PDA

View Full Version : Question 2.8 VR6 won't cold start unless bump started

wafers
03-09-2015, 11:17 AM
Hi all, thought I'd ask for advice on my 2.8 VR6.
It won't cold start off the key, but will start easily off a bump start. It also starts pretty well off the key when warmed up.
The symptoms for cold start are basic - it just turns over and over, but doesn't fire. It turns over at normal speed and doesn't seem to be struggling.
I believe it's an OBD 1 as it doesn't have separate coilpacks.
So far I've replaced the coilpack, and just had the fuel pump and filter replaced as well, as the old one was slightly damp, and I assumed (wrongly it seems) that it was drawing in some air.
Any ideas? I'm not able to plug in any diagnostics setup as my car doesn't have a COM port - it's a mk2 Golf shell with a VR6 conversion.
Any ideas appreciated - thanks in advance! 😀

zollaf
03-09-2015, 01:13 PM
well, thats ballsed that up then . why hasnt it got a diag socket, it should have been fitted with the wiring loom. how else are you going to know that everything is working as it should. oh, you don't, see, first thing to do is a scan, see whats going on. could be the cts giving a false reading but could also be a whole heap of other problems. any ideas, yep, get an obd socket fitted so you stand half a chance of fixing it.

wafers
09-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Thought as much. Need to find someone who can wire on in now. Just thought I'd ask on the off chance that there was a common cold start issue with VRs.