PDA

View Full Version : Sim expiry

Greenman58
13-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Put a Three 3gb/3mth sim into the dash slot on 4/4/15 and it still shows as online every time I use the car and Google maps. Would have thought it should have stopped working by now? Any thoughts.

belly buster
13-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Put a Three 3gb/3mth sim into the dash slot on 4/4/15 and it still shows as online every time I use the car and Google maps. Would have thought it should have stopped working by now? Any thoughts.

I have noticed that sometimes they give you a bit off leeway at the end of the term (but not a month!).

Just enjoy the free ride and have a spare in the glovebox for when the inevitable happens.

noscream
28-08-2015, 04:00 AM
Just letting you know, I use a Three PAYG 99p SIM, with a single top-up of £30 on the PAYG 321 tarrif and mainly used for google maps, still have £26 on it 6 months on. Just in case you wanna move away from pre-filled SIM with time expiration, then PAYG works on 321 tarrif from Three and it looks like it's gonna be about £10 a year worth of google maps on 12,000 miles of use.

A6S
28-08-2015, 08:05 AM
I got screwed by three. They blocked my sim as the mmi is deemed to be a wireless tethering device and that's not allowed on the 321 sim.
It worked for a few months then somehow realised and it stopped.

kennyh
29-08-2015, 12:22 AM
I got screwed by three. They blocked my sim as the mmi is deemed to be a wireless tethering device and that's not allowed on the 321 sim.
It worked for a few months then somehow realised and it stopped.

Same happened to me. Only found that out when connectivity stopped and I removed the sim, stuck it in an iPad and it said it was not allowed for data access only and I had to stick it in a phone :-(

The MMI system is great, but it could be better if it was supplied with a basic browser that could be used to display those types of messages or for providing an interface for doing top-ups etc. At present you need to haul the SIM out, find a device that can take a standard SIM size (or muck around with SIM adapters) and then process any top-up or other bit of maintanence.

I will be travelling to France in a few weeks time and I've got the same issue with enabling data in Europe for a EE prepaid SIM. Works great in the UK, but once in France you need to switch on European roaming for the SIM. To do that, you need a browser. So it has to be removed and stuck in another device to process that.

M1tchy
29-08-2015, 11:16 AM
When mine have expired previously, I have had a warning from the MMI, but only if you try going into the Audi connect part of it. I then get the notice that it's expired and also a basic browser with options to top up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A6S
29-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Same happened to me. Only found that out when connectivity stopped and I removed the sim, stuck it in an iPad and it said it was not allowed for data access only and I had to stick it in a phone :-(

The MMI system is great, but it could be better if it was supplied with a basic browser that could be used to display those types of messages or for providing an interface for doing top-ups etc. At present you need to haul the SIM out, find a device that can take a standard SIM size (or muck around with SIM adapters) and then process any top-up or other bit of maintanence.

I will be travelling to France in a few weeks time and I've got the same issue with enabling data in Europe for a EE prepaid SIM. Works great in the UK, but once in France you need to switch on European roaming for the SIM. To do that, you need a browser. So it has to be removed and stuck in another device to process that.

Just turn on the wifi and connect phone or tablet to the car then open browser so you don't have to faff about with swapping sims and adapters etc

kennyh
31-08-2015, 10:58 PM
Just turn on the wifi and connect phone or tablet to the car then open browser so you don't have to faff about with swapping sims and adapters etc

Doesn't work for me I'm afraid, with either a EE or Giff Gaff SIM. Browser access via Wi-fi reports "no active Data service". I've tried a multitude of combinations with no success.

M1tchy mentioned a basic browser on the MMI; I've never seen that appear either.

I honestly think it's not user error here (I work in IT and am a real gadget man; rarely beaten by tech unless it's not designed to work or a bug) - but there's always the first time!

M1tchy
31-08-2015, 11:19 PM
It only pops up if your data has expired and the maps aren't streaming, press the top right key to go to Audi connect, then select one of the options I.e weather etc, then it loads the website of the SIM card company and let's me top up. I used to just put a new one in but now I've got a dual sim contract on EE I don't need to.

kennyh
01-09-2015, 03:15 AM
It only pops up if your data has expired and the maps aren't streaming, press the top right key to go to Audi connect, then select one of the options I.e weather etc, then it loads the website of the SIM card company and let's me top up. I used to just put a new one in but now I've got a dual sim contract on EE I don't need to.

Doesn't work for me. What MMI S/W release are you on?

