PDA

View Full Version : My Golf mk3 1.4 revs erratically when i drive it

tommo81
08-10-2007, 10:37 AM
My golf 1.4 has recently had a new fan switch and thermostat because the car was overheating. During it's time when it was overheating the revs on the car would begin behaving erratically when i was driving and would occur as the car crept over 100 degrees. Now i've had the above various replacements my car still revs erratically but when the temperature is around 90 degrees.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening still as the car no longer overheats but still seams to share some of it's overheating tendencies? I'm really puzzled!

thanks
Stuart

gold682
08-10-2007, 07:52 PM
When you say erratic idling does it range from about 700 to 1600 rpm ?

If so then my 1.8 was doing the same and I replaced the temp sensor (the sensor with 4 wires going to it on what looks like a thermostat housing on the front (top) of the engine.

tommo81
08-10-2007, 08:21 PM
When you say erratic idling does it range from about 700 to 1600 rpm ?

If so then my 1.8 was doing the same and I replaced the temp sensor (the sensor with 4 wires going to it on what looks like a thermostat housing on the front (top) of the engine.

700-2500rpm. It completely takes over the car. I then put in neutral it starts to calm down, but i've normally pulled over by then.

Did it ever eventually cause your car to rev low enough and drop to the point that it cuts out, then refuses to start straight away? Maybe have to wait 15-20 mins to starts again?