PDA

View Full Version : PD injector bore damage - can it be fixed?

chapster
19-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Hi,

I've got the cylinder head off my 2001 1.9 TDi with AVB engine.

The injector bores have the indentations that seem quite common from side loading due to the single injector clamp.

The indentations are quite deep and I'm concerned new seals may not seal properly and considering the overall cost involved with rebuilding the head, I don't want to put it all back together and find the injectors are leaking past the seals, as the indentations are where the two large seals press against.

Has anyone tried a fix, such as high temperature metal epoxy putty applied to the indentations and then sanded smooth and level to the surrounding undamaged bore?

My main concern would be repeated temperature expansion and contraction of the head causing the epoxy putty to become detached from the metal. And also high pressure fuel forcing itself between original metal and epoxy putty.

Any thoughts?

zollaf
19-09-2015, 01:26 PM
you should find that the worn bit in the head is not where the seals sit. the bit where the seals sit should be fine. i did one earlier this year, just smoothed the bores out with some wet n dry to get rid of any edges that would tear the seals as the injector went it, lubed the seals well and gently inserted them. that was 10k ago and i have just put a new turbo on it, and it drives just fine.use genuine bosch seals though. you can get them from a dealer or from a guy off ebay in poland for a tenner an injector, in bosch bags as well.