PDA

View Full Version : Michelin SuperSports

r2sma
07-09-2015, 04:52 AM
Hi,
After reading many reviews about what new rubber would be best for my A3, i eventually decided on the new Michelin Super Sports. The grip on both the dry and wet is supposed to be phenominal. Had to place a special order (225 x 40 x 18) for a set last week and get them fitted this afternoon. I expect ill be looking for the twisty longer route on the way home from the garage to see what ive been missing out on.
Anyway, i know tyre pressure is always a contentious issue especially on the A3 forum as so many people have so many varying thoughts on what the tyre pressure should be on the fronts. (I currently have mine at 42psi at the front & 36psi at the rear which i think feels good when cornering!) I also realise there are many people who have them running a lot lower psi's at the front & rear for whatever reason, but does anyone really know what pressure i should have in these to get optimum grip and running? Just a shame to have quality tyres and not get the full benefit.
One other thing, the garage inflates the new tyres with Nitrogen as standard. Never had Nitrogen inflation, but I know this makes the wheels lighter and i can only assume better handling!
Before anyone asks, no, the tyre pressure is not printed on the inside of the fuel filler flap!
Any advice on these tyres and of course the dreaded tyre pressures would be grateful.
Ill update this post when ive had them a week or so and once they are scrubbed in a bit.
Anyway, roll on this afternoon.... Boys and their toys eh?

Fexo
07-09-2015, 02:25 PM
My tyre pressures are on the driver's door. Those pressures are correct for the 2 litre TDI (61 plate at least).

Gazwould
07-09-2015, 02:35 PM
What A3 is it S3 RS3 ?

M1tchy
07-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Nitrogen doesn't make the tyres lighter! (You need helium for that [emoji12]) Atmospheric air is 80% nitrogen anyway. It supposedly stabilises the pressures inside as nitrogen is less susceptible to heat compared to air so doesn't expand/compress as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alankru
08-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Yes and the nitrogen also doesn't seep out of the tyre nearly so much, so in practice I don't think you have to top the pressure up often. As an aside, Compressed air also helps in this regard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

r2sma
08-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Its nothing as fancy as the S3 unfortunately, only an s-line! Wishful thinking!!

r2sma
08-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Only has the new tyres on a day and it genuinely feels like a diffirent model of Audi! The cornering has a totally diffirent feel and obviously feels better with more cornering confidence. Tyres certainly feel grippier going round the bends. Even after this short period of time, i think this will be my tyre of choice from now on. Thought and opinions after the first 24 hours?... highly recommended!

Gazwould
08-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Always night and day comparing old and new rubber , I'm struggling to see what would be lost if you went with a cheaper high performance premium tyre like .

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 .

r2sma
08-09-2015, 01:55 PM
If anyone is interested, Costco are doing 225x40x18 Michelin Super Sports for £114 ea, however they also are giving you £30 back in Costco vouchers if you buy 2 and £70 if you purchase 4. Basically the tyres are costing £100 ea if buying 2, and £95 if buying 4 taking in to consideration the cashback. (Obviously they are doing the same deals with other sizes!). Deal finishes end of September. Blackcircles are down to £121 for the same tyre, but were up at £137 last week when i looked. Value for money from Costco they are an excellent buy!