PDA

View Full Version : 2001 beetle smoking bad oil smelt of petrol could cat be gone?

Jmsgas
02-09-2015, 10:54 PM
Hi I have a beetle 1.6 2001 March its smoking bad like a white grey colour engine light on code is for the front lamba sensor garage have Said cat needs changing oil smells of petrol so changed oils plugs a leads and filter. Car runs well. Other than smoke went thought mot in May fine

Rob69
03-09-2015, 06:25 AM
Welcome to the forum. Doubtful if a cat change would help, if code is for front (pre-cat) lambda sensor and your oil smells of petrol. Garage should be checking fuel trims and function of lambda sensor. Sounds like engine is overfuelling giving petrol in oil smell and smoking, but could be lots of reasons why.
A full scan and posting results would give folks here more info on the forum and if you post the engine code ( three letter code ) in the front of the handbook or boot sticker it lets folks know exactly what engine you have.

Jmsgas
03-09-2015, 06:59 PM
hi thanks for the welcome and the help the engine code is AYD trans code is FCH my mate came over to day to have a look it was smoking bad so he took the oil filler cap of and after a few minutes it stopped smoking

he seems to think that its the valve oil seals as he said you can smell the oil in the smoke. told me best to get rid any idea

zollaf
03-09-2015, 07:02 PM
take car to a garage, get a codes read and a diagnosis from a qualified mechanic. i don't think your mate is on the right line on this one, sounds more like it could be a blocked or faulty breather.

Jmsgas
03-09-2015, 07:20 PM
hi did a code read which was for the front lamb sensor. he's normally spot on he checked breathers all are clear gets worse when its warm

zollaf
03-09-2015, 07:23 PM
sounds like piston rings might be worn out.

Jmsgas
04-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Hi I done a video of the smoke doesn't smoke on tick over only when revved how can I put it on here

Sam
04-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Have you tried changing your CMOS battery?