PDA

View Full Version : b8 oil colour

ian.roger.smart
17-10-2015, 07:46 PM
hi, I've just purchased a second hand b8 & really pleased. it's done 10k miles. I checked the oil level which was fine but the colour was pretty black., is this normal? should i get an oil change? what are your experiences?

Thanks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zollaf
17-10-2015, 08:17 PM
so, what engine ?

ian.roger.smart
17-10-2015, 08:23 PM
2 litre, diesel

zollaf
17-10-2015, 08:26 PM
in any diesel, the oil goes black pretty quick. even after an oil change it will be black within a few minutes. so no its not a problem. if it was a petrol then it would be. anyway, i would get an oil change as 10k is quite long enough for oil to last. some people are happy with the extended intervals, but 10 k is more than enough..

ian.roger.smart
17-10-2015, 08:30 PM
ah, thanks for this. it's my first diesel so didn't know what to expect. i guess it's good practice to change oil earlier in a new car anyway. I'll get it done. thanks again.

zollaf
17-10-2015, 08:33 PM
just don't be alarmed if you get it changed and the new oil is black, its just what happens. only way to get clean oil is to change it, run it for 5 mins then change it again. its just the way a diesel works.

ian.roger.smart
17-10-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm glad i asked thanks for the information, i could imagine calling the garage and asking if they really did the job!!

zollaf
17-10-2015, 09:24 PM
it happens... peope see black oil and think they have been done over. in most cases it is simply not true..

Crasher
17-10-2015, 10:14 PM
New oil in a diesel engine goes black instantly. A few years ago I had a customer launch off at me, accusing me of not changing his oil because it was black, luckily for me, at the same time as I was pouring the oil into his engine, the editor of a major UK VW magazine was standing next to me and we were discussing the said same issue of instantly black oil so he was able to back me up, never saw the bloke again though so he either did not believe us or he felt embarrassed, I have no idea which. There is also an old proverb that says "only a fool is pleased when his oil stays clean", basically if the oil stays clean it isn't doing it's job of cleaning the inside of the engine.