PDA

View Full Version : Passat B8 infotainment bugs

veedubz
04-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Hi,

I have noticed that my 2 week old passat has a few weird issues:

The clock (digital and analogue) loses time every night. Sometimes only 12 minutes but I have noticed up to half an hour. This I manually reset for the first few days, however it is now on GPS time and still does it although auto corrects after 5 minutes or so driving.

The trip counter and fuel consumption disappears overnight, every night.

More often than not the infotainment system (Discover Navigation) does not allow any sound after starting the car until I switch it off and on again. I have received phone calls and had no audio! Sometimes the volume scroll bar at the top of the display will move, sometimes it won't. All is normal after I have reset the head unit.

A few times, I have been driving on the motorway and the car chooses to flash up the 'key not found' error message. The car has never stopped but it is still a little unnerving.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? My dealership admit there is an issue with the system in a Polo, as yet haven't come across it in a Passat and are coming across a little incompetent at best!

There appears to be no new soft/firmware available using Car-Net either!

Alex jb
05-09-2015, 04:20 PM
No issues for me, but I would be going mental with the dealer!
Don't mean to sound negative, but electronic gremlins that involve the locking/immobiliser/ignition are serious enough to tell them to take it back and don't even call you until it's fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

veedubz
05-09-2015, 05:53 PM
Yeah, agreed. It is booked in for a week as of Tuesday, I will have a lovely Sharan to get around in instead.

Told the dealer that they had better give me the voice control and app connect for free...

Alex jb
05-09-2015, 07:01 PM
That's fair, at the end of the day you buy s new car for the predictability and trouble free aspect.
I'd be happier with right first time than return trips, fixes and sweeteners.

xfact
06-09-2015, 06:29 PM
My car was 3 weeks old, when i lost the navi data, usb, voice commands, bluetooth connection, apple car play. Dealer said a main electronics block is faulty and they will replace it.

ZenDog
06-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Hi,
I had same problem, there is a setting to use GPS to maintain the time, and that resolved my problem with losing time.

veedubz
26-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Yes, you're right in that the gps time setting solves the issue, however the clock still visibly rights itself when you start the car in the morning. It doesn't solve the issue with the trip counter though.

I got my car back after two weeks of it being at the dealership, no software was available at the time so nothing was done about that. They did change the rear quarter glass to replace the DAB aerial though...... Still didn't solve the rubbish DAB signal.

Car is back with them on the 29th for a day as there is now a software update to solve the click/trip counter issue.

They are stumped by the fact that my infotainment system from time to time loses the display, yet the touch screen still works.

I think it may be time to change job and get a 65 plate one.

rrcvogel
18-12-2015, 09:59 AM
Hi,

I have a pretty similar bug on my brand new Passat B8, 1.8T.
- The 3 stage trip computer resets all stages overnight.
- The clock loses on average 40 minutes over night.

The car is in fact back at the dealer today who is stating that a software upgrade has recently been launched which they will upload.
I shall post the results - let's hold thumbs.
Anyone else had a software update done and was the problem solved?

Rob - Johannesburg, South Africa

djmx5
18-12-2015, 06:22 PM
I have not had any issues with my infotainment system, but 10 days ago my car went to VW for a low coolant top up and whilst there they performed a software update………mainly for mobile phone connectivity. I do not use mobile phone through the car so cannot comment on the update itself. The service chap stated that there will be periodic updates as and when they are released.
D

rrcvogel
18-12-2015, 08:12 PM
Over and above to a software update, I was told that the battery needs to be properly mapped to certain functions of the car.
Sometimes the dealer neglects to perform this mapping according to the specific spec of your vehicle.
This has subsequently been done on my Passat B8. I will wait and see after 12 hours if this did indeed resolve my infotainment system problem.
Anyone else heard of this battery mapping?

Rob

technik
18-12-2015, 11:39 PM
I have not had any issues with my infotainment system, but 10 days ago my car went to VW for a low coolant top up and whilst there they performed a software update………mainly for mobile phone connectivity. I do not use mobile phone through the car so cannot comment on the update itself. The service chap stated that there will be periodic updates as and when they are released.
D
Wr
Wonder if this will resolve the problem I have connecting my phone hotspot to enable Car Net?

Justin-W
21-12-2015, 08:26 PM
I've also got the sound fault, alongside a heated windscreen that only does the passengers side. Not yet noticed the clock however will now look into it.
Car is just over 2 weeks old....

rrcvogel
21-12-2015, 08:36 PM
My problem has not been resolved. The local dealer has now sent the VAS results with a description of the faults to VW Germany. Will keep posting updates. Getting frustrated......

Justin-W
21-12-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm already frustrated, even though it's a company car leased directly with VW group it's shameful. Only just been given a date for it to be 'looked at'' my old car was the previous Passat with the emissions scandal. So in theory they've let me down twice?

rrcvogel
23-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Still no solution to the overnight resetting of the 3-stage onboard system, trip counter and clock loosing time on my new Passat B8.
Latest software upgrade had no impact.
VW is now looking at a potential battery power error, have hooked up the vehicle to an oscilloscope to analyze.
Frustrations growing.......
Anyone out there with some advise/help?

rrcvogel
31-12-2015, 07:26 AM
My problem has been solved!
Original factory loaded kernel software was a version of the B7. The partial B8 software upgrade therefore had no impact.
Ask your dealer to download and apply the latest B8 software from VW.
Well done VW Barons, Woodmead, more specifically, Warren, for getting down to the root of the problem and solving it.

Justin-W
10-01-2016, 06:27 PM
I've had a software update, now I've got 2 issues.

First being the no keys found message on the instrument cluster whilst driving
Second when using my ipod I can nolonger go back folders when selecting music albums (the folders are there at the top but nolonger respond to my touch)