PDA

View Full Version : Tyres very noisy !!

RichA4
16-08-2015, 05:10 PM
For a few months I have noticed a "droning noise" from my rear tyres. Not really that bad but enough to notice especially on smoother roads.

I went to my dealer and they confirmed it must be down to what they called "blocking" of the tread blocks ? ( New to me )

More recently I had to replace my front tyres so decided to move rear to front and have new tyres fitted to the rear.

The tyre noise has now increased 10 fold causing some vibration too at lower speeds. As speed increases it is more bearable.

The tyres causing the problem are Continental Contisportcontact 3 ( on car when purchased new March 2014 )

Has anyone experienced this ?. Has anyone any ideas on how to minimise the noise ( tyre pressures maybe ).

My only course of action otherwise is to bin the 1/2 worn tyres and buy 2 more new ones.

Any ideas welcome.

zollaf
16-08-2015, 06:33 PM
try the search function, i think this problem has been covered before.

Bonzo67
16-08-2015, 07:20 PM
Have you had the wheels checked for balance? The front ones that is.

Remembering, I you start out wit say 8mm of tread ad you are down to 4 or 5mm left then there has ben XYZ of rubber weight lost from the original time of being balanced.
Maybe worth having them put on the balancing machine and check their balance.

RichA4
16-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Yes , I had the rears re-balanced before putting them on the front.

I realise this has been covered before some time ago but I was wondering if anyone had tried varying tyre pressures or anything else to try to minimise the issue.

Looks like I will end up binning the Continentals and replacing with the same as the ones I had put on the rear.

Thanks for the replies:D

Also , it seems strange that this problem only showed itself when the tyres had several thousand miles on them :(