PDA

View Full Version : Audi A1 sportback Turbo problem.

77mark
29-08-2015, 08:55 AM
Hello all,
Im new to the forum so apologies for any mistakes I may make during this posting.
My wife has an A1 sportback, 1.6, year 2012. It had a new turbo fitted in february this year after only 23000 miles. It was fitted under warranty by Teesside Audi. The explained that car was also due a service (something which we knew and were going to "get around to" ) so we didn't need them to do it as their price was too much.
The turbo was fitted and all was fine until three weeks ago when it perished again but this time it wasn't under warranty, it had run out in july therefore they weren't willing to replace it because we had not had it serviced and they wouldn't be able to claim their money back from the turbo manufacturer. We thought fair enough, our fault, we havent kept up the service. An expensive mistake.
I rang a couple of garages for a price on the new turbo fitting. I was informed by one of the garages I rang that when audi changed the turbo in february they should have changed the oil and filter as standard practice and that I should contact audi UK for more advice. I spoke to them and they contacted Teesside audi who said the oil didn't need changing so didnt do it. They also said the turbo only had a three month warranty. That was that.
Turns out the A1 turbo I need is a dealer only part, luckily the guy Ive used and was recommended is a former audi tech and can get hold of the part. The cost is 1440 including the service we should have had done also. I got a phone call yesterday to come down and have a look at the car. I said is it f**ked? He just said you need to come and see it.
When I got there he showed me a used oil filter and then showed me the one hes taken out of mine (picture below). The filter is choked up completely with carbon and has been starving the turbo of oil. He said there's no way on earth that filter has only done 28000 miles (which is what our mileage is currently), he thinks its been tampered with. He showed all the guys in the surrounding garages the filter and asked them if they think thats a filter thats done 28000 miles and they were adamant its done way more. It seems that the oil and filter change hasn't been done since the car was first used. We are the second owners and it had 15,000 on the clock when purchased just over two years ago so we certainly haven't been thrashing it. It only gets used for commuting. Am I right in thinking that when buying a car from a reputable garage you should be getting brand new consumables? Maybe just my presumption but Id have expected new oil,air filter etc.
The mechanic is going to get back to me next week when he finds out how much more its going to cost. He needs to remove the oil filter housing and possibly the sump and gear box to find out if there are more parts that are choked up. He cant put an engine flush through as it will damage the newly fitted turbo.
I will be going back to audi with these findings and would like to know if anyone has had any similar problems in relation to this and if they had managed to get any kind of recompense. Its already cost us the £1440, Ive no idea how much more its going to cost but I'm presuming it will not be cheap. Dont get me wrong I know we are more than culpable for this for not servicing the car but its seems audi teesside have had us over a little too.
Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.