PDA

View Full Version : Philips x-treme vision - are they any good?

ChrisCi
01-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Hi all,
I have 2012 A6/C7 with about 75k miles on the clock. Just recently I noticed that the lights (HIDs) are getting a bit dim, comparing to Mondeo also with HID lights. They got measured recently, but the instrument was showing somewhat strange units, my headlamps got about 8.5 to 9, what is not bad, but not brilliant either (according to measuring person). I can't tell what units were there.
Anyway, I believe my Audi has D3S type xenon bulbs (is it right?) so I found those: Philips Xenon X-treme Vision D3S (Single) | PowerBulbs (http://www.powerbulbs.com/eu/product/xenon-x-tremevision-d3s-42403-single)
The replacement procedure seems to be simple enough.
The question is - are they any good? I don't believe in 50%+, but even a bit more light is always nice.
Or maybe you could recommend something else worth buying?

thanks a lot
Chris

Pikey Narna
01-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Hi Chris
Know how you feel. We came from a Focus RS with Xenons to a 2012 A6 Avant. I changed the bulbs to Nightbreakers cant remember if Phillips or Osram.
Also changed the fog light bulbs to match.
Found the bulbs on Auto Bulbs Direct. Just got to find a decent white looking DRL now.
Andy

Westyfield2
02-10-2015, 10:29 AM
In another car I recently replaced the Xenon bulbs (as they were 10 years old) and chose Philips Xenon X-treme Vision. They're great! Obviously they were an improvement on the 10yo ones in that car, and I'd say they're better than whatever the factory ones are currently in my C7.

ChrisCi
06-10-2015, 10:37 AM
Just to let everybody know - I changed the bulbs, no problems on the way. Measuring new ones, they scored ~35 kcd on both sides, comparing to 7-8 in the old ones. The light is very white and noticeably stronger. I did not have any sensible camera with me, I took some photos with the phone, but they don't show much.
Anyway, if you happen to find those bulbs with reasonable price (I paid ~65€ each) - I can strongly recommend them.

MarkTM
10-10-2015, 09:14 AM
I did a comparison with a new Xenarc xenon (£90+) and a new ebay cheapy at £9.99 for a pair...couldn't see a difference except the price.

In fact am still running with them fitted.

As has been said earlier comparing any new bulb with an old one should show a difference.

Oh, meant to ask, is it easier to change a bulb on a C7 than a C6? :)

ChrisCi
10-10-2015, 02:48 PM
I'd say there is definitely a difference visible on the road, I just couldn't show the difference using iphone camera.
Changing the bulbs is easy if you take the wheels off, otherwise you need very short screwdriver and preferably some small hand to help.

Pikey Narna
10-10-2015, 10:25 PM
I'd say there is definitely a difference visible on the road, I just couldn't show the difference using iphone camera.
Changing the bulbs is easy if you take the wheels off, otherwise you need very short screwdriver and preferably some small hand to help.

just put the wheels on full lock !!!! did mine in about 5 min. Changed the fogs as well, looks much better.

ChrisCi
12-10-2015, 02:06 PM
Having 19/255 tires, there is not much space left, even on the full lock ;)
BTW: what bulbs for fog lights are there? Are there any sensible LED replacements?

Andy Grob73
09-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Hi guys, I'm so glad I found the forum and this topic. I've just bought into an A6 on a 63 plate, S Line, Bi Turbo Diesel. On my first drive at night time I nearly headed back straight back to the showroom to take the car back. Wow, the Xenons on there at the moment are proper rubbish. Bordering on unsafe!! However I naively thought they would be a full sealed unit, and hence not able to change the bulb and would cost the same as a family holiday.

