PDA

View Full Version : '92 MKII no oil pressure (0)!

2old2turbo
07-10-2007, 03:31 AM
HELP!!:(

I am really stumped: No oil pressure at all. '92 1.8 Digifant with 155K
- Pulled covers and changed timing belt and idler. crank/idler/cam pulleys verified at pre change positions following completion

- Replaced all v belts driving accessories.

- Replaced valve cover gaskets.
drained and installed new oil and filter. Castrol 5W-50 full synthetic ( been on full syn for several years).

- Installed new metal pipe that runs from water pump (rubber hose) to rubber hose at firewall for heater system. Also has teed hose midway on pipe that runs to bottom of coolant vessel located on left side above brake master cylinder (Left hand Drive)

- Oil drain plug removed for 3 weeks while awaiting parts and time.

- Installed new ignition lead set.

1.At start up plenty of lifter noise (hydraulic lifters) and oil pressure warning light on steady on dash. ( No pressure gauge.) Ran for 45 seconds and shut off.
2. Removed oil filter and found no oil inside.
3.Filled filter with oil prior to reinstall.
4. verified oil level "full".
5. Started and ran again. lifters klacking, oil warn light on. Shut down.
6. removed high pressure switch from oil filter mount bracket and rigged device to pour in oil. Oil poured in quickly drained away .
7. Ran engine again briefly. Lifter noise, oil pressure warn as before. No oil from pressure gauge port.
8. Ordered replacement pump ( aftermarket Schadek brand). Installed pump same height as original. Also replaced oil pan due to damaged drain plug treads. Did find some water in bottom of oil pan caused by carelessness when cleaning engine with valve cover removed. Pump installation routine with minor shaft turning required to align with drive on bottom of distributor. Two pump attach bolts torques to specs. (old pump inlet screen was clear.)
9. Installed new oil pan and filled with oil.
10. Engine started with same fault: no oil pumped.
11. removed high pressure switch from oil filter bracket and primed with oil. Noticed empty of beaker used much slower than original pump.
12. Started engine again with no oil pumped.

I am "stumped" at this point. Is it possible that the oil pump drive of the distributor could be stripped or is there an insert in the distributor shaft that might start to slip? Engine starts right up so distributor/ignition/idler shaft must be turning. DIstributor was not removed nor turned while drive belt removed/changed.

Will replace the new spin on oil filter (which has been replaced since last had oil pressure) but seems unlikely source of problem.

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

2old2turbo :mad:

2old2turbo
11-10-2007, 08:28 PM
could not seem to be able to edit above but did solve problem. Forgot 2 pre-oil new pump at install so it did not start pumping. Removed one of plugs in outer (inlet side) of oil filter mount bracket and filled with oil. Since spin on filter has check valve at top the introduced oil gravitated (is that a word?) toward the pump back thru bracket passages. Started and within 3 seconds pressure light out. So original pump (with 150K miles) would have worked if I had done same prime procedure on it but I have experienced low oil buzzer so felt it time to replace. Took a while for one hydraulic lifter to stop clicking but otherwise all OK.:biglaugh:

Reason old pump lost prime was due to sitting for month with drain plug out of pan.

Now both plastic coolant flanges on head have sprung leaks. Never messed with but appears that 15 years is time to fail! New ones available at local dealership for less than $25 total!

2old2turbo

onzarob
11-10-2007, 09:28 PM
I read the first post, though prime pump, the you had answered, glad you got it sorted.:D

2old2turbo
12-10-2007, 02:30 AM
Thanks, Guess I got sidetracked into thinking something else was wrong since I had same fault before and after pump replacement. Why I forgot to prime pump prior to install is a case of brain fart. I knew better. Now to replace both plastic coolant flange assemblies that are leaking. Local dealer had in stock!

2old2turbo (not really also have 06 MKV GTI manual gearbox):D