PDA

View Full Version : Question Audi Music Interface - not recognising mp3 player

matth1j
21-08-2015, 10:19 PM
Hi - I've got a USB stick that I copied some music onto and plugged into the USB slot on my A3, and that works fine.

However, we've just put a load of stuff onto my wife's little Sansa Clipp mp3 player (8GB capacity), and when I plug that in, the Audi display says that nothing is connected, although the Clipp displays 'Connected'.

When I plug it into my laptop, I can see that all the music files are stored in folders under the top level MUSIC folder. That's the same as the structure on my USB stick, apart from the folder name which is Music on the stick. Other top level folders on the Clipp are AUDIBLE, RECORD, PODCASTS and AUDIOBOOKS, and there are also a few system files. The music files on both are .wma (ripped from CDs by Windows Media Player) and .mp3 (digital copies of CDs we've bought from Amazon).

Any idea what's wrong?

(The work-around is just to copy the music from wife's Clipp onto my USB stick, where it plays fine. But we'd rather keep our music separate if possible :) )

Cheers
John

james_tiger_woo
31-08-2015, 04:48 PM
I think the key thing here is that you've stated that it's an MP3 player - It's possible that it has an operating system that controls the storage and what it presented to your laptop is just the storage section which would be controlled by the player. As the USB stick works and the player does not, I'm afraid to say that you're probably going to need another USB stick :D

Max-Power
08-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Agreed with what James said...

out of curiosity... where's the USB port?

james_tiger_woo
08-09-2015, 01:26 PM
It's "not there" - you need a cable to plug it in to the MMI slot...

Max-Power
08-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Ahh, that's ok. I've been looking around eBay for one as I think the dealer ones are a bit much and one didn't come with my car :( too late to go back to the dealer now and ask for it I recon...(been 3 months)

james_tiger_woo
08-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Might be worth trying to swap with the one you have (if you don't need it) - failing that do you have the SD card slot free?

Max-Power
08-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Not got a cable at the moment which is the problem! I've got the two SD card slots free, I wanted the usb bit though to charge my phone more than anything :)

Peter T
25-09-2015, 10:12 AM
I use both SD card slots and have my entire CD collection (800+) on two 64GB cards, works a treat. Forget MP3 players et al.

Cheers

Pete T