PDA

View Full Version : Golf MK4 Engine problems!!!!

michaelkayll
03-08-2006, 10:37 AM
I have a 2000 (W reg) mk4 1.4s 16v with 50k on it, my problem is that the engine 'judders' when standing still & it feels as though it might cut-out but never does. It started doing this intermittently about 2000 miles ago but does it nearly all the time now! Does anybody know what may cause this?

The cambelt hasn't been changed yet but would this cause the (for want of a better word) juddering?

Thanks!

Mk2 Forever
03-08-2006, 10:34 PM
The cambelt in these engines is the same as any other fibre product, over time it will stretch slighty, fray and perish. Failure of a cambelt will create a huge inconvenince for you. I have experianced this juddering before, and despite looking at all the deep issues i missed the basics for a long time. The cam belt had stretched and the timing was every so slightly out, although the vehicle would drive as normal it would judder and the revs would bounce on occasion at tickover..My advice would be to check your timing belt, get it changed if its due and see if the problem persists following this.

michaelkayll
04-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks for that! I'll have a look at it!

Petesvw
23-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi
Hive you solved your judder problem yet? I have A 1999 Golf TDI same problem. Would like to know if anyone has had this fixed.

Golfer7
23-10-2006, 08:13 PM
You will probably have a throttle housing bunged up with oily deposits from engine breather system...
Solution, Take to dealer to have throttle housing stripped cleaned & base settings reset...
90% sure this will be your problem
Hope this helps Golfer7
Let me know outcome...
P.S. any garage competent garage could strip and clean throttle housing but revs may hang/stick after this is why base settings may/should be reset after...
P.P.S sometimes maybe 1/10 will go bertie

adamss24
23-10-2006, 09:49 PM
ECU is learning the fueling maps by himself but its easier to download(have the dealer do it ) the right program. Bassicly you just remove battery , switch lights on and off to clear static and reconect. Drive car normal and take it on the motorway and give it somme stick ! Put the engine trough all driving loads if possible ! It takes about 2 days for ecu to learn.

Petesvw
24-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi
Thanks for all the advice. VW are going to have a look! on Friday and let me know what they think the snag is. I wil keep you informed of progress and mention some of things suggested.
Many Thanks
Pete

tyce
27-10-2006, 07:39 PM
any follow up with vw

Petesvw
05-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Hi yes the judder problem is due to the duelmass flywheel apparently! fitted tjis will cost me 700 pounds. I have had power loss aswell and have just hsd the air flow meter replaced. What a difference.

loupee
12-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Have you had it changed and did it make a difference? How bad was it juddering because mine has been doing it a bit lately. Does it get worse?

JoeT
13-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Hi petesvw - what dealership quoted £700 ? I have experienced almost exactly the same problem straight after the dealer changed my cam belt. Serious vibration from my accelartor and clutch pedal which they could not diagnose, so I took it to another dealer and have now been quoted £1134 to replace twin mass fly wheel and they also recommend a new clutch at an additional £527 ! I contacted VW UK who may contribute as the car has a fsh however, this is not definite as its 6 moths out of warranty. I still believe the cam belt change had something to do with this as the fault only appeared immediately after I picked the car up.

I'm not well versed to the mechanics of my car so I'd welcome any advice from other board members on this situation too.

TIA.

JoeT

imyontour
10-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Hi, I have had this same problem on my VW GOLF 1.9 SE TDI V Reg. The engine/clutch has been juggering for the past 4000 miles! But the problem is, it only starts doing it after an hours worth of driving. My car has done 107k on it, and have been told by a local reliable mechanic it's the Fly Wheel that needs replacing. Very costly, as the fly wheel/ clutch will cost £700 just for the parts!! Thinking of selling it soon though now...,

imyontour
10-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi, I have had this same problem on my VW GOLF 1.9 SE TDI V Reg. The engine/clutch has been juggering for the past 4000 miles! But the problem is, it only starts doing it after an hours worth of driving. My car has done 107k on it, and have been told by a local reliable mechanic it's the Fly Wheel that needs replacing. Very costly, as the fly wheel/ clutch will cost £700 just for the parts!! Thinking of selling it soon though now..., Anybody wanna buy it let me know. Looking for £3500 FSH. Silver, colour coded, tinted windows, cd changer etc. New spare wheel, and Nokia car kit for Nokia 6233.

JEZZER
12-12-2006, 01:58 AM
APPARENTLY ITS A COMMON PROBLEM ON THE MK4 TDI AT IDLE.JUDDERING THAT FEELS LIKE THE CAR WANTS TO MOVE FORWARD ON ITS OWN.IF YOU REMOVE THE SPEEDO CABLE/PLUG FROM THE GEARBOX IT WILL DISSAPEAR GUARANTED EVERYTIME.TROUBLE IS NO SPEEDO READ OUT.LOTS OF INFO ABOUT IT BEING THE FLYWHEEL.HAVE HEARD THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE THAT VW ARE AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM AND THERE IS NO CURE UNLESS THE ECU IS REPLACED/ REMAPPED.