PDA

View Full Version : s-tronic or tiptronic for 2008 - 2013 3.0 tdi

DAVIDHUNTER72
04-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Hi all,

I have been doing a lot of googling. Looking to buy a 3.0 Tdi quattro between 2008 - 2013 price dependent. I will then be tuning it up using Revo or something similar to around 300bhp if possible with exhaust etc.

Which gearbox do you think is the best and strongest for tuning purposes? or even the manual one?

I notice the new A4 uses stronic for the lower powered 3.0 and the higher powered 272bhp one uses tiptronic does this indicate the tip is stronger?

Its not really a question of which box is better but which box is stronger.

Thanks for any help

David

satsu
04-10-2015, 08:35 PM
The New A4 brochure says that the Tiptronic is now the only box available for engines with over 400Nm of torque. It's also the only box available on the new S4 as well as the 313bhp Bi TDI in the A6. This suggests to me that Audi aren't happy with the longevity of the 7-speed DSG in those high-torque engines. Annoying as I was looking forward to upgrading to a 272bhp B9 with the S-tronic box.

I can't comment on the relative strength of the manual vs. auto boxes but from a driving point of view the standard 240bhp 3.0TDI already needs you to whip through the lower gears pretty quickly so I'd probably be looking at an auto box to keep up with a 300bhp monster!

DAVIDHUNTER72
05-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Hi satsu,

Thanks for the info. I take it as a B8 owner and the fact you are looking at the B9 you are very happy with the range then (I won't mention emissions !!) although if that helps bring down the price of secondhand ones then all the better if people are silly enough to sell their cars because of a static emissions test/ cheat device.

I am definitely set on the auto box and was going to go for the s-tronic until I saw the new info like you have and immediately thought whats up with the s-tronic and why is it not in all of them. With the REVO and other maps you get around 500Nm so that could be shortening the s-tronic box life just to get a quicker change.

Is your present avant the s-tronic or tip? are you selling it?????

Anyone else able to confirm / deny auto box strengths for real not just wild rumors?

Cheers again

satsu
09-10-2015, 07:49 AM
Very happy with the car. Hasn't put a foot wrong or needed a drop of oil in 7 years. Lovely engine, does 40+ mpg once it's warm. Its only weakness is the time it takes to warm up on cold days - you'll be looking at 20-something mpg on trips less than 5-10 miles in the winter.

Mine is a good old-fashioned manual and I'm probably going to give it a while for Audi to iron out any teething troubles with the B9 before I take the plunge. I'm just tempted to go and see what deals are available right now - I guess that the Audi dealers aren't shifting many diesels and might be happy to get a decent sale on the books!

I'm also curious whether anybody else has more concrete info on the S-Tronic. I'd also be tempted to hang on for the B9 if Audi are planning to re-introduce it on the 3.0TDI.

Gazwould
09-10-2015, 08:22 AM
A B8 or B8.5 3.0 tdi the manual clutch is rated 50 Nm more .

If S- Tronic goes wrong it's big bucks .