PDA

View Full Version : Question Apparently no power to "lighter" socket, but fuse seems OK.

ChickPea57
17-11-2015, 01:58 AM
'51 plate Golf V6 4Motion.

I use my "lighter" socket to power my phone/sat nav. A couple of days ago, it just stopped working. I checked the fuse, which seems OK.

What else could be wrong? Broken cable somewhere? Do the contacts in the lighter socket itself ever go bad?

When I dug out the original lighter element and tried plugging it in, it didn't engage, which seems to confirm the "no power" diagnosis.

Any ideas what else to try, before tearing apart the trim?:confused:

Sam
17-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Are you able to see inside the socket to check that nothing has fallen in and is covering the contacts?

Removing it is fairly simple IIRC. There's a Torx bit under the ashtray which, once undone, allows the entire unit to be freed.

pugville
17-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Had this in my A6, turned out the socket was faulty/corroded inside. Pulled the fuse and cleaned the inside of the socket and it worked fine again. Ended up getting a new socket and replacing just for peace of mind.

ChickPea57
17-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Are you able to see inside the socket to check that nothing has fallen in and is covering the contacts?

Removing it is fairly simple IIRC. There's a Torx bit under the ashtray which, once undone, allows the entire unit to be freed.

Colour me stupid.

I was checking the wrong fuse!:Blush2:

I took out the guide (on the inside of the fuse cover) and didn't count properly. Not sure which 15A fuse I pulled, but it wasn't the right one.

It is a bit grubby in there, so when I have a spare moment, I'll remove it and have a good clean around.

As far as I know, no-one has ever smoked in the car, but the "ashtray" does tend to accumulate bits of this and that.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

Sam
17-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Fuse 41 (15a) according to my Googling.

Glad it's sorted and it's not a waste of anyone's time, hopefully someone else finds this thread when they have a similar issue ;)