Pikey Narna
01-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Just letting you know, I use a Three PAYG 99p SIM, with a single top-up of £30 on the PAYG 321 tarrif and mainly used for google maps, still have £26 on it 6 months on. Just in case you wanna move away from pre-filled SIM with time expiration, then PAYG works on 321 tarrif from Three and it looks like it's gonna be about £10 a year worth of google maps on 12,000 miles of use.
Hi Noscream,
please excuse my ignorance as I'm not very clued up on this. I have a 2012 A6 which I find the satnav very annoying. Are you guys saying you buy a sim card from a supplier and just use it in the sim 1 slot for Google maps ?
Thanks in advance
Andy

M1tchy
01-09-2015, 10:29 PM
That's right Andy

Pikey Narna
01-09-2015, 10:33 PM
Thanks M1tchy.

Is it that easy ???? What do most people go for or is it buyers choice.

Andy

M1tchy
01-09-2015, 10:36 PM
Yeah it's that easy. Might take a few secs to drop in but that's all you need to do.

There are loads of threads on here about the best sim but everyone is different. If I were you I'd try a 3 month data only sim from 3. Gives you 3GB which should last you. If you don't like it you will only loose about the £15-20 for the sim. If you like it you could then get a 12 month version or as I have a dual sim on my contract which shares my phones data allowance.

Nemo78
02-09-2015, 08:42 AM
Thanks M1tchy.

Is it that easy ???? What do most people go for or is it buyers choice.

Andy

We went with 3 however I've just picked up a 3 month EE sim with I think 2GB preloaded for £4.99 from Currys.

They also had but none in stock in my local toy 3s preloaded 1GB sim (30 day validity) for 97p so again worth a check.

Just watch out that the sim maybe micro or nano sized so you either need to buy the sim adapter or be lucky and find standard sized which the car takes

Pikey Narna
02-09-2015, 08:33 PM
OK .....please bear with me, I'm old and not very tech savvy. We have a 2012 SE bog standard with 2 SD slots. SD 1 has Europa maps ? SD 2 has our music from I Tunes.

I have just looked at my Galaxy S3 and S5 and they are tiny SIM cards.

My daughter works for BT and she can get an SIM card fully loaded for next to nothing. Do I have to use an adaptor to fit the SIM card into the SD slot.

Once inserted do you just play with the MMI thingy to find Google maps ???

I'm really sorry for the questions but I'm lost. If you want any help with a garage door then I'm your man but teccy stuff I'm lost.

Thanks

Andy

M1tchy
02-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Ah Andy, SD cards and SIM cards are completely different. SD cards hold data (like maps, music, photos etc) and SIM cards connect you to the GSM network.

There is a SIM card slot between the SD slots on some models and that's where it goes. It can't fit or work in an SD slot. Sorry for any confusion.

http://media.t3.com/img/resized/au/xxs_AudiS7SIMCard-970-80.jpg

Pikey Narna
02-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Ah Andy, SD cards and SIM cards are completely different. SD cards hold data (like maps, music, photos etc) and SIM cards connect you to the GSM network.

There is a SIM card slot between the SD slots on some models and that's where it goes. It can't fit or work in an SD slot. Sorry for any confusion.

http://media.t3.com/img/resized/au/xxs_AudiS7SIMCard-970-80.jpg

Oh well that sorted that then :Blush2: Ours is just a bog standard and has no SIM slot. Suppose I'll have to put up with Audi's own version even if it's 3 years out of date..

Thanks for you help M1tchy much appreciated.
Andy (ex R.E.M.E) now Shropshire's Garage Door Man :beerchug:

M1tchy
02-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Andy, there is a retrofit option. Audi 3GP MMI Onlineservices Retrofit-Kit, ONTIKA Automotive Ltd. (http://shop.ontika.net/product_info.php?products_id=29)

Not tried it myself but looks ok.

(Current R.Sigs)

Pikey Narna
02-09-2015, 09:23 PM
Andy, there is a retrofit option. Audi 3GP MMI Onlineservices Retrofit-Kit, ONTIKA Automotive Ltd. (http://shop.ontika.net/product_info.php?products_id=29)

Not tried it myself but looks ok.

(Current R.Sigs)

Respect bro :beerchug:

Splash
04-09-2015, 07:58 AM
My daughter works for BT and she can get an SIM card fully loaded for next to nothing.

There's a handy cap you can set with BT SIMs to prevent you going more than e.g. £5 over your allowance. You then worry less about watching your usage, but I'd still disable roaming as for me its still possible to automatically connect to a signal from the Isle of Man when my local masts are not "visible".