PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Q7 Data Sim

Nemo78
18-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Ok so I'm about to get the data sim for the car as personal hotspot is good but the phone heats up no end.

Have you seen any good data deals at all?

Also how does the standard sim fit? I tried the sim from our other car but it in the W it hangs out and seems loose. The other car just pushes in and out nice and flush.

Micro is too small (trust me, was a delicate operation extracting it)

Q7newbie
18-10-2015, 06:08 PM
I have a data sim on Three. 15GB data for £9.89/month.

I know Three also supply all data sims with a 3-in-1 sim adaptor. So you'll be sure to find one that'll fit properly.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Nemo78
18-10-2015, 09:31 PM
I have a data sim on Three. 15GB data for £9.89/month.

I know Three also supply all data sims with a 3-in-1 sim adaptor. So you'll be sure to find one that'll fit properly.

Thanks - are you using the standard sim?

Q7newbie
18-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Yes, I use the standard/full size sim.

Nemo78
18-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Yes, I use the standard/full size sim.

Thank you - I'll give it a whirl again tomorrow but confused as to why it doesn't sit in properly and is loose..

Q7newbie
18-10-2015, 10:28 PM
It might be a problem with the actual card slot. 😔

Nemo78
19-10-2015, 07:58 AM
This is how the standard sim hangs out of the sim slot...

It's loose as well as in I'm sure it wouldn't take much to fall out

Anyone else's the same / different before I call Audi at all & look silly [emoji23]

andyhud007
09-03-2016, 11:33 AM
I'm using an EE Sim and getting good 4G coverage (so the display says). Standard SIM size. Goes in glove box.

Nemo78
09-03-2016, 01:37 PM
I'm using an EE Sim and getting good 4G coverage (so the display says). Standard SIM size. Goes in glove box.

Did you have to register your sim?

I opted for a data share on my Voda plan and network wise all seems fine

andyhud007
09-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Hey Nemo

Yep, I ordered the sim online from EE's website (free and free postage) and it comes with 5GB of data on it if I recall. I just registered it online, stuck it in the car, text message was sent to it by EE for verification, looked that up on the MMI, tapped that into the EE website and was done.

Ive got the EE app on my phone so I can keep tabs on the usage of the SIM.

Cheers

Andy

Nemo78
09-03-2016, 01:42 PM
Hey Nemo

Yep, I ordered the sim online from EE's website (free and free postage) and it comes with 5GB of data on it if I recall. I just registered it online, stuck it in the car, text message was sent to it by EE for verification, looked that up on the MMI, tapped that into the EE website and was done.

Ive got the EE app on my phone so I can keep tabs on the usage of the SIM.

Cheers

Andy

Cool explains why the one I bought didn't work as I hadn't registered it...will do so and pop into wife's car.

maxw
13-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Hi All
my new Q7 is due in a couple of weeks so also looking into getting a sim

Apart from map updates info online music etc what do you use the sim for?

do you connect your phone to use your cars wi fi? If so does it make a huge difference when it comes to online stuff on your phone?

reason I'm asking is some times I sit in the car at the lakes while the kids play

where I sit I can't quite get 3G if I moved 100 yards or so I would so wondering if the car gets a better signal than my phone would?

another question is I don't do loads of miles but what size data sim would I need would 2gig be enough?

your thoughts would be great

thanks

M

Q7newbie
13-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Hi All
my new Q7 is due in a couple of weeks so also looking into getting a sim

Apart from map updates info online music etc what do you use the sim for?

do you connect your phone to use your cars wi fi? If so does it make a huge difference when it comes to online stuff on your phone?

reason I'm asking is some times I sit in the car at the lakes while the kids play

where I sit I can't quite get 3G if I moved 100 yards or so I would so wondering if the car gets a better signal than my phone would?

another question is I don't do loads of miles but what size data sim would I need would 2gig be enough?

your thoughts would be great

thanks

M
Theoretically, yes you will get better signal via your cars data Sim. Think of your car as having bigger and more attenas than a small mobile phone.

Wi-Fi quality and speed to your phone? That's alot more fluid. The car Sim module is LTE enabled and the wifi module is AC and dual band (2.4GHZ and 5GHZ). So, on their end Audi have done well, the rest is dependent on what phone you have and what maximum data speeds it can handle via wifi. If you have a Galaxy S5 or newer, or an iPhone 5S or newer, you'll be fine in maximizing performance.

maxw
13-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Thanks for your reply and help

yes my phone is the iPhone 6s so I should be good to go

What size data sim are people needing and using? Will a 2 gig sim be enough?

thanks

m

andyhud007
13-03-2016, 08:15 PM
I have an EE Sim (Standard Physical Size Sim) with 5GB data on it. I have the MMI Sat-Nav set to load Google Maps data by default and I stream internet radio off it too... I think 5GB will see me through a calendar month no problem

Q7newbie
13-03-2016, 08:43 PM
Usage is always subjective... If you are a light user, only really using it for Google Maps and basic on board updates etc, then 2gb should suffice. But if you want to stream some decent quality music or occasionally have the kids Netflix-hypnotized, then 5-10gb would be a safer bet.

Nemo78
13-03-2016, 10:20 PM
My little one drank my 4GB with YouTube streaming...amazing how much data it used (or YouTube she watched) in the 2 journeys. In fairness other than that data usage as mentioned above for just google maps and basic stuff is very light

NickTyler
14-03-2016, 10:27 AM
I have a shared data sim with my phone contract. I have a 20GB limit and like Nemo says, the usage seems very light unless you are streaming HD video.

maxw
14-03-2016, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys I've ordered a 02 data simm 5gb as 02 had a double data deal on and also a 30day contract so I will see how it goes

hope to get the car by end of the month fingers crossed will try then

thanks

M

dghdgh
15-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Looking round in anticipation I would add, Three seem to have the bast value plans with around 2g for £12 pcm. If anyone comes up with a real good deal could you post it as I am tight as a tick.

Nemo78
15-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Looking round in anticipation I would add, Three seem to have the bast value plans with around 2g for £12 pcm. If anyone comes up with a real good deal could you post it as I am tight as a tick.

Is there anything stopping you/us use a sim only tariff sim? I saw three advertising in the shops in retaliation to Voda - 12 month sim. £20pm unlimited everything...now it is a phone, txt and data sim but is there anything stopping usage of those in the car?

dghdgh
15-03-2016, 09:46 AM
That was my intention i.e. to get a sim only data tariff. I don't want voice or texts as I was hoping my current phone would pick up the slack. Hope I am right.

maxw
15-03-2016, 12:00 PM
02 at the moment is £15 pcm for 5gb until the 27th March double data deal 30 day contract

M

srbsq7
07-04-2016, 02:14 PM
If you've got BT broadband, you can get a 4G BT Mobile sim with 3GB data for £10 p/m