PDA

View Full Version : Question Misleading fuel consuption figures?

PaulLandergan
29-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Hi
Having owned an Audi A1 1.4 TFSI for 22 months from new (2013, 63 plate), I traded it in September for a 1.6 TDI (2015, 65 plate), as I'd been disappointed by the fuel consumption. My calculations over approx., 40.000 miles arrived at an average consumption of around 39 mpg, a figure which tallied very closely with the figure provided by the in-car computer.

The new car is (as hoped, being a DERV,) yielding much better consumption figures, approx. 53 mpg based on the first 2500 miles or so, (my calculations.) However, the in-car computer is displaying a completely different story, suggesting an average for the same period of some 63 mpg. Has anyone else observed this? Is this a fault (!), or a deliberate attempt by the manufacturers to mislead, (not that we've seen that from VW Audi have we?)

Thanks

PL

josedebardi
29-10-2015, 09:51 AM
The DIS can be calibrated using VCDS or if you ask your dealer to with proof of the real consumption. It's quite common for them to be 10% optimistic, tho I have to say my last 2 cars have been pretty accurate (I track all my consumption via fuelly.com)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk