PDA

View Full Version : Tell me something good about your Passat B6

forge197
07-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Hi All,

I am getting at some point this month to replace my MKV Golf GT TDI it's a Passat 170 TDi SEL DSG Estate, which is great and yes Passat170 i'll check the cruise so no need to ask :p

Having had a good look through the posts there doesn't seem enough positive posts on how great the car and I'd like to think some of you are very happy with them?

So post up your happy stories I've seen the negative I'd like to see the positive. Personally I am looking forward to it and on the test drive it drove and behaved brilliantly.

Thanks

BenR
08-10-2007, 11:56 AM
I know how you must be feeling! For every fan there seems to be one detractor of the Passat. Here's my take on it after 6 months of driving the 140ps, manual, SE estate:

Cons: that hand brake! (but you'll learn to live with it). Some cheap plastics in cabin. Not sure about the comfort of the driver's seat but there's plenty of adjustment.

Pros: nice smooth nippy drive, great family car with more space than my previous A4, willing engine, great stereo (500) nice styling but still discreet and un-ostentatious. Good at motorway speeds.

Given my admittedly mild dislikes I reckon your SEL estate with DSG and 170ps ought to be almost the ultimate Passat. Others say the DSG is a real cracker.

passatMP
08-10-2007, 01:43 PM
it's a really tough one for me.

been driving the old Passat 1.9TDi 133bhp for the last 3 years. it was just before the new one was realised so i got the highline version (which is upgraded with leather seat, parking sendsors etc) - absolutely love it.

Just last month got the new Passat 2.0TDI SEL (saloon) - DSG 170PS.

Really got mixed feelings about it. I do agree that it's a bit more plastic on the inside and the seat maybe not as comfy as the old one. Also not keen on the 3-spoke steering wheel - really to prefer the old 4-spoke one with leather tream. If you've still got the chance i suggest you go for the multi-funciton steering wheel with paddle shift.

On a possitive side though (and most improtanly) the drive is fantastic. Very smooth, sharpe and responsive. They on board computer is also improved and like the dual Climate control.

Oh - also put on the manufacturers Bluetooth preparation - fantastic but check your phone first. Most Nokia's work but cannot get my Blackberry to work with it which is a bit annoying.

like i've said at the begining really tough one for me as i am making a direct comparison with the old version which is already a great car. If it was up to me i would design a model that is in between the two!!! i would go for the engine and some of the added gismos of the new one but i would keep a lot from the old design.

I am sure you'll love it.

forge197
08-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks for that, there does seem an unbundance of negativity towards them, I think the handbreak is more suited to the auto than the manual.

The car as the MF Wheel and Paddles not Bluetooth but having Parrott added. It has most stuff on it, it's an ex demo in Steel Grey

Currently have a MK5 Golf so quite used to rattles and cheap plastic's. I found the sports seats very comfy on the test drive so seems to me a nice machine to lugg my bikes about in.

Also I like the fact and this goes for the Golf it's anonymous i've owned some cars that are not and I like as I do in the Golf to just go about my day and not stand out I've been there and done that now I want a comfy auto to take me to the moutain bike trails.

Quatrelle
08-10-2007, 09:00 PM
You have to work on the assumption that for every one 'complaint' on here there are probably hundreds of satisfied owners - and it's probably fair to say that many of those that post what seem like negatives are also among the 'satisfieds'.

I wanted a quiet, comfortable cruiser with good acceleration, which is what I've got. I chose it in preference to its Japanese and French rivals - the latter even though I live in France, because of reliability issues. We shall see!

forge197
08-10-2007, 09:23 PM
When we had a new MINI the forums were littered with negativity in it's early days. From what i've read it seems the 05/06 cars appear more regularly than 07 obviously there are more in production, sometimes the first run of a new model does have teething problems, eitherway looking forward to getting mine

PNS2007
08-10-2007, 11:39 PM
I am really pleased with my 170 sport TDI DPF. I previously owned a late 05 plate B5.5 1.9 TDI 4 motion Highline with leather etc etc and loved it. The B6 is a totally different car. Build quality not so good but power wise and day to day driving far better. No problems with mine the seating position is fine and I've driven some 300+ miles towing a caravan. If I dare mention towing, my new passat doesn't seem to have the low down grunt as my previously B5.5 passat and I've stalled it a few times but mpg wise I regualarly get 45-50 around town and no oil top up's!! (thats without the caravan before you all gasp). With the caravan I got 35 mpg which was a good 10 mpg more than the 4 motion. I've yet to drive the new one in the snow but for the odd week or so of snow do you really need 4 wheel drive? My car also has the VW body kit which really sets it off. Totally proud and no, I'm not a boy racer.

forge197
09-10-2007, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the write up sounds more positive :) Interesting about the low down grunt, do you notice that more whilst towing than day to day? Also the body kit what does that look like do you have a picture? Am liking the sound of the MPG your getting that would be great.

angus
09-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Drivers seat is comfy (140TDI Sport Estate) and theres lots of room in the back. Its also stable when towing.

Unfortunately the trim plastics are poor compared to a Passat 5.5, the handbrake is rubbish (in particular on one very steep hill junction where it will NEVER release), uses oil (6 litres in 24k), peakier engine not as good at towing as old 130TDI Sport, and 5mpg worse when towing, creaking glovebox (still, despite being back three times), front brakes lock prematurely (even gentle braking), and the radio goes from quiet to deafening with not intermediate steps.

Not impressed, from a long line of VW`s, it may well be the last.

forge197
09-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Unfortunatley you will find the plastics in the majority of more modern cars to be worse than the B5.5 or B5.

The reason being IMHO recycling, the Mk4 Golf interior is of superior quality to the Mk5, the E46 BMW is of better quality and a E90, and from the evidence here the B5 was superior to the B6.

samblackman
09-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Have the Sport saloon version of the same car - 2.0 Sport 170 DPF on a 07 plate.

Pros -
Quick car and not too thirsty considering;
Good handling for a car of its size;
Loads of space in the boot;
Parking break - yes I think its great, but I have auto-hold installed which makes a huge difference over just the hand break button.

Cons -
Oil needed topping up with 1L at about 7K (am at 11.5K now and not had to top up again yet);
Lots of rattles & squeeks coming from the dashboard;
Ipod dock not fully integrated with CD player - doesn't display track names.

forge197
09-10-2007, 12:50 PM
samblackman is yours a manual or a DSG

Can you explain the auto-hold function I don't think I quite get that, mine has it as it's DSG and there was a button for it.

passatMP
09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
with automatics normally when you come to a stop if you lift your foot off the stop petal (provided you are on a level road) the car tends to move forward - with the Auto Hold feature when you come to a complete stop it applies the hand break BUT to pull away you only need to accelerate i.e not need to depress hand break

if it makes more sense the auto break replaces the break petal. usefull when you are on a hill.

hope it helps

forge197
09-10-2007, 01:39 PM
OK that makes sense.

But what is doing my head in and it doesn't affect me but

In the manual gearboxed car if you press the (P) and put the handbrake on, and then hold the car on the clutch thus using the accelerator does that disengaged the brake meaning you are commited to moving on or re-engage the brake.

So with Auto Hold is it on by default so it sense's if you are rolling back on say a steep hill?

carl s
09-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I have a 2.0 FSI Sport estate, one of the few people on here not to have a diesel. There are a few niggles with the interior quality, which seem to get worse when the temperature goes up! But on the whole it's a very nice place to be. The dash design is great, the cabin is well thought out with plenty of storage and lot's of space behind the seats even if you're tall. The seating position is excellent and the Sports seats are a real improvement over the ones found in the SE and S. It's nice and quiet at speed and VW have kept the traditional windscreen design rather than putting in those ridiculous raked screens that necessitate a front quarterlight window.
It may be that my car is specced quite high but there are lots of lilttle nice touches such as auto lights, mirrors (even the side mirrors) wipers, coming home lights, night lights in the cabin, two chilled compartments, passenger dipping mirror when in reverse, extra wiper sweep 10 seconds after you wash the screen, the way it turns the a/c onto recycle to prevent the cabin smelling of washer fluid, the front door pockets will hold 1 1/2 litre bottles, centre rear armrest with ski hatch, the list goes on and on.

Most importantly it is a nice experience to drive and delivers me unruffled at the end of a long drive. My last two cars were a Legacy estate and Accord Tourer. I'd rate the Passat over both of them, despite the press hailing them both as cars for keen drivers.
I think the Passat does exactly what it sets out to do, be a comfortable family car that you can have the occasional bit of fun in on a back road.

The oil consumption may just be the TDI's as my Petrol car has used only 1/2 litre after 9,500 miles. The MPG is between 33-38mpg depending on conditions which is better than the Accord and Scoobie, and not too far off the 170tdi. The Petrol car seem to be more relaxing to drive around town as there's no big surge as with the TDI's I've tried.

Romark2001
09-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Have to say, despite a couple of niggles I have posted in the forum seeking advice for I have been very pleased with my passat. Have had a number of different company cars over the years including Fords, Peugots and even a couple of celicas but this has been my favourite of the lot. It has ample room and is great to drive and when I picked mine up January of last year customers thought I had been promoted!!!
I have also received the best customer service with regards to servicing and problems so can't complain there. If it wasn't for an expanding family and big dog I would go for another one now that mine is up for replacement.

forge197
09-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks that's more positive I feel better now about it now :)

LuvWatch
09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Another thing that I get a thrill from and which is now starting to annoy the kids and wife - is the headlights follow you
round corners :arms: how cool is that :cool:..........and as you turn into a corner another light comes on to illuminate that side..........hahahah....it's magic I tell you.

Why does it annoy the kids and wife..because before approaching a bend or turn I say " Get ready watch
the lights...see.. .see.... .did you see the lights move".

I know it's sad, I'll get my coat :bigeyes2:

Regards
Derek

A sad git driving a 2.0 fsi (200ps) Sport with bells on.

forge197
09-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Are you have the Xenon's then, I beleive that is one of the few toys mine doesn't have. Still got a few weeks to wait before I can have it looking forward to it and more ease of loading my bikes up.

need to sort a boot liner too

samblackman
09-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Forge,

I have the manual version. The auto hold does as passatmp says, but works fine with the manual as well, although obviously you still have to use the clutch. It doesn't come on automatically if the car rolls back, but it does come on as soon as you stop by using the footbrake.

Sam

carl s
10-10-2007, 09:20 AM
If you're getting an estate, get on of these loading sill protectors, as it's very easy to scratch the top of the rear bumper

http://www.kamei-online.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel3.php?emulate=whycar&query=6098&vptype=&brand=Kamei

Looks good on darker colours as well.

sathound
10-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Alternatively, if you are going to get a load liner for the estate such as www.hatchbag.co.uk then you can get one with an attached protection strip which you can drop over the rear bumper when loading and unloading dogs etc!

BenR
11-10-2007, 03:44 PM
VW also do a load sill protector, which is thick clear plastic film, about £40 IIRC.

Forge, where do you go cycling? I'm in Lancashire, see my club on www.blackburnbikers.co.uk (http://www.blackburnbikers.co.uk) One good point I forgot to mention is that with the seats folded I can roll my hardtail MTB in backwards, angled obliquely without needing to remove the wheels. I just have to protect the trim after a muddy ride.

forge197
11-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all that I am a down south cyclist so do Swinley Forest and head to Afan, Cwn Carn and the like. Also heading to Coed in North Wales later in the Month.

I'll have a look at the above mentioned products.

macker6464
16-10-2007, 09:30 PM
The handbrake button.:biglaugh:

I quite like it although I know a lot don't. I have only had the car for a couple of weeks and I have not read the book yet...however here is something I discovered about the handbrake.....

After slating it because the brake did not auto release in a pub car park when I was parked on a downward slope trying to reverse I did some checks recently and found that without my seat belt on the auto function doesn't work.

I am not saying the handbrake is fab but once you filter out those that do not know the seatbelt influence (my in-laws this evening for example) I think there may be more people that warm to the auto release aspect.

I have a big hill start right turn just out of my work and enjoy just pumping the throttle (confidently) to get away. Nice for a manual box 140ps TDI Sport.

Good positive thread!
Macker6464:beerchug:

angus
18-10-2007, 09:38 AM
The handbrake also won`t release if the doors aren`t shut properly, or if you don`t fully depress the clutch.
The latter point I find really irritating as instead of sitting in what I would term my optimum driving position, I have to sit further forward to full depress the clutch, instead of the position I have been comfortable in for the last 35 years, where i can depress the clutch beyond the clearance/biting point but not having to bury it in the carpet.

The seat belt/door/clutch rigmarole is an utter pain if you`re trying to hitch up a caravan unaided, when you may have to get in and out and reposition a couple of times. It wouldn`t be so bad if you could rely on the thing to release properly, but mine doesn`t (apparently 1 in 4 have the same affliction), and on a couple of occasions I`ve nearly had an artic up my chuff as traffic lights change, i go to set off and it just squats down. Unfortunately the truck behind naturally thinks I`m going, so acts accordingly.
Worst of all is a narrow blind junction I have to negotiate occasionally. A 1 in 4 hill, you have to stop to turn into another similar hill (which is single-track, high walls) and the handbrake will NEVER release. So you either have to release it manually and hope you can get your foot off the footbrake and onto the throttle AND get enough revs on so it doesnt stall before you roll back too far, or (if theres someone on your tail) absolutely rev the nuts off the thing and slip the clutch till it stinks. It eventually releases, but not fully for probably 50 yards. Apparently it`s `within specification`.

Electronic handbrake? The answer to a question no-one asked.

I can put up with the rattles and the oil consumption, but given a choice between somthing with a `proper` handbrake, and the Passat, next time I would plump for somthing like the SAAB 9-3 (had the chance, but brand loyalty became blind loyalty, despite an appalling experience with the VW dealer I got the last on off).

Quatrelle
18-10-2007, 01:15 PM
angus - I think if I were you I would take the car back and reject it as it is clearly unfit for purpose under the Sale of Goods Act. Not only is it not working as it should, it is dangerous...Either that or your dealer should set it up properly. VW aren't the only ones using this type of handbrake, so it's not exactly unknown territory.

My handbrake works ok, and on the rare occasion when it doesn't I wonder if it isn't me not depressing the clutch sufficiently (yes, that aspect can be a nuisance).

Bizarrely I also decided against a 9-3, but mainly on the basis of a lack of Saab dealers in France and certainly not within an hour of where I live. Unlike you, though, I'm happy with my Passat (we shall see....).

forge197
20-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Got my Passast this week already done 400 miles and will do another 100 today!! The handbrake with autohold is excellent but I still think it lends itself to the DSG which I have so that's good, I think Autohold should be standard on the whole Passat range. So far so good and today it will be transporting my bike in the boot, got a carbox low liner coming in the next week or so. Paint seems to chip easily but I do alot of miles so that just an unfortunate by product of use. The seats down process is a bit of faff remove head rests, remove lower bench, lock in place, lower back seat at the moment the back seat is laying on the bench at the moment but I will do proper method next time. So far it's all good but then I am in the honeymoon period :)

Gordy
24-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Concerned about the parking brake at first. I was not depressing ths clutch sufficently and the brake would not release. With my seat positioned correctly everything is fine and I now think that the electronic parking brake is brilliant.
1.9 TDI engine is just great for those of us who live in the backwoods and drive mainly on minor roads. Fuel economy is fine, better than my previous 1.6FSI Golf. The estate has bags of room and its nice to have a spare wheel that is not a space saver, I've only used a space saver once, it was a sod on badly maintained minor roads.

steve_c
26-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Auto-Hold function is great on DSG and comes as standard with DSG models as when you're doing a hill-start on a DSG without the brake or auto-hold engaged the clutch is tring to bite on a car rolling in the opposite direction putting additional strain on the gearbox and particularly the clutch.

Also, don't know if any of you have tried it, but with the engine off, you can actually roll the car in reverse in neutral, presumably as the clutch is isn't engaged.......

And BTW, the car is great, as long as you get one that the interior doesn't continually rattle.......later models seem to be much better (although not perfect) than the earlier ones. As a previous poster has mentioned, am sure it's partly down to using components that can be recyled......

Quatrelle
26-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Mine doesn't rattle (or rustle?) any more - touch wood! I don't know whether that's because the weather has turned colder or because a while ago I sprayed ptfe lubricant onto various parts of the trim, especially the glovebox fixings, as advocated by someone on here.

claranet
27-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I have two Passat Estates: a B5 03 S TDi(100) in Reflex Silver and I have a brand new B6 170 DPF Sport in Shadow Blue.

The B5 was and still is a brilliant car it gets on with the job of shifting our two dogs, going to the Tesco etc. My only complaint is the rear n/s tyre wearing on the inside shoulder but as £60 every two years is cheaper than the £100s for 4 wheel alignment. It also decided not to recognise that the driver's door is opened when getting in so it locks and alarms itself unless you switch the ignition on !

I have only covered just over 500 miles in the B6, so it is early days yet but to my surprise I have to run it in, I didn't you had to these days. all in all it is a superb car and as the mileage grows, the better it drives and the colour - shadow blue is drop dead gorgeous ! The instruments look really nice at night. my only gripe so far, is that it does not have lights in the bottom of the doors like my B5 has.
claranet

gazza007
29-10-2007, 01:12 PM
It's quicker than the 2.0 Audi TDI S-Line Auto that I've had on hire the last 2 weeks, Same engine PS but Std Auto box takes so much power out of the engine. DSG is so very good. Kept forgetting I had to release the handbrake!!!

arctic blue
30-10-2007, 01:28 AM
2.0l tdi 140 se dsg,57 reg

probably sounds corny, it fits like a glove. sitting behind wheel reminds me
of an aircraft cockpit, especially at night with blues + reds across the facia + switches. ambient light very effective. passengers usually impressed. all controls to hand without having to reach too far.

i get 29 - 38 mpg round town, just done dartford kent to birmingham @ 70mph + got 42 mpg checked on tank top up not obc reading. had touran 2.0l dsg 140 previous and got 60mpg @ 55-70 mph on cruise. yet to try that with passat but i'm optimistic.

as others have said, we can can all find fauts, niggles+ dislikes. i have a couple with this car, but then vw never consulted me in the design stages.:biglaugh:
but they sink to insignificance when you get behind the wheel and the SPM kick in. (smiles per mile):drive:

if you get one , enjoy

forge197
30-10-2007, 06:56 AM
Arctic Blue I did get one and yesterday drove over 250 miles stopped twice averaged 46 mpg. It's a very comfortable car to be in I have the 2.0 tdi 170 SEL DS on an 07. I did though get caught out trying to move the car with the electronic handbrake on and seat belt not in. It's quite persistent in so far that it will not dissengage :)

lovely cars very underated and probably one of the most comfortable cars I've ever owned and i've had a few!!

sathound
30-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Arctic Blue I did get one and yesterday drove over 250 miles stopped twice averaged 46 mpg. It's a very comfortable car to be in I have the 2.0 tdi 170 SEL DS on an 07. I did though get caught out trying to move the car with the electronic handbrake on and seat belt not in. It's quite persistent in so far that it will not dissengage :)

lovely cars very underated and probably one of the most comfortable cars I've ever owned and i've had a few!!

It will disengage if you depress the foot pedal and press the button when your seat belt is off. It then nags you that your belts off every 30 seconds!!

Pauloz
02-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Worst of all is a narrow blind junction I have to negotiate occasionally. A 1 in 4 hill, you have to stop to turn into another similar hill (which is single-track, high walls) and the handbrake will NEVER release. So you either have to release it manually and hope you can get your foot off the footbrake and onto the throttle AND get enough revs on so it doesnt stall before you roll back too far, or (if theres someone on your tail) absolutely rev the nuts off the thing and slip the clutch till it stinks. It eventually releases, but not fully for probably 50 yards. Apparently it`s `within specification`.

Instead of using the handbrake, have you tried holding the car stationary with the clutch on the bite point and taking your foot off the brake? Should hold the car long enough to get your foot on the accelerator? I never use my handbrake apart from parking.... ;)

Quatrelle
03-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Angus - the more I think about this the more I feel you are being fed a load of bullpoo. If your 'handbrake' functions the way you say it does, it is dangerous and, I would suggest, even illegal.

If it is 'within spec', get whoever it was told you this, to start your car off from the 1 in 4 junction of which you speak.

I agree that having to floor the clutch completely isn't ideal, but on the odd occasion mine doesn't work it is usually because I haven't floored it, and flooring it 'properly' usually makes it release. Given the choice I would prefer a manual handbrake (I consider it somewhat insulting, in that I am perfectly capable of a hillstart with a manual brake). I do wonder, however, if there's some safety issue here, in view of the problems some car makers are having with cars rolling away after their owners have left them. Electronic handbrakes are becoming more common - I won't say 'popular'.

Best wishes, John

angus
05-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Instead of using the handbrake, have you tried holding the car stationary with the clutch on the bite point and taking your foot off the brake? Should hold the car long enough to get your foot on the accelerator? I never use my handbrake apart from parking.... ;)

I rarely use a handbrake (although I appreciate the additional control afforded by one particularly when towing), but the type of incline I`m talking about (I`m perched on the Pennines) doesn`t permit you to hold the car at the clutches biting point without plenty of revs as there is insufficient torque.

Annoyingly, my old B5.5 TDI 130Sport (which does have a handbrake that works!) which I still have can easily be held at the same junction without recourse to a handbrake anyway as its engine characteristics allow you to get off the brake onto the throttle and away where the B6 just bogs down, stalls or slips backwards.

Bottom line is I just find the electronic handbrake a silly, unnecessary and ill-conceived piece of technology.
Quite apart from its unreliability, if you DO decide to use it in a hurry it is slow to come on, it is slow to release (never attempt a traffic light GP using it!), and you can operate a manual brake three or four times in the amount of time it takes the electronic system to operate once.

If you are doing a hill start on a Pennine hill with three and a quarter tonnes of car and caravan a decent handbrake is essential. The car fails this test miserably.

claranet
05-11-2007, 09:28 PM
I ordered my B6 170 Sport Estate with the optional 'Auto Hold' facility button; this is extremely useful as all you have to do is to stop the car and it holds the car still; this is very useful in busy town centre traffic queues and although you have to switch it on when you start off your journey, you can switch it on/off as you wish. The option of an 'Auto hold' facility I would think would help you in your position. The 'Auto Hold'option is standard on DSG and SEL Models but is only an extra £65 on others, which is cheap compared to the Zenon Headlights upgrade, which is an astonishing £815 !

I would think that the 'Auto Hold' facility can be fitted by your dealer without too much cost, it is certainly worth asking.

I agree the Electronic Handbrake does get some getting used to and it IS confusing in it's operation as sometimes it releases when it should when you pull away but ONLY if your seat belt is on. As I say the 'Auto Hold' was the best £65 I have ever spent !!

Regards
claranet

Trevorrible
08-11-2007, 05:59 PM
My SEL is a month old tomorrow and - touch wood - everything OK so far. If I am being picky, the drivers seat could give a bit more thigh support, but then I am 6 foot 2 inches tall.
And I picked black, looks terrific when clean but iffy when muddy splashes etc.

DaveNN
29-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Bizarrely I also decided against a 9-3, but mainly on the basis of a lack of Saab dealers in France and certainly not within an hour of where I live. Unlike you, though, I'm happy with my Passat (we shall see....).

Likewise ( I rejected the choice of a 93 SW recently)..... BUT the latest 93 is not a patch (IMOH) on the model that it replaced.
The 93 is a bit 'wallowy' & not great if you have a passenger who is liable to honk up.....which I have as both a passenger and DRIVER of a 55 Reg Saab 93 SW!!!:Blush2:

james_tiger_woo
29-12-2007, 05:57 PM
I love the leather in mine - as well as the seat heaters :) It's mostly economical, comfy, quiet - It's head and shoulders above my crappy Leon.....

But..... The handbrake is driving me insane - Sometimes it's great, but sometimes it just won't let go....

Quatrelle
29-12-2007, 06:30 PM
I love the leather in mine - as well as the seat heaters :) It's mostly economical, comfy, quiet - It's head and shoulders above my crappy Leon.....

But..... The handbrake is driving me insane - Sometimes it's great, but sometimes it just won't let go....What do you do when it doesn't let go (apart from shouting at it!):aargh4:(serious question btw.)

james_tiger_woo
29-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Um, the yelling and shouting about sums it up... I just quickly slot it out of gear, put the clutch up and down and put it into gear and away it goes.

It's not usually a problem from total stationary (Such as if I've been parked) - in traffic is where it's more of a problem.

james_tiger_woo
29-12-2007, 07:25 PM
My local dealership are brilliant too - I've had the car 4 weeks and, admittedly they've had it a few days and it's been in about 4 times, they've been good.

They even reset the Airbag light (when I had the connector near the stereo disconnected and put the ignition on) for free....

Pauloz
29-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Likewise ( I rejected the choice of a 93 SW recently)..... BUT the latest 93 is not a patch (IMOH) on the model that it replaced.
The 93 is a bit 'wallowy' & not great if you have a passenger who is liable to honk up.....which I have as both a passenger and DRIVER of a 55 Reg Saab 93 SW!!!:Blush2:
I think the 93's are a bit over priced tbh - with our company car guidelines i can get a 2.0 A4 in the same bracket...... not a difficult descision imho! ;)

Quatrelle
30-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Um, the yelling and shouting about sums it up... I just quickly slot it out of gear, put the clutch up and down and put it into gear and away it goes.

It's not usually a problem from total stationary (Such as if I've been parked) - in traffic is where it's more of a problem.Have you tried leaving it in gear and just putting the clutch down again (making sure it goes right to the floor - in other words, treat it like a foot 'switch')?

I wouldn't have thought that taking it out of gear would make any difference, and I'm presuming it will let go in neutral, clutch down and a touch of throttle. Next time I'm in the car I must have a play.

Quatrelle
30-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I think the 93's are a bit over priced tbh - with our company car guidelines i can get a 2.0 A4 in the same bracket...... not a difficult descision imho! ;)That also influenced my choice, since I'm retired so bought mine with my own money.

Quatrelle
30-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Have you tried leaving it in gear and just putting the clutch down again (making sure it goes right to the floor - in other words, treat it like a foot 'switch')?

I wouldn't have thought that taking it out of gear would make any difference, and I'm presuming it will let go in neutral, clutch down and a touch of throttle. Next time I'm in the car I must have a play.Clutch down and a touch of throttle is enough to release it.

Although I think the handbrake is ok, it is ridiculous that there should be an element of uncertainty in any car control, especially something as important as the handbrake. To have to virtually push the clutch pedal through the carpet every time to guarantee success is equally ridiculous. It would be interesting to know if there is any way of adjusting the connection with the clutch.

Moving the driving seat closer to the steering wheel is not a sensible answer.

Suppose I could always nail a 1" thick block of wood to the pedal ...:(

Pauloz
30-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Clutch down and a touch of throttle is enough to release it.

Although I think the handbrake is ok, it is ridiculous that there should be an element of uncertainty in any car control, especially something as important as the handbrake. To have to virtually push the clutch pedal through the carpet every time to guarantee success is equally ridiculous. It would be interesting to know if there is any way of adjusting the connection with the clutch.

Moving the driving seat closer to the steering wheel is not a sensible answer.

Suppose I could always nail a 1" thick block of wood to the pedal ...:(
But then surely it would be too high for normal driving? Must admit i never use the handbrake unless parking. TDI's have enough torque for most hill starts to hold on the clutch for a second without accelarator and without stalling..... although damn sure you wouldnt pass a driving test like that ;o)

Quatrelle
30-12-2007, 10:32 PM
The 1" piece of wood was a light-hearted attempt at a cure for the problem. I don't, however think it would be too high seeing as the left leg only does one thing, so to speak, as opposed to the right, where some sort of 'equality' between the brake and throttle is important.

If I'm not mistaken the clutch pedal is plastic, so fixing something (safely) to it might not be too difficult as an experiment. Suppose I could always melt it and bend it up a bit....;)

DaveNN
30-12-2007, 11:34 PM
The 1" piece of wood was a light-hearted attempt at a cure for the problem. I don't, however think it would be too high seeing as the left leg only does one thing, so to speak, as opposed to the right, where some sort of 'equality' between the brake and throttle is important.

If I'm not mistaken the clutch pedal is plastic, so fixing something (safely) to it might not be too difficult as an experiment. Suppose I could always melt it and bend it up a bit....;)

I've been led to understand that Heather Mills McCartney has had her peg leg lenghtened in order to facilitate said clutch use!!!:D
Once she's parked up, she walks 1/2 on, 1/2 off the pavement..so she doesn't have a limp!!:biglaugh:

Quatrelle
31-12-2007, 10:46 AM
I've been led to understand that Heather Mills McCartney has had her peg leg lenghtened in order to facilitate said clutch use!!!:D
Once she's parked up, she walks 1/2 on, 1/2 off the pavement..so she doesn't have a limp!!:biglaugh::D:D I like a bit of lateral thinking! Perhaps I'll have something stuck on the sole of my left shoe.....

DaveNN
31-12-2007, 03:28 PM
:D:D I like a bit of lateral thinking! Perhaps I'll have something stuck on the sole of my left shoe.....

Yep..but, after consideration it may be her right leg that might need Ronsealing every few years!! So she would have to cross her legs (for a change!!):biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:: biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

DaveNN
29-06-2008, 10:07 AM
What's good about my Passat??????

OK:-
1) The mid range acceleration
2) Build Quality
3) The Leather (Grey) interior
4) Auto Hold (now it's been sussed, it's OK)
5) Cup/Bottle holders
6) The Aux In
7) The admiring looks that it gets, when it's parked on the drive!!!
8) CD/MP3 Audio quality..BUT...... (see below)
9) Fuel economy (well over 50mpg)
10) The blue lights on the dials.

AND Not too good (bit Off Topic)

1) AM radio reception...flipping awful!
2) Interior dash trim, 'obscuring' the off side mirror. (??) To explain, the side windows tend to reflect back the trim. This 'reflection' obsures the mirror behind it.
3)..........................

Mmmmm, that's about it Really!!!

alanb
01-07-2008, 09:33 AM
bought new (56 plate) now 90000 miles no problems at all.
just replaced front pads for first time.
outstanding car,
will repace with another one in about 12 months time.
140 tdi saloon average since new 52 mpg.

JBlues
01-07-2008, 09:50 AM
......VW are coming to pick it up in September.....

.....bye bye electrical faults......bye bye....:p

alanb
10-07-2008, 08:40 AM
just hit 90000 miles and replaced front pads for first time.
car has been exceptional no problems.

recent visit to vw to have them replace rear pads as i connot do them myself..resulted them telling me the pads were only 1/4 worn...also replaced my fuel pump ,gear oil, software update and wiper mod all free.

best car I have ever had and I have had a few.

james_tiger_woo
10-07-2008, 09:23 AM
just hit 90000 miles and replaced front pads for first time.
car has been exceptional no problems.

recent visit to vw to have them replace rear pads as i connot do them myself..resulted them telling me the pads were only 1/4 worn...also replaced my fuel pump ,gear oil, software update and wiper mod all free.

best car I have ever had and I have had a few.

Wiper mod?

Trapper
10-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Angus wrote:

The seat belt/door/clutch rigmarole is an utter pain if you`re trying to hitch up a caravan unaided, when you may have to get in and out and reposition a couple of times

You can fool it by connecting the seat belt before you sit down, might be a bit uncomfortable but far less hassle!

A thought just struck me, I drove my Passat off my drive to re-position it and did not connect my seat belt. I started the car, foot on brake, released the parking brake but did not touch the auto hold button. I drove off and reversed back. I will have another try to make sure I was not on the hard stuff, it was 10am Sunday morning so I am sure I was still sober ;)

richard t
10-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Can’t speak highly enough of mine. 2008 2.0 SE estate sapphire blue very comfortable, very quick when needed, economical if kept to about 2,000 rpm get about 55 to 60 mpg and even pushed hard it gives about 40 to 45 mpg. Handles very well, once you get used to the hand brake that’s great. Mine has auto hold so not experienced any problems that I read about. Its quiet no rattles from dash lots storage space for all the little things you carry. In the ski hatch on the rear seats it has more storage there. The arm rest adjusts I have mine up a few notches for motor way driving and down for town driving. The stereo is fantastic mine is mp3 and although in the past I have multi changers I do prefer this. The one thing that is annoying is the rear wiper, it squeaks when it wipes and rear passengers always comment on it. Oh and it looks good parked in a car park among the vectras and mondeos.

gamichea
10-07-2008, 05:42 PM
............I started the car, foot on brake, released the parking brake but did not touch the auto hold button. I drove off..........

I do this frequently. Its documented in the handbook. Yeah, I know the handbooks a pain, divided up into bits and overfull of nannying warnings :rolleyes:.

alanb
12-07-2008, 06:57 AM
wiper mod was a recall to stop possible water ingress, don't know what it entailed as haven't looked yet.

Quatrelle
12-07-2008, 11:40 AM
wiper mod was a recall to stop possible water ingress, don't know what it entailed as haven't looked yet.Obviously not that important in VW's eyes - I had mine done about 18 months ago.

podwin
14-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi

I am looking for a Passat, and going to test drive a 1.9 SE Estate (2007). This is a great thread for me to read!

Is a Parrot Handsfree kit is easy to diy fit?

Martin

nickmurphy
15-07-2008, 05:12 AM
Hi Podwin

Re Parrot - I fitted mine dead easy - there's plenty space behind the radio for the control units to sit, and you can take an ignition switched feed from a spare terminal on the fuse box. The mic goes on the R hand A pillar with the wire hidden behind the trim

Nick

nickmurphy
15-07-2008, 08:48 AM
PS - I stuck the control pad for the Parrot on the dash under the R hand air vent with a double sided sticky pad. It looks good and is convenient to operate - one thing though, the silver top of the unit reflects in the door mirror so I painted it matt back and now it's fine