PDA

View Full Version : New to VW - Need some advice Please :)

Mark Prest
27-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Hi Guys, new to the forum - Just wanted to ask a few questions about my car as I just bought a Passat Estate 1.9 PD TDI 2004 (hope its the right section).

How long does a timing belt last on these as last one was changed at 79k now its on 150k.

How easy or hard is it to do timing belts on these?

The hand brake is fairly high and just nips can these be tightened from underneath and how?

Lastly the clutch seems to bight fairly high up, is this usual for a Passat?

Thanks in advance :)

zollaf
27-10-2015, 07:31 PM
welcome aboard. timing belt, 60k max, or 5 years, so get it done . timing eblt is easy enough, you remove the whole front end to get access. do a complete kit including water pump, then refil with the correct g12. you will need timing tools to do it. expect to pay 400 for the whole job, or thereabouts.
the handbrake has a problem, its never just in need of adjustment. first job, get underneath and make certain both levers the calipers are moving back all the way. if not, manually move it back to its rest with the handbrake off, pump the brake pedal and try the handbrakee agaian. chances are one lever is sticking. they do free off or you just replace the caliper. and no, its probably going to need a clutch one day.

Mark Prest
27-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Thanks Zollaf, will give a bash soon!

Sm I posting in the right forum as it says my variant on some sites is 3B6 [2000-2005] Estate and this is a B5 forum?!?!