PDA

View Full Version : Parking sensor and rear wiper washer?

stiscooby
18-08-2015, 08:49 PM
I have two small issues I am trying to fix on my A3 and wonder if anyone could shed some light please?.....

1) The outside right rear parking sensor is faulty. I have tried to remove it so I can check the part number and then replace it but I cannot work out how you get the dam thing off the bumper?!?! I can get my hand on it from under the car but can't seem to budge it??

2) The rear wiper washer fails to squirt any water. I have taken the inner boot lining off to make sure the water pipe hadn't come off but that was fine. I also tried removing the water pipe then tried it and water did then come out of the pipe so it's working up to the point of it plugging onto the wiper motor. I have also removed the wiper cap and the little black washer jets themselves from the wiper arm to make sure they were not blocked up (they seemed ok) but again, water doesn't seem to come through the centre of the nut which is what the little black water jets sit on?

So, the issue seems to be with the water passing through the wiper motor? I tried to get the wiper arm off to then remove the motor but the thing seemed to be welded on (I remove the nut and soaked with WD40) but once again failed to get the wiper arm off and didn't want to go too mad should I end up busting the rear window! Has anyone got any tips on what the issue may be with the water not passing through/how the hell do you remove the wiper arm??

Thanks for any advice! :D

alankru
20-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Whilst I have not repaired these issues myself, I do know a little about them as I've had to have them repaired.
1) Ordinarily you would take the rear bumper off to gain access. Do you have aftermarket or genuine sensors? You can usually tell because genuine will be flush with the bumper and match the colour exactly. I think that you are best to just phone your dealer and get a new sensor. You'll then know if you have the genuine sensors or not and get the right colour. By taking off the bumper you'll be able to get to the wiring to replace it but this isn't worth it if you can just phone the dealer. I had aftermarket sensors and my outside right also went. With my aftermarket sensors, the sensor is locked in place and you have to twist it from the back in a particular direction to remove it. It also only went one way up. A quick google suggests that other sensors are the same so I imagine that the genuine sensors are too. You might like to also ask the dealer if any coding is required when replacing or whether it is a straight swap (just to check).
2) Other forum members manage to get the arm off with the use of a wiper arm puller and this is key I think. With the washer jet removed, no water comes out of the centre nut? If so then you need a new motor as it corrodes/breaks down internally and eventually the motor could start to play up. Some folk have had it leak onto their boot lock and cause issues there so you are best to get it sorted. When you get your new motor, you may want to get a new washer jet as well as they are only a pound or two. Also, use a good quality screen wash that you can trust not to freeze in the winter (eg. Audi's or one tested by auto express).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk