PDA

View Full Version : Question Wandering around straight ahead position

Desparate21
08-09-2015, 01:16 PM
I recently bought a late 2014 (64) A4 Avant SE Technic 1.8Tsi. I like the car a lot, but have found that it is easily deflected by camber and worn roads (more than any other car I have owned) and that at mid - high speeds a slight stiffness (damping ?) in the steering makes it easy to over-correct. The latter also seems to work aganst the self-centreing action, which is weaker than other cars I have owned.
Is this a normal trait with Audis, or should I be looking for faults, such as tracking, tyre wear etc.. Tyres are 245/40 x 18 and approx half worn . Current mileage 7000.

palmerj
09-09-2015, 09:50 PM
I have an A4 Avant TDI with which I've had exactly the same problem, twice. When your steering it's as if there is a 'lump' in the straight on position and it will only steer 5 degrees either side of 'straight on'. To make it even stranger it would only happen now and again.
I mentioned it to Audi on both occasions, first time there was a steering rack software update which they said could take up to 3 hrs to program and test to get it to take!
As I write software for microcontroller systems now and again, the 'getting it to take' comment sounds like its a bodged together patch for maybe fitting to low a resolution encoder on the rack.
Second time they said they would update it again. Both times it corrected the fault.
Looking back at the Ross-Tech scans between first having the car and now, the part module has changed from a post fix E to F.

The other thing is what tyres are you running, I have the standard Conti Contact 3's 255 35 19. I've noticed from first having the car as the main tread pattern is round the tyre, the car does seem to 'track' the camber and depressions in the road.
I mentioned this to my local tyre fitters, they looked at each other and said yes they do tend to.

I hope this helps

Desparate21
10-09-2015, 09:19 AM
Many thanks palmerj, it has helped

I didn't think it was a normal feature of the car, and now you have confirmed it.
I will have a chat with the Audi dealer, and hope that your comments will guide them to a satisfactory (and permanent) solution

Regards

Desparate