on this as checking the options sticker showing the codes in the rear well it's not listed.

There was a problem with one of the rear vents too which they do seem to have fixed though so all was not lost. *sigh*

Nemo78
22-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Umm what's the point of offering a 85l tank and only having 75l usable? What happens to the other 10l capacity??

checking the options sticker showing the codes in the rear well it's not listed.

This is the interesting thing, I can't make head nor tail of the option codes that are in the digital service book, only two of them make any sense and nothing else relate to anything I can tell or what I specd! Haven't checked the rear well sticker but would presume it's the same as the book?

deano179
22-12-2015, 02:44 PM
This is the interesting thing, I can't make head nor tail of the option codes that are in the digital service book, only two of them make any sense and nothing else relate to anything I can tell or what I specd! Haven't checked the rear well sticker but would presume it's the same as the book?

I'm trying to do the same thing and work out what the option codes mean vs the spec of car I ordered using the sticker in the rear well, as per another thread, I'm trying to work out why the predictive efficiency assist isn't working as it should.

So far I have matched the codes for the wheels and air suspension, but can't work out what codes relate to the other options in the car I know are there and working!

kite
22-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Try this option decoder.

http://igorweb.org/equidec/

JMB7
22-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Dealer should have a list with what the codes are and what should be fitted. Unfortunately mine would only send me the first page showing the 85 litre tank. Only the optional ones should be on the sticker I think and quite a few of the ones above are on my sticker......just not the one for the larger tank.

JMB7
29-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Just been notified that they need to replace my whole mmi unit to fix the issue with the speed limit warning and sat nav.
Hopefully new one will include the menu option to enter key code for extra audi connect services also. Can but hope.

Nemo78
29-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Just been notified that they need to replace my whole mmi unit to fix the issue with the speed limit warning and sat nav.
Hopefully new one will include the menu option to enter key code for extra audi connect services also. Can but hope.

Eeek! Let us know how you get on with it all. Also if you get the key code option for connect!

Good luck with change over.

Nemo78
04-01-2016, 11:11 PM
I admit this isn't the most helpful post ever but there are 2 software updates on the Q7 - one was referred to as the 'Starter Pack' and for the life of me i can't remember the other update...but I'll try and find out again when I get the call to pick the car up later in the week

Nemo78
06-01-2016, 05:07 PM
Yes i get the ticking thing too!, only for first 30 seconds or so when first pulling off!. No idea what it is though!

So this ticking noise is apparently the Hard Drive for the MMI in the glovebox...

I gave a list of niggles / issues and interestingly they mentioned there is a theme coming out on the new Q7s with similar issues

The other one I have had is my key fob dying and there is a TSB for this not TSB on this but they think the software updates may have fixed this

I've also had TPMS fault and on talking to master tech they've had a few Q7s reporting this...

JumpingJack
09-01-2016, 02:56 PM
Faders for Sat Nav and rear parking cameras are no longer working, but they were.

Within the mmi you can set the level at which the radio will reduce when either 1. Sat Nav cues are being read out or 2. When you engage reverse gear and the parking aid. The options are Off, Low, Medium and High. Up until recently these worked perfectly but alas, no longer. Now When either of these are set to off then the radio does not fade lower as you would expect, however it does not fade lower on either the Low or Medium settings either. Off, Low or Medium all of a sudden have no impact on the level that the radio reduces to hear the sat nav cues or the parking sensors (even when the sensor volume is set to high), it just doesn't reduce at all. If the fader volume option is set to high then it does make a very slight difference and does reduce the volume of the radio but only the sort of slight difference you would expect it to make if set to low.

JumpingJack
09-01-2016, 08:53 PM
I don't think this is a fault as this has been the case on the 3-4 Q7's I have looked at but I cannot understand why it would function like this. If I go into the telephone call list using the mmi popup screen it will show a list of all calls made and received in order and it displays either the contact name stored in my phone or the telephone number that I dialled or that called me. If however I use the telephone view in the centre of the cockpit area looking through the steering wheel to make calls and bring up the call list it displays the names of the contacts that are stored in the phone, exactly the same as the dashboard popup screen, any telephone numbers however that are not stored contact display as "Unknown"

So, if I want to redial a phone number that I have called previously or which called me previously then the only option is to use the mmi popup screen. If however you try to call one of the "Unknown" listings it does actually dial the number that relates to it. The problem is, when there are a number of "Unknown" items in the list you don't know which is which.

I think this is a really strange implementation of this feature and I don'y understand why if the mmi screen can display the numbers, why the call list when viewed on the cockpit can't also. Surely it all comes from the same set of information.

Very odd.

