PDA

View Full Version : 2003 PASSAT 130 BHP ESTATE SPORT

DAZKIM
02-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi all
I am new on here and looking for some info on the kerb weight of the above car i am considering buying . I need to know this as i will be using the car to tow my caravan and would like to know that i t is heavy enough before i buy one.
Also if any of you use the above car as a tow car what do you think .
CHEERS DAZKIM :beerchug:

Gaz the Cab
02-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Haynes give the following info for the Passat estate
1411kg with manual g/box and diesel engine.......1437kg with auto box
Max towing weight given as
1400 to 1700kg with brakes (doesn't sound right to me thats heavier than the car)
630 to 650kg without brakes.

Huweth
06-08-2006, 03:31 PM
The passat weighs about 1400kg. The accepted maximum towing weight for any vehicle is 80-85% of the cars weight. This would put your maximum towing weight at around 1100 kg (for a braked trailer/van). Whilst it's possible to tow heavier, it's a REALLY bad idea.

I've also heard that some passats have poor clutches/flywheels due to inadequate greasing in the factory. Be gentle with it, or you might end up forking out well over a grand to get it fixed!

If you notice noises when using the clutch, or it starts to judder, get it looked at real soon.

vroooOOOM
07-08-2006, 01:57 AM
Hi all
I am new on here and looking for some info on the kerb weight of the above car i am considering buying . I need to know this as i will be using the car to tow my caravan and would like to know that i t is heavy enough before i buy one.
Also if any of you use the above car as a tow car what do you think .
CHEERS DAZKIM :beerchug:

Have a look in the REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE (log book) under y, it should tell you the UNLADEN WIEGHT.

I have a W Reg 115 sport TDI it tows perfect.

I know someone out there is going to say something about towing wieghts!
Correct me if I'm wrong but there is NO legislation for this however as a rule of thumb, the wieght of the unit being towed i.e. the caravan/trailer should not (not must not) exceed 85% of the vehicle towing it!.

You can tow up to 100% but when the caravan/trailer exceeds the wieght of the towing vehicle, GOD BE WITH YOU.:aargh4:

DAZKIM
07-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks for your replys i havent bought a passat yet i am just looking to c if i can find the right 1 i have been told the 130bhp sport is the heaviest of the range unless you go for the 4 motion.
I am keeping my eye open for a nice 1 to come along at the right price.

CHEERS DAZKIM:biglaugh:

vroooOOOM
07-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks for your replys i havent bought a passat yet i am just looking to c if i can find the right 1 i have been told the 130bhp sport is the heaviest of the range unless you go for the 4 motion.
I am keeping my eye open for a nice 1 to come along at the right price.

CHEERS DAZKIM:biglaugh:

Good luck with your search for the right 1, I bought mine private sale, paid what it was worth, there's lots of VW out there on the forecourts and they just want a lot of lolly, I know someone in the VW trade high up too he tells me that they don't resell any trade ins with more than 70K hence thats why all the ones I looked at were high mileage and high price, don't even think of going to an auction in my opinion what I saw was the very rough end of the market, I was told that cars that are traded in are sent to a valetting firm before being sent to auction only the valetting firm cherry pick the ones they want before they get there, hence the likes of us don't get a look in.
My advise buy private, check out the details on the registration certificate don't settle for no sercvice history, some traders deal from home! have a look in the for sales ads look at the telephone numbers and see how they pop up on different ads!

Sorry for so much negatives but it is a minefield out there, be patient and your'll get what your looking for.:approve: have you concidered going to the VW website and searching their stocks, at least you will get some warantee.

easylifeauto
15-08-2006, 06:08 PM
try a site called towsure or whattowcar.you can put in the make of car and caravan and it will show the compatability of car and van.appy towin!