PDA

View Full Version : Metallic engine noise - problems starting

sgrech
15-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Hello,

Bought an Audi A3 Sportsback 1.4 TSFI 6 months ago

Quite shortly after my purchase my engine started to make a noise very similar to this on a regular basis

1.4 TSI Start noise. - YouTube (https://youtu.be/4AJAzaQKMT4)

As far as I can recall it tends to happen more when the car is cold. It normally lasts no longer than a second or two.
Also it sometimes fail to start first time very occasionally, perhaps every two or three weeks on average - maybe not even that. However today according to my missus it took four attempts.
I am becoming increasingly worried.
Any ideas, sounds like I need to take it to a Audi technician?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Simon

Crasher
15-10-2015, 09:19 PM
The timing chain is stretched/worn and needs replacing, this is often the result of leaving oil changes too long, how many miles and oil changes?

sgrech
15-10-2015, 10:21 PM
The timing chain is stretched/worn and needs replacing, this is often the result of leaving oil changes too long, how many miles and oil changes?

I guess that might explain the noise but would it also affect the ability of the car to start? I fully serviced the car when I bought it. I believe it had three oil changes prior so that 4 in 36k miles.

Crasher
16-10-2015, 04:13 PM
It can cause a correlation error between the camshaft and crankshaft sensors (G40 and G28 respectively) which makes the engine take longer to start as the ECU is struggling to tell where number 1 cylinder is to initiate injection.

s11nny
18-11-2015, 12:11 AM
looks like the timing chain tensioner, common fault on all tfsi engines.