PDA

View Full Version : Leaking coolant!!

nakhonian
06-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi,

Wanting your expert advice here, have a 1996 vento, which is now losing alot of coolant. There isn't any white smoke from the exhust i can't see any visible leaks and i'm stuck !! any idea's before i head down to my local garage here in Thailand and try spending half a day explaining the problem??
cheers

neileg
09-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Could be a weak pressure cap so that coolant is venting through the overflow pipe when really hot.

PeBe20020
25-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Re loss of coolant - could be a variety of causes - 1) res supply tank cap. replace with another - Scrap yard will do ?? 2) hose or rad small leak - check hoses and clips - replace as required, remove front grill & check for signs of leak across rad, especially round outside - replace rad or??. When done put some leak stopper in system. 3) Does Rad fan cut in at correct temp ??, especially in heavy traffic. If not, replace with correct one for engine type. - Dealer supply 4) Thermostat playing up - Check and replace if required. 5) Most unlightly and most expensive - When engine up to temp, slowly release res supply tank cap, top up water to almost full, let tick over and check for bubbles. Hopefully there should be none. If the are, prob cause is head gasket leak - costly and not really a home job - vehicle will run for a while with loose or no pressure cap. but needs attention as a matter of urgency. ( Air is pumped via compression into head water ways, increasing pressure and thereby pumping water out of res tank - end up with no water in system to cool engine - overheat time )

ruaridh
30-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Just reading pebe20020; Point 3, if the fan is not cutting in, could it not be the switch for the fan that needs replacing? I've been told I can pick up a switch for my fan at a scrappy...........
R.