PDA

View Full Version : Warranty finished

Pikey Narna
20-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Hi Guys

Our 2012 A6 Avant has now turned 3 years old and the warranty that we got when we bought the car second hand from Audi has run out.

We are thinking about keeping the car as it is in mint condition with low mileage and many features.

Audi want approx. £500 for a year :boggled:

Has anyone taken out further warranty and can recommend a site

Thanks in advance

Andy

kns
20-08-2015, 09:28 PM
I was quoted £1200 from Audi my A4 is 3.5yrs old and done 73k so maybe why :(
I am also wanting to see who replies and what advice as I only had a couple of replys on a simlar thread :(

Pikey Narna
20-08-2015, 10:24 PM
I was quoted £1200 from Audi my A4 is 3.5yrs old and done 73k so maybe why :(
I am also wanting to see who replies and what advice as I only had a couple of replys on a simlar thread :(

O.M. effing G £1200. that's taking the pee

Holymoly
21-08-2015, 08:11 AM
O.M. effing G £1200. that's taking the pee

You have to wonder what they imagine is likely to happen...

Scott K
21-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Take the Audi one! They are best for covering warranty work. My wife's A4 DMF was replaced under warranty and the parts were about £800 according to the bill I saw (that may have included a tail light which was also replaced under warranty)
If I keep my car more than 3 years and I can get the Audi warranty for £500, I will be taking it.

EssexGonzo
21-08-2015, 10:44 AM
I would have to say too....take the Audi one!

I had a C6 which was my company car from new and which I bought at 4 years old from the lease company - for the same reasons you quoted - loaded with kit and I loved it. I didn't take a warranty as I didn't really believe in them.

In my 4 years of ownership I had to replace the Turbo, oil pump, intercooler, DMF, starter motor, door lock plus a few other non-wear bits. probably about £4k (at Indy rates, not Audi) in all. There's no reason to believe that your newer, more advanced and emissions-equipped car won't be the same or even more complex one way or another.

I'm now a convert and when we come to replace the C6 with something new I'll be buying the extended warranty at the outset.

Nemo78
21-08-2015, 12:23 PM
In fairness £500 is very good for the Audi one if it is the official Audi Mondial Assistance one and not a dealer specific one.

I've extended the Audi warranty on all previous ones and on the A4 worked out very beneficial. Thing to remember is Audi hourly rates are around the £100/hour (or is where I am).

On the A4 one small oil leak took them a good couple of days to actually find and fix - labour intensive was that one. Also one control unit failed on the Xenons and that alone was around a £600 job.

Holymoly
21-08-2015, 06:05 PM
In fairness £500 is very good for the Audi one if it is the official Audi Mondial Assistance one and not a dealer specific one.

I've extended the Audi warranty on all previous ones and on the A4 worked out very beneficial. Thing to remember is Audi hourly rates are around the £100/hour (or is where I am).

On the A4 one small oil leak took them a good couple of days to actually find and fix - labour intensive was that one. Also one control unit failed on the Xenons and that alone was around a £600 job.

I think at some point we should call BS with these types of charges. I was in the motor trade back in the day when my father owned a Ford dealership and back then the guys in the workshop were mechanics. Nowadays (especially in franchise garages) they are "technicians" and therein lies the rub. They are less inclined to repair a fault and are only interested in replacing whatever unit "the computer" tells them to.

When I had a Volvo V70 I had a problem with the emissions light coming on. I took it to the local franchise dealer who would only initially look at it in order to assess the work required. He told me that it was one of the lambda sensors that was faulty and needed replacing however the computer was unable to ascertain which one (apparently there were 4 I think?). I was told it would be £450 to change a sensor but if it turned out not to be the faulty one then they would charge another £450 to change the next one and so on. When I told him I wasn't going to pay for that sort of service he didn't seem too disappointed when I told him I would go elsewhere. I took it to my local privately owned garage who took the sensors out, cleaned and replaced them and charged me £50. It never was a problem again and didn't fail emission tests either.

I'm taking my X-Trail in next month for an oil leak to be attended to. It's been leaking for about two years now and drops maybe a litre of oil over the course of three weeks. My mechanic already know it's from the seal on the rear crank shaft, so maybe a couple of quid for the seal. Unfortunately it also involves taking the engine out and maybe changing the clutch while they're there as the car has done 130k miles. I reckon it will cost me around a grand for the work but my mind reels just how much a franchise would charge me.

I think we need to stand up to the unreasonable charging by franchise dealers who seem to believe we're a captive market. Seriously, £100 an hour, plus the exorbitant cost of bespoke parts? Do me a favour.

Pikey Narna
21-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Guys, I feel a complete <REMOVED>. My wife told me £500. When I actually sat down and had a look try £850.

I'm off to spec savers to buy her some new glasses. <REMOVED> where she got £500 from :mad::mad::mad:

Andy

nevbadger99
21-08-2015, 09:55 PM
I'll go the opposite way to most people here - stick the £850 in the bank and then you have a slush fund if anything goes wrong.

My last 2 Audis have run up to 150k miles with no significant trouble. Save your cash and take your chances.

(That's my view, do what feels right for you).

Whippy53
22-08-2015, 12:49 AM
Audi, for peace of mind.

krupatel
17-10-2015, 09:00 AM
This thread caught my interest, after having some expensive out of warranty work done on my 2012. So far no one has mention warranties other than through Audi. I got a quote from Warranty Direct for, by an Indy, £50 xs per claim:

1 yr
£469.00

2 yr
£844.20

3 yr
£1,195.95

This sounded reasonable, especially as I've only just paid out over £700 to solve a number of related faults. Of course the devil is in the detail and the policy does not specify each and every part that is covered.

Any thoughts on this approach or indeed Warranty Direct, I am inclined to shop around if it's worth doing so.

Nemo78
17-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Warranty Direct I don't have any personal experience. I did get a quote from them but there constant chasing put me off.

I stuck with the Mondial Audi warranty and have used several times on the A4 I used to have without any issues and there're was never any issue that I had with let us check if the warranty will cover it etc

Pikey Narna
17-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Warranty Direct I don't have any personal experience. I did get a quote from them but there constant chasing put me off.

I stuck with the Mondial Audi warranty and have used several times on the A4 I used to have without any issues and there're was never any issue that I had with let us check if the warranty will cover it etc

Yep happened to us. Went online filled out the forms and thought the 3 year deal sounded good. <REMOVED> talk about phone harassment. Got at least 2 calls a day for 2 weeks until I had to threaten legal action for harassment.
Andy