PDA

View Full Version : Question burnt out resistor?

RudeEffects
12-09-2015, 10:54 PM
Hi there, I'm new to this site so I'm not sure if this is the right area but I hope it is.

So I got myself a 1999 A3 3dr hatchback, thought I'd clean it up with some fresh LED lights for the interior, I managed to get 3 LEDs into the rear interior light and 2 boot lights but the 5 up front hadn't yet been changed and realised I didn't have enough, so thought I'd order some more and now (3 days later) it'd seem a resister has burnt out and started to burn the plastic housing too.

not sure whether its because front interior lights are bulbs and the rear is an LED or whether it needs something more? should I have waited and kept all bulbs in until I had all LEDs?

problem is now, I have no idea what to do. Do I just replace the resistor in the light housing? (solder + new resistor?) What type of resistor would I need?

Thanks in advance? :D

zollaf
13-09-2015, 10:07 AM
can you post a pic of what you are on about..

RudeEffects
13-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Yeah, so here is a pic of the front interior light.
As you can see its burnt the plastic around it. I don't know whether to solder a new, better resistor into it or whether it's completely ruined.

zollaf
13-09-2015, 10:40 AM
they are diodes, not resistors.

RudeEffects
13-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Ah I see, I'll have to tell Mr mechanic down the road then cheers. So now I know the name, what do I do about the problem?
Can I just switch all interior lights to LEDs then it should be fine? What type of diode would I need to replace it with?

zollaf
13-09-2015, 10:59 AM
you want whatever is already fitted, or get down a breakers yard and get another light.

RudeEffects
13-09-2015, 11:04 AM
So can I not put LEDs into the inside of my car? Or should I have changed them all at the same time? Can I not get a diode that would work with LEDs?

zollaf
13-09-2015, 11:06 AM
the diode just stops current backfeeding through it. it has nothing to do with the leds, but diodes do sometimes just fail. replace the diode, fit your leds and forget it.

RudeEffects
13-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the help. I'll order one right away and hope it all goes well :D