PDA

View Full Version : Software update for the car's earthing

moptisam2
17-09-2015, 03:17 PM
My car is a 62 plate Technik TDI 163. I have been told that it needs a software update relating to the car’s earthing and that the update will take all day.

Does anyone know what the (newly discovered) problem/potential danger is and why it will take all day for the update?

Any comments gratefully received.

Thanks

markp306
18-09-2015, 05:53 PM
I had that update too whilst the car was in for a major service on my 62 plate A5.

Your post just made me look at the paperwork for that job and it itemises an earthing strap though. I'm sure they said software update at the time I booked.

:confused:

moptisam2
19-09-2015, 07:27 AM
markp306
Thanks for the information. When mine goes in I'll ask them if a strap is involved.
Mopti

palmerj
20-09-2015, 01:34 PM
I have a 177PS Black Edition Avant on a 62 that also had what sounds like this check done last year . Talking to the tech who was going to be doing it they needed to check an earthing strap to the steering rack assist motor for possible water ingress. Mine was fine, I'm sure there was no software update to accompany it, but that could be a totally different update as I've had the software on my steering module updated twice so far!

moptisam2
26-09-2015, 06:58 AM
Palmerj,

Thanks. I can't see why just a software update will take all day, so your experience sounds like a possible reason. I'll ask the garage.