PDA

View Full Version : Major issues with 2001 V6

Luke Bolger
01-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Hi everybody,

My brother has bought a VW Golf 4Motion V6 (2001) from a friend of a friend.

The back wheels aren't moving on the Jack but the drive shaft is spinning... There's an inconsistent rumbling noise from the base of the car... The throttle doesn't seem to be very responsive... with what sounds like a possible misfire.

He has already forked over £1100 to a VW garage, for a major service (oil and filters! £300!!!!) and (allegedly) a new drive shaft and hub, but the car is running much worse after this so called service than it was before!

The VW dealer are now saying it would cost circa £3000 to fix the 4 wheel drive issue.

Obviously that's a no go.

Can anyone suggest what may be wrong with the car - and what are the realistic options?

Do you know of any trustworthy and reasonable mechanics who maybe have a reputation on the forum that could fix it - or is it time to cut the losses?

Cheers!

Luke

zollaf
01-10-2015, 09:22 PM
misfires are normally the coil pack or the leads.pull the ht leads out and see if the ends are rusty. they are deep in the top of the head and water gets in. as for the 4x4 system, you need to be certain its not working before fixing it. is the rear prop spinning when the front wheels are not turning ? you need to try wheel spinning in a straight line to see if the back end kicks in. the main earth cable is known to corrode and stop it working. look for it above the rear diff. as for the noise, could be anything, prop centre bearing ?

christopher_bol
02-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Thanks,
I'm the brother the guy who owns the car.
I've had a look at the coil pack and they do seem to be a bit rusty, can I then clean themup or do they need replacing?
As for the 4x4 a mechanic said the rear diff was broke but you are right I should double check first before I think of repairing, I'll have get the car on jacks and have a look.
Is it correct to say though that if the 4x4 is working then the car should not wheel spin whatsoever? And on the other hand if it were broken should I not get a warning light to tell me so?
If the diff has gone VW want £3000 grand for the part alone, is it worth trying to get a second hand one instead?
Thanks

zollaf
02-10-2015, 11:16 AM
oof, i would get a new coilpack and some leads and spark plugs. fit that lot and job done. as for the haldex, put car on flat road and pull away hard. there should be no wheelspin. there are various reasons why it won't work, the earth cable being one, or the thing has run out of oil, but they are pretty bullet proof, its usually the controller not engaging it. its like an electric clutch in there.