For those who have made the change would you opt for a premium bulb...Phillips etc which are 3x the price of others, for just 1 bulb? What can you recommend? Thanks for your help!!

ali00
09-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Hi guys, I'm so glad I found the forum and this topic. I've just bought into an A6 on a 63 plate, S Line, Bi Turbo Diesel. On my first drive at night time I nearly headed back straight back to the showroom to take the car back. Wow, the Xenons on there at the moment are proper rubbish. Bordering on unsafe!! However I naively thought they would be a full sealed unit, and hence not able to change the bulb and would cost the same as a family holiday

What was the dealerships response? & how many miles has your A6 done?

I was in a similar situation where I bought a used approved A5 and the lights were incredibly dim. About a week after buying it the passenger side xenon bulb went - xenon bulbs come on for a brief 30 seconds or so and then turn off when they've reached the end of their life time and also the quality of light output also depletes when they head toward the end of their lifetime. I bought the car from Newcastle Audi however my local is Wolverhampton Audi - chased it up with wolves and had both xenon bulbs changed under warranty.

Both headlights are now spot on and light up the road perfectly.

edit: if you're changing the bulbs yourself, I'm sure you have to align them through VCDS? Correct me if I'm wrong

Andy Grob73
09-03-2016, 02:22 PM
The car has done 53k, but I don't know if its more the number of hours in use that would make the bulb brightness fade. I can't imagine that they were this dim on day one of the car from new, so they must be near the end of their user life. I haven't had the chance to take it back to the dealer yet, because I've been overseas since then. But when I get home on Friday, I have a night drive home from the airport so I'll see what they are like and then make a decision to stick it out of just change them for the peace of mind. The thing is the Phillips bulbs as per the post title are about £80 a bulb. There are then many others available from £10 to about £40....so I was thinking of going for a branded name such as Osram which would be nearer the £40 mark for a pair.

Its good to hear that you saw a clear difference when you put new in.

ali00
09-03-2016, 02:30 PM
I was told that the bulbs are covered up to 70K if you've got warranty, so could be worth pestering the dealer. & when I was looking for my A5 about a month ago even the osrams were around £100!

ChrisCi
09-03-2016, 03:24 PM
if you're changing the bulbs yourself, I'm sure you have to align them through VCDS? Correct me if I'm wrong

Not really, if you will not take out whole lamps. I had mine checked after replacement and no correction was necessary.

Andy Grob73
09-03-2016, 05:02 PM
When searching for the replacement bulbs on the net will any Xenon D3S bulb fit the A6 C7 as a replacement for the original Xenon bulbs? For example I found some OSRAM XENARC ORIGINAL D3S HID
and followed the compatibility checker and it said not suitable. What spec details do I need to look for? Thanks.

ChrisCi
09-03-2016, 05:14 PM
I believe my original bulbs were Osram Xenarc. I see no reason why any D2S could be incompatible with A6. What compatibility checker you used?

Andy Grob73
09-03-2016, 05:16 PM
Just to confirm it was a D3S, not D2S....but it was the compatibility checker for the sale on Amazon.

Phil0464
10-03-2016, 08:19 AM
I find this site very good for compatibility

http://am-application.osram.info/en

Andy Grob73
10-03-2016, 08:43 AM
I find this site very good for compatibility

Osram - Vehicle Lamp Finder (http://am-application.osram.info/en)

That's a great website thanks.....I can see the correct Osram replacement bulbs are about £20 a bulb using the product finder etc. What about other makers can I simple go for a good quality D3S with the right kelvin temperature rating etc?

ChrisCi
10-03-2016, 10:38 AM
What about other makers can I simple go for a good quality D3S with the right kelvin temperature rating etc?

I would say yes, but I'm not a mechanic. From what I know, D3S is an exact specification and every bulb that follows it should fit into your car.

Phil0464
10-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Try here

Find Your Car Bulbs - HIDS DIRECT LTD Store | HIDS Direct Ltd. for HID Xenon kits, Xenon bulbs, MTEC bulbs, LED's, Car Parts and Air Suspension (http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/categories/find-your-car-bulbs)

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/1-x-osram-66340-xenarc-d3s-35w-hid-xenon-replacement-bulb-brand-new/