PDA

View Full Version : 1.9 TDi lack of power.

Sclark
28-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Hello,
I bought my 2000 1.9 TDi about 6 weeks ago; it is very low mileage and with a full service history including 2 cambelt changes. All seemed good, until it began to lose power when asked to climb hills, overtake, accelerate etc. I am aware that she is not the fastest snail out of the traps, but there is definately something not right. I have looked on several forums before coming to this one, and following advice on a thread I disconnected the air flow meter (which is new). I have just taken her for a spin, and the difference is unbelievable !
Now I am wondering if
a) Can I leave the meter disconnected for any length of time, or will this adversely affect the car ?
b) What is the root of the problem if the meter is new ?
c) Should I have sold my 21 year old Honda 2.2 VTech ?

Many thanks; any answers or suggestions would be very much appreciated but please bear in mind that I am more used to a 30 year old petrol engine, so any technical points will need an explanation that a moderately intelligent child could understand !!:confused::1zhelp:

rowdy-999
28-08-2015, 09:43 PM
When you disconnected the AFM did it improve things, or make it worse?
There are lots of cheapo AFMs on the market.

Sclark
28-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the reply - it has improved; it drives how I would expect now. I am just concerned as I don't know what effect it will have driving with it disconnected.

rowdy-999
28-08-2015, 10:54 PM
Well that proves the AFM is at fault. It wont damage the engine having it disconnected, but obviously isn't a good thing. MPG will certainly be effected.
Fit a proper good used part, or a new genuine/Bosch part.

Sclark
03-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Ok, so it has been a week since I disconnected the AFM. The car has performed as if nothing has been wrong and the fuel economy has averaged out at 52 MPG over 200 miles (no motorways). So what adverse effect is a disconnected AFM having on the vehicle ? Does anyone know ??

itavaltalainen
06-09-2015, 05:48 PM
It will not run under ideal conditions as it has little to no idea how much air is going into engine.

Fit a new one and done.... I would have also gotten it scanned for faults with VCDS or something similar.