PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Golf Mk 5 cutting out when idling

MGreenwood
08-10-2007, 01:37 PM
I have an 18 month old Golf GTi, Mk 5, 06 plate, with DSG. Just recently it has started cutting out when idling.
History: - Firstly, I noticed a problem when after driving approx 70 miles (so car nice and warmed up), I stopped and couldn't start it up again. VW Assistance came along with their diagnostic machines etc. and couldn't find the fault. After numerous hours of checks and waiting for the recovery vehicle, I tried to start it and it started up fine. I then drove the 70 miles home no problem. 2 days later,(before getting the chance to get it in to the garage to be checked more thoroughly) it cut out on me while I was idling in traffic. I had only travelled about 2.5 miles, so it was not fully warmed up. Because, it is a DSG/Automatic gearbox, I put it into PARK to try and start it up. It wouldn't start and i was then locked in Park and couldn't even push it off the road. Again, recovery vehicle called and after about an hour and half, it started upon trying. It was taken to the garage where they had it for a week and couldn't find the problem, although diagnostics flashed up a number of faults. They said that they changed the main power relay and thought that this would solve it. I took the car back, drove it around during the week, had no problems and then on a journey from Brighton to Brimingham, whilst on the M25 (outside lane), idling in traffic, it cut out on me again. Fortunately, I kept in Neutral and could push it off the motorway. After calling VW Assistance again and approx 15 minutes later, i tried to start it again and it started.
As it had cut out both times whilst idling in neutral, i kept it in manual the rest of the 2 hour journey to Birmingham and all the way back to Brighton 2 days later, without any dramas.
It has since gone back into VW and although they have been unable to find the fault, they have changed something else and suggested I take it away and try it again.
HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD OF SUCH A PROBLEM WITH THESE CARS?
On an additional note: Under normal circumstances, I would be happy to have my car back and would be happy to test it, but my feeling is that having broken down on the outside lane of the M25, this is a potentially dangerous problem and I do not want it back until the problem has been fixed for definite. This is made worse by the fact that my fiancee is co-owner of the vehicle and unfortunately she is disabled with only one leg. Consequently, pushing the car off a busy motorway or even just a road, would be a no no. My VW dealerhsip has been advised of this, but could say nothing more than to take the car anyway.
I made it quite clear to the Engineer that i spoke with that I am not taking the car away to test, but I will take it if they are telling me that it is fixed. He said that he is happy that the matter is fixed. He did however go on to say that I do not need to put the car in neutral while driving, even when stopped and that even if I put the handbrake on the car will recognise this and the DSG gearbox will automatically be taken out of drive. I tried this in the Gold Pus TDI, DSG that I was given as a courtesy car and found that the car wanted to pull forward and the only thing stopping it was that the handbrake was stronger. I told the Engineer that I wasn't going to drive my car differently to try and avoid a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. When I went to collect the car on Saturday, I was asked to sign the work note. The work note stated that a part had been changed (apologies, but I cannot remember what it was) and that the customer has been advised to test to the vehicle and not to put it in neutral when stopped. I informed them that I would not sign the work ticket as I was not picking the car up to test it as it was too dangerous a problem to have happen again. Of course only weekend people were in, which did not include the Engineer I spoke to. I am due to collect it tomorrow and doubt anything has changed. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS? My fiancee and I specifically bought a brand new VW Golf so that we didn't get this kind of problem.:aargh4:

Ben
08-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Have they driven it or experienced the problem 1st hand?

REDGOLFER
09-10-2007, 11:57 PM
When I got my new Golf, GTi with DSG it was ok for 500 miles. Then it started juddering/losing power and sometimes the emissions light used to come on. I thought at first it was dodgy fuel and posted on this forum. Then it got worse and did a similar thing to yours and lost power on the M1 which was a nightmare. The VW garage scratched there heads and ended up contacting Germany. They took advice and changed the DSG control unit and speed sensor, expensive job but under warranty. Since then the car has been a pleasure to drive (apart from Xenon headlights - see other post) and has done 9000 trouble free miles.

Regards,
Red.

MGreenwood
10-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I have had the Golf from new and it has done over 20,000 miles now and only just started the problem, so I guess it is not been a problem from new.

The Engineers did in the end decide to actually test drive the car putting about 25 miles on it, but could not recreate the problem. However, the revs did drop once and so they have, "adapted the throttle body" and have returned it to me.

I have driven it the last couple of days and had no problems, but watch this space. Last time I was driving it all week and then the problem recurred on the weekend. I have a long journey on Saturday, so the M25 could be fun again.

Regards,

Mike.

MGreenwood
16-07-2008, 07:09 AM
IT WAS NOT THE THROTTLE BODY. BUT, finally, I believe it has been sorted. The problem finally recreated itself while in the garage and it turned out to be a manufacturing fault with the ignition switch. They were amazed it worked as often as it did and believe that the heat would cause the two parts within the switch to separate causing it to occasionally cut out while idling and not restart until it had sufficiently cooled. The whole ignition switch has now been replaced and I keep my finger crossed. This problem never showed up on any diagnostic tests run, even by those done on site of teh breakdown. :biglaugh: