PDA

View Full Version : 2000 quattro A4 tdi water temp indication is unreliable.

handley
03-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Hello,

Has anyone had the problem of the water temp indication settling at zero and occaisionally rising to the mid/normal position?

Be good to here your thoughts before throwing a new temp sender and/or thermostat at her.

And on another note, This car has cloth sports seats is there any chance that they would have the heaters in the seats as standard but just not wired to the car? (Slim chance I know....)

Regards

Handley

El Dingo
03-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Hello,

Has anyone had the problem of the water temp indication settling at zero and occaisionally rising to the mid/normal position?

Be good to here your thoughts before throwing a new temp sender and/or thermostat at her.

And on another note, This car has cloth sports seats is there any chance that they would have the heaters in the seats as standard but just not wired to the car? (Slim chance I know....)

Regards

Handley

1. Yes, I have. It was a corroded connector on the sender.
2. Highly unlikely!

Guy
28-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Handley

I have the same and have changed the temp sensor. The dealer told me that these temp sensors are unreliable and are a generic fit across the VW Audi range. My car is a B6 2.5 TDI. Apparently the more problematic sensors are black with the later more reliable versions being green. My fault has changed significantly since changing the sensor from intermittent problems varying weeks at a time to almost every engine start. I am about to change the connector as this is a cheep option but I am not confident that this is going to resolve the fault. I also have an intermittent power problem associated with slight rough running, I suspect that the engine is running cold mapping due to a sensor fault also. The sensor has two channels, one for indication and the other for the ECU. Has any one else had similar problems?

Cheers

Guy

onzarob
30-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Handley

I have the same and have changed the temp sensor. The dealer told me that these temp sensors are unreliable and are a generic fit across the VW Audi range. My car is a B6 2.5 TDI. Apparently the more problematic sensors are black with the later more reliable versions being green. My fault has changed significantly since changing the sensor from intermittent problems varying weeks at a time to almost every engine start. I am about to change the connector as this is a cheep option but I am not confident that this is going to resolve the fault. I also have an intermittent power problem associated with slight rough running, I suspect that the engine is running cold mapping due to a sensor fault also. The sensor has two channels, one for indication and the other for the ECU. Has any one else had similar problems?

Cheers

Guy

You could try disconneting the sensor wire and grounding it to the engine, The gauge should then hit the hot position if it doesn't you have a wiring/gauge issue.

Rob:D