PDA

View Full Version : windscreen blower broken

erubus
10-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Hi again guys. Just before I left for the airpot for my holiday the little stepper motors for the flaps that direct the heater blower air sounded like they were having a wee dance to themselves. Since then I cant get any air directed to the windscreen, so that whenever it rains (evey day being scotland) the windscreen immediately fogs up. Would it be possible that one of you fine gents/ladies has a photo showing which of the motors controls the flap for the windscreen so I can wedge it open until I can get a replacement. There are a couple of B6's in my local scrappy, one of which has the dash conveniently missing so the whole unit is easily accessible. I couldnt really tell which was which though. If the unit is the same as the B5 I can get one from a neighbour that has broken one.

cheers, Gill

Eibbor
10-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Can you not check the one in the scrappy and physically move the flaps to find out which is which?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erubus
10-09-2015, 01:03 PM
I did have a play with it at the time but without air blowing through I couldnt tell what each flap was actually doing. If it is the same as the B5 one I should be able to check with my neighbours one more easily as his is completely stripped out - more so than the one at the scrappy.

erubus
10-09-2015, 04:13 PM
turns out it was dead simple. just remove the glove box, its the stepper motor attatched to a long green linkage. it was just jammed up. gave it ba little tug and now alls well again. while i was in the car i swapped the knackered cloudy auto dimming rear view with the replacement i took out of an a6 while i was at the scrappy. it doesnt appear to work but i can at least see out of it. oddly it has yellow glass. i tested it by switching on the lights and covering the sensor on the windscreen side and shinig a torch on the sensor on the mirror side.

gill

mikeybutch
11-09-2015, 07:41 PM
You might find the motor sticks again cos the first time is a warning that the lube inside is failing.I had to take mine out and clean up and that's best done in kind weather not left to mid winter.There are guides on how to

erubus
12-09-2015, 11:07 AM
I'm going to get a pile of the steppers as it seems like a pretty common fault. At least the job is straightforward, only took about ten minutes or so. I agree though, its only going to fail in cold wet weather when you really need the windscreen demist.

mikeybutch
12-09-2015, 02:33 PM
It may be worth overhauling any replacement cos its a common fault for the lube to harden and cause jamming