JMB7
21-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Just had the call that my mmi unit was completely replaced successfully......but the bad news is it hasn't fixed any of the issues. They're now awaiting further information from audi tech department as to what to do next. Great!

chrisjerman
22-01-2016, 11:31 PM
Jumping Jack ,That's exactly what mine is like , it is very annoying meaning you have to manually reduce the volume of the radio when reversing. I got Audi to look at it and at first said there was something wrong with it , but in the end on returning the car said that is just the way the new ones are , and in their own words said they can't understand why it gives you the option to alter it when even the highest level of fade is hardly noticeable . Our old q7 worked fine and faded right down .

On another note has anyone found the mpg any better on the new q7 , our old one was a 2011 with a 198 co2 on official figures , and so with the new one being so much lower on co2 and being a grand piano lighter we expected to at least see maybe a 10% improvement on fuel use , however our long term mpg figure in the mmi is exactly the same as the old model at 29mpg. maybe it's because the engine hasn't loosened up yet as we've only done 1800 miles .

Big_D_80
05-03-2016, 01:07 AM
I have a rather annoying ticking or clicking noise coming from what seems to be from behind the dashboard in their New Q7.
Mine is a UK spec Sline 272hp 2015 model.
Everytime I move off from a standstill I hear this chatter noise almost sounds like morse code or similar to the sound of a camera taking lots of pictures in quick succession.
The noise coincides with the led flashing on the key fob so it must be the car detecting that the key is still in the vehicle.
The noise is quite faint but really annoying.

Any help or advice? Is it normal?
I've taken it into the dealer a couple of times and they haven't been able to fix it. The last time they said they had reset the system (whatever that means) but it is no better.
Thanks in advance.

JumpingJack
05-03-2016, 01:19 AM
It's normal. I've had some issues with my car which resulted in a couple of loan Q7's and eventually a replacement car. This ticking noise which lasts for a few seconds has been present in all the Q7's I have driven. I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with the built in storage.

Big_D_80
05-03-2016, 01:32 AM
Thanks jumping jack. It settles the mind a little to know that others are experiencing it. It's driving me mad though.

On the cars you've driven how often did it happen? I can hear the 'chatter' 5 or 6 times in a 20 minute commute?!?! Literally every time I stop at lights and pull away.
Surely this is not right for a £60k+ car?

JumpingJack
05-03-2016, 01:36 AM
No that isn't right. I have only ever heard it when I start the car and the first time I pull away. Take it in and ask to test drive another Q7 to compare.

Nemo78
05-03-2016, 08:02 AM
To be fair I hear it every so often. Initially it was just on start up for a few seconds.

Looking back at the thread I was told it was the hard drive for the MMI unit

Big_D_80
05-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks Nemo. Do you happen to know where the hard drive is located?

JumpingJack
05-03-2016, 03:40 PM
I turned the radio down today and I did hear it again. Not just when I was pulling away. I think as it is consistent on all Q7's there isn't much that can be done.

Big_D_80
05-03-2016, 06:05 PM
I explained the annoyance to a different dealer and they said they'd raise a technical enquiry with the factory. Hoping to hear something early next week. Thanks for helping investigate with your own cars. Cheers

Big_D_80
15-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Some parts are now on order. Still not diagnosed fully.

andyhud007
15-03-2016, 09:15 PM
For what its worth if I sit in the car and turn the electrics on but not start engine I hear a "ticking/clicking noise" behind the dash glove box. I know the sound, its a hard disk spinning up and the clicking gets less, but by the nature of hard drives will never stop completely as data is always being accessed.

I'll try to record the sound at the weekend if it helps?

Andy

Nemo78
15-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Thanks Nemo. Do you happen to know where the hard drive is located?

Sorry late back to this thread...in the glove box so I was told with the SD card/Sim slot unit

satyp
07-05-2016, 10:18 AM
I was told the ticking noise ... comes on initially for a few minutes on the passenger side tyre/hood something to do with the soot build or cleaning?? ..

Nemo78
14-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Has anyone had any gearbox related issues at all? Apparently there is a TSB software fix for this if you've suffered any problems.

andyhud007
15-06-2016, 04:37 PM
As per a couple of posts in the CarPlay thread seems some of us are coming across some little issues with the new Q7.

Therefore starting a post just to keep these together so that we can keep an eye out & give each other a heads up.

- Pre-Sense failure but goes away once car is restarted
- TPMS system malfunction - only had once but quickly disappeared
- Boot doesn't always open properly when released - opens slightly and gets stuck

TPMS and Boot getting stuck if using handle I've noticed too Nemo.

Nemo78
15-06-2016, 07:19 PM
TPMS and Boot getting stuck if using handle I've noticed too Nemo.

Is this the TPMS fault that keeps flashing up? Had that nearly daily on the original car.

Boot - ahh I remember those issues only too well