PDA

View Full Version : Passat B8 LED Headlights

w0067814
24-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Hi All,

I've just ordered a Passat GT 190 Estate with the regular halogen head lights due to the high cost of LED, but now I'm doubting my decision and I'm considering a last minute change to the order.

I've currently got a B7 estate with halogens, and I've always been disappointed with them when compared to my previous car (Astra with halogens gave much better light).

Anyone got experience with the B8 LED lights and care to comment on the quantity and quality of the light they produce? I'm not worried about the fancy adaptive lights, just the basic set. How do they compare to Xenon lights?

Worth the £650 asking price?

Thanks
-Tim

M1tchy
24-09-2015, 02:15 PM
I've got them on my A7 and they are brilliant. I've driven with xenons for years now and the LEDs are much better and much brighter. You won't be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w0067814
24-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Thanks Mitch.

Anyone else?

P Adams
27-09-2015, 10:11 PM
I haven't had xenons in the past, but my new GT has the 'LED Premium Headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights and Dynamic cornering lights, and headlight washers', and they're great. Very bright and direct.

My garage has also updated the light pattern on them due to a software recall, so I'll get to find out how much better that is during this week!

w0067814
27-09-2015, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys. I've added them to the order. :-D

Crawshy
28-09-2015, 01:37 PM
I wish I'd seen this earlier could have maybe saved you 650, I've got the standard halogen lights and because of the added static corner lights, the lighting is fantastic in darker areas, I live on a country road which is never well lit, but the standard lights on this light up the path and sides very well. I have no doubt the LEDs look better with the integrated running lights and led indicators (personally though I don't like the silver trim at the top which runs across the entire front), but I think there are better options out there to spend the money on. However I will tell you, you won't be disappointed with the engine :) , what colour have you gone for?

Happy driving

w0067814
28-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Hmm.

I've had 4 people singing praise for the led light now. Two here, one via another forum, and a friend who worked for VW until recently.

I've got static cornering on my current B7. Handy, but if led give better long range visibility on dipped beam then they win out for me. The roads around here are poorly maintained. Road markings are completely worn off which can make things unpleasant at night in the rain.

I've got a pearlescent deep black B7 at the moment. The choice of colours on the passat is a little limited. The colours on the dealer forecourt were also of limited range so I could not see them all in the flesh. So I plumped for pearlescent black again. Bit boring. I'd have liked a blue but the new blue doesn't do it for me.

CMcK
04-11-2015, 03:45 PM
I have the LED lights on my Passat estate but find them a bit lacking versus the xenons on my old Golf estate. The LEDs are very bright but don't seem to project the light as far down the road.
I took the car in to the dealer today and asked them to check the beam pattern. They told me it was set a bit low and have adjusted accordingly. I will have to wait until later to see if it has made much of a difference.

CMcK
04-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Driving back from work this evening there is a definite improvement in the distance the beam projects in front of the car.

w0067814
05-11-2015, 11:03 PM
That's good to hear.

My current passat has very poor throw. It could also be dipped beam set too low and high beam too high. There is a "hole" in the field when on full beams.

Good news is that my new car had finally got a build slot of week 50 so I should be able to take some comparison photo between halogen and led before I sell the current car. Will post them here.

BenR
13-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Er.... you do know that the beam height can be adjuusted from the driver's seat, don't you? There's a little spindle beside the light switch that you press and it pops out.

That said, the high beam pattern on the halogens isn't fantastic and I'm going to ask the dealer to check them on the first service.

w0067814
13-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Yes I'm aware of that.

stupot73
21-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Got my hands on my Alltrack this week and added the auto dip option on the Led headlights. I can definitely see them dip but I am still getting flashed at by other cars driving towards me ! Anyone else had this problem ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

technik
18-12-2015, 11:59 PM
Bit late to this, but just got my GT with basic LED pack.
Much nicer than the standard lights and well worth the upgrade IMO. The drls are much better than the single bulbs next to the fogs on thee standard light models.