PDA

View Full Version : A3 (2005 2.0 tdi) knocking noise

javu
06-10-2007, 08:24 AM
I have an A3 with about 40k miles. I have noticed a knocking noise which seems to come from the front somewhere (!) and is most noticeable when going over bumps. It's been into the Audi dealer who told me they couldn't find a fault but I know that other A3's /Audi's I've been in don't make the same sound. To me it sounds like it's something to do with the suspension?

Any tips on what it may be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

RickT
06-10-2007, 08:43 AM
it could be a dodgy CV joint which is biting, causing the knocking noise..

BUT.. if its been into Audi, that should of been picked up..

I would suggest you find a section of road close to the garage and try getting it to make the noise again,

once you have perform a few tests and found a section where it does it without fail, arrange to take a techician out on a test drive.

Rick

golf tdi 02
06-10-2007, 10:47 AM
possibilites are droplink bar or wishbone bushes but as said audi must have seen this probs ???

:beerchug::beerchug:

hope this helps

nfh288gto
08-10-2007, 12:58 PM
My A3 is doing exactly the same thing - A mettalic clanging noise from the front end on a bumpy surface,
Its just passed its MOT so its nothing too drastic (i Hope)
If i left foot brake gently while its rattling it stops until the brake pedal is released.
I am just about to get it in my garage and beat it into submission, if i find a solution i`ll post it here.

Neil:approve:

nfh288gto
19-11-2007, 04:46 PM
My A3 is doing exactly the same thing - A mettalic clanging noise from the front end on a bumpy surface,
Its just passed its MOT so its nothing too drastic (i Hope)
If i left foot brake gently while its rattling it stops until the brake pedal is released.
I am just about to get it in my garage and beat it into submission, if i find a solution i`ll post it here.

Neil:approve:

Have found the problem with my A3 - even though they had loads of material left i changed the front disc pads as the anti rattle shims were worn. This has solved the problem.:biglaugh::D