PDA

View Full Version : Question Would you?

DaveNN
08-08-2015, 09:06 PM
If offered your current B7 170bhp manual estate company car for £7k ( 75k miles) would you consider it as an alternative to a new Co Car? It seems a daft question, as I could simply order a new Co Car BUT the choice is limited and the £500 a month contribution isn't too bad.
The car is in mint condition, I know all its foibles and I will miss it badly should I get shut.
That said, if I run it for another 4 years ( when I can opt back into the Co Car scheme, should I opt out) it will be at 160k miles. To be clear, I've got months to make the decision, as we only order Co Cars twice a year ....oh, I'm very conscious that I've hardly been on here for some time, forgive me for this.

any advice on what I can expect with a 150k mile + B7 would be appreciated.

Monktopus
09-08-2015, 09:12 AM
I'd certainly consider it. I did a very similar thing some years ago with a 54 plate Passat. A few generations ago I know but I was given it as a company car when it was already 3 years old to run for a few months till my new car was delivered. Before that happened I ended up leaving the company and, needing car, bought it for £5k with approx 90k miles. I ran it for a further 5 years till it had done 230k miles.

I'll not lie to you and say they were 5 completely trouble-free years. I went through a period of around 6-7 months where it needed approx £300-£400 spent on it every month for things going wrong, alternator etc, but then I'm sure a timing belt was in there as well so regular maintenance items included. That said, all things considered, it was an immense car that never left me stranded and I only changed it because things like door lock solenoids were going, water was coming into the rear passenger footwell from somewhere, non-mechanical things but they were becoming more regular. The engine and gearbox were still going strong and in fact the Audi A4 2.0 tdi I swapped it for never felt as quick as the old Passat. I also never had a new clutch in it between 90k and 230k but then I do drive like Miss Daisy is in the back!

I don't regret it for a second, saved myself a ton of cash and drove a very comfy car for a long time, (the A4 was an s-line and to be polite, was less than comfy!)

I know this isn't massively relevant to you as this was one of the last of the B5's and you're looking at a B7 but hope it's of some help. I guess it comes down to weighing up the security of a warranty with the financial saving. I don't know if you be getting another Passat as a co car but I will say the new ones look very nice.....

Good luck with your decision

DaveNN
09-08-2015, 10:38 AM
It is very relevant as you've reminded me what can go wrong when you own your own vehicle. I've been 'lucky' enough to not have to even look under the bonnet of a car for 20 yrs....If I can get my timing right, I may end up with a full MOT, new tyres and a new cambelt. That said, leasing outfits don't tend to authorise these big preventative maintenance jobs as the cars approach their end of lease.
The MOT has flagged up that the brake pads are a tad pitted and the front suspension bushes are perished....so IF I can get these sorted before the car reaches end of lease then it's a bit of a saving. It's also a case of pot luck when it comes to day to day repairs and replacements, I've got contiseals on at the minute- at about £90 a go. West lakes (?) come in at about £50.00, so which should I use? I suppose that the first time that I go skidding into the central reservation at 69.5mph may answer that.

Many thanks for the advice, it's appreciated.

EssexGonzo
09-08-2015, 12:03 PM
I did exactly what you did with the car in my signature in 2011, bought my £32k new price car for £9k. It was 4 YO with 75k on the clock and 4 years on it's got 128k on the clock as my company driving slowed down. I loved the car so much and just didn't want to pay for another shed load of depreciation though my co car allowance which everyone seems to ignore the moment it arrives on the drive. :rolleyes:

If you're still doing a few miles for work (which I wasn't - train to work most days, just a few airport runs) I'd go for another company car. It's main duties nowadays are long journeys up north to see relatives and European holidays.

If you buy it you'll get much better at sourcing quality parts at half the cost of VAG (brakes etc), seeking out the good independent garage and - more importantly - using this site for advice and guidance. I have probably saved well into 4 figures over 4 years though this place. Yes, we've had to replace a few large bits but compared to what I would have paid through my car scheme I am at least a couple of thousand up over the period.

I still love this car after having had it for 8 years, it still looks good and it still goes just as well as it did when it was delivered to me 8 years ago.

But, it's gonna have to go soon as my wife wants something "higher up" e.g. a 4x4. To make getting in and out of easier. Given what I've replaced, it'll make someone a fantastic motor for another 4 years.

DaveNN
09-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Again, a very helpful reply.
many thanks!

Our Co car list has turned to dog eggs over the past 15 years, where we once had Saabs ( I adored my 93 2lt lpt) and Omegas...we now have Hyundais, Megans and a couple of low spec 3series. We can't have convertibles ( as an opt out car) , as they may effect our 'brand image' BUT it's OK to rock up in a poxy Megan!! I was thinking of buying a Dacia Sondero for buttons, getting it paid for by the Comover 18mths and then giving it to my middle son.

cattytown
03-09-2015, 05:13 PM
There's a lot to think about for opt in/out. a new car is nice, but is it really worth the cost? I opted out about ten years ago, and think it was one of the better things I have done. if I decide I feel like a change, I can change at will. I can choose from the entire car market, and basically do what I want.

The tax position is overall simpler with allowance instead of car - you just pay tax on what the allowance is as income. It is less at the whim of government (a simple tweak of CO2 thresholds can affect tax position. If you get a low mileage rate you can claim tax relief on the difference between your rate and the HMRC allowance.

I would be very tempted - it is a car with a known history. That in itself is quite a bonus - even buying approved used at a main dealer you don't really know how a car has been treated.

Paul.

DaveNN
13-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Many Thanks for the reply.
The return from HMRC is very welcome, though I'm surprised ( or not) just how little this has moved over the past few years.
Ive done the big maths and I reckon on a full return by the end of year two ( though messing about with a new tax code, a nice cheque instead would be good!, is a bit of a pain), assuming no mechanical or insurance mishaps. After that, it's a very nice little pay rise!