PDA

View Full Version : Car-net linking to smartphone

ZenDog
06-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Hi,
I have been trying to link my smartphone as a hotspot to my Passat car-net. The Discover Pro system recognises my smartphone, but it is in grey on the screen and I need to select it in order to click "Next". I have tried using a password on the Hotspot and no password and get the same result.

The phone is a OnePlus One.

Anybody had the same and fixed it?

ismart
27-10-2015, 07:37 PM
I experienced quite a few issues with my phone as hotspot. Bought a car stick off ebay. works a treat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

technik
19-12-2015, 12:06 AM
I've had no problem connecting to my iPad, but despite getting connected to my phone, it just drops the connection straight away. Just seen a comment on the infotainment bugs thread saying there is an update to the software out?

Derry66
24-03-2016, 12:31 PM
I have just bought a new Touareg 262 R Line and am completely unable to get a definitive answer from VW on how to do this - I am variously being told that A) I CAN use the phone (iPhone5) as a hotspot, then B) that there 'may be some problems' then C) that I CANNOT use the phone and must use a separate SIM card. However, if I use a separate SIM card for the Car-Net features, I will be unable to connect the phone via bluetooth!! Is this really the case? Did VW really spend millions designing and developing the system so that it would operate like this? It beggars belief. Can anyone help? (certainly, I am getting no sense from VW beyond telling me they will let me know the steps to take if I choose to reject the car!)

YawnGumbo
06-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but has anyone ever got Car Net (or AppConnect) to connect through an iPhone 6? I am having the same problems as the original poster above with the phone showing but it being greyed out. I don't really want to have to purchase an additional device just to get this working. I only got my car this week, so I assume it has the latest software updates, but is there any way to check?

YawnGumbo
08-05-2016, 12:06 AM
Just to advise that I got this sorted. I read the manual which is a bit controversial I know, but it actually helps sometimes it seems! Anyway, for future reference you select it through Menu, Setup, then WLAN, tick the box and connect to your personal hotspot on your phone. Works like a dream :)

i can't get CarPlay to work, but it says it's not supported on my phone so I guess I'll just put up with that. Not fussed by it anyway.

MattB247
04-06-2016, 06:33 AM
I've found, with iPhones, that the car won't automatically reconnect the WLAN to your phone unless you go into the personal hotspot setting area on the phone, then it will connect. I'm thinking it's more of an iPhone issue than VW if I'm honest.

YawnGumbo
06-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Ah I found the only way to get the iPhone to connect automatically using the personal hotspot was to turn off Bluetooth (something that someone else posted on this forum). It seems you can't have the phone connected on Bluetooth and WLAN at the same time, or at least not initially, so the Bluetooth always takes precedence. As I use my phone with Bluetooth all the time I think I'm going to need to look at a MiFi device if I want the CarNet features. Though tbh I've coped without them for the past month, so will see how I go.

MattB247
06-06-2016, 08:56 PM
If you go to the settings / personal hotspot menu on the phone, turn it on, stay in that menu then go to the Nav system and go to menu / settings / wlan on the car (even with Bluetooth connected), turn wlan on and it should then pick the phone up. If it doesn't, toggle wifi hotspot off and on again and it should connect. I have to do that with my 5S.

YawnGumbo
06-06-2016, 10:28 PM
Thanks I'll try it.

MattB247
07-06-2016, 05:07 AM
It might be a security thing with Apple - it's a pain in the *** though as it takes me 30 seconds to connect the damned phone when I get in the car!

YawnGumbo
07-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Your method worked a trick when I tried it this morning, so thanks for that. Seems you do have to stop and start the personal hotspot to get it to connect, but once there is all worked with the Bluetooth, so thanks for the tip! My iPhone connects fairly instantly to Bluetooth - much quicker than it ever used to in my A4.

MattB247
07-06-2016, 05:15 PM
My BT connects quickly too, gives me extra time to spend on turning Wifi hotspot on and off to get it connect lol