PDA

View Full Version : Apple CarPlay

Nemo78
05-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Hey Guys,

Does anyone know if the new Q7 (or any Audi out of interest) actually comes Apple CarPlay at all?

Can't seem to see it for certain in the spec in the brochure but then there are random articles online saying that Audi was incorporating in to its 2015 new cars...

[emoji106]🏼

M1tchy
06-08-2015, 12:16 AM
I'm pretty sure it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fusion1966
22-08-2015, 09:04 PM
The new Q7 does come with Apple Car play if you order phone box as an option or as part of the technology pack

Nemo78
04-10-2015, 12:25 AM
@fusion1966 have you (if you have an iPhone) tried Apple CarPlay?

I'm not convinced it comes with this version of the Q and is something that comes later in the year? Looking at the Audi website it seems to suggest later in the year...Now I don't know is it a simple software upgrade or just not possible on the first versions of the new model?

fusion1966
06-10-2015, 08:40 PM
I was wrong, apple CarPlay isn't included at the moment and Audi can't confirm if and when it will be available. The technician at Audi I spoke to blamed apple for pulling it last minute

Nemo78
06-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Yup no CarPlay which is a shame...still being mooted to cone out later this year so wonder if simple software upgrade going forward...

Also what a design flaw with centre armrest console - the iPhone 6 connected to Audi charger doesn't fit [emoji23]

Will try with Apple cable as that's much more flexible

fusion1966
06-10-2015, 10:45 PM
iPhone 6 fits with normal lightening cable for sure

carloalberto
06-10-2015, 10:49 PM
Hi apple car play and android auto are aviable only with smartphone option. In Italy was delivered in September 2015.

Inviato dal mio SM-N910F utilizzando Tapatalk

fusion1966
06-10-2015, 10:53 PM
I have Audi phone box but CarPlay is not yet available in the UK

if I'm incorrect I apologise but if someone has managed to get it with a UK purchased Q7 then please feel free to provide some assistance in setting it up

carloalberto
06-10-2015, 11:01 PM
Audi smartphone interface are not included in Audi phone box.

fusion1966
06-10-2015, 11:04 PM
Ok so rather than telling me what it isn't available with perhaps you could review the uk configurator and tell me what option I should have chosen?

carloalberto
06-10-2015, 11:23 PM
You can ask on your local dealer to check if 7A7 option (7A7 is Audi internal code for smartphone interface) are aviable on UK.

I think Audi don't make a Smartphone interface retrofitting.

I hope that can help you.

My dealer forcing order with German code and Audi dealer configurator accept every code.

Nemo78
07-10-2015, 08:44 AM
Well I know mine doesn't have it...shame can't be retrofitted but no biggie I guess as I've never had it so in theory shouldn't miss it?

However if anyone works out if it can be done let me know...

Nemo78
07-10-2015, 08:44 AM
iPhone 6 fits with normal lightening cable for sure

Going to try this on wkend [emoji106]🏼

nathanparrett
10-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Hi

Is anyone able to actually use their phones to play music other than stream.

My car is due for delivery at end of month and I am now concerned it will not play music in the same way my current car works.

The audi smartphone option was not available previously.

Can this be fitted in future?

fusion1966
10-10-2015, 10:03 PM
No need to worry, I can play the music on my iPhone by either Bluetooth or by connecting it using the USB port and a lightening cable

stonestokie
10-10-2015, 10:04 PM
Yes works really well, fully integrated, just without the car play functions, so nothing to worry about!. Does anyone have any further updates re car play?

Nemo78
10-10-2015, 10:06 PM
As said above all works fine

nathanparrett
10-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys.

Does it pick up android in the same way. Can you use services such as Google music and for them to pick up in the mmi

Do we know yet if the car play can be added later?

Asked my dealer about smartphone option but not heard yet if it can be fitted later.

Nemo78
10-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys.

Does it pick up android in the same way. Can you use services such as Google music and for them to pick up in the mmi

Do we know yet if the car play can be added later?

Asked my dealer about smartphone option but not heard yet if it can be fitted later.

Pass on the android platform but at a guess yes it will.

Smartphone interface /car play is a good question, hoping it's a software rather than hardware update.

stonestokie
10-10-2015, 10:23 PM
Yes will be gutted if it can't be done, would be willing to pay as well!, can't imagine it requires different hw!. Also found out this week my car doesn't have the SMS button and service button in the ceiling light cluster!, DOH!, apparently early build cars don't have this!0

nathanparrett
10-10-2015, 10:28 PM
When did you order yours? I have the 2011 model and I am excited to see what's different.

Really want car play.

stonestokie
10-10-2015, 10:30 PM
It's a 65plate new shape, I managed to get one of the demo cars from my local dealer!, it's the 272 sline with dynamic pack and tech pack, so impressed with it so far, apart from car play and the sos and service buttons !

Nemo78
10-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Yes will be gutted if it can't be done, would be willing to pay as well!, can't imagine it requires different hw!. Also found out this week my car doesn't have the SMS button and service button in the ceiling light cluster!, DOH!, apparently early build cars don't have this!0

Mine was built last month but also missing those buttons...guess it's one of those problems with early builds...

We were meant to have dynamic front indicators too but they quickly vanished from brochure

nathanparrett
10-10-2015, 10:35 PM
I take it that once the spec is built you can't retro fit things.

stonestokie
10-10-2015, 10:36 PM
Mine was built last month but also missing those buttons...guess it's one of those problems with early builds...

We were meant to have dynamic front indicators too but they quickly vanished from brochure

Yes totally forgot about that!!!!!, I will add that to my list!, some of the early videos did show this!

Ok I feel better that new builds still don't have the functions!, but it is poor from Audi to market them!. Will be speaking with them next week to have my say!

What other extras did you go for?

Nemo78
10-10-2015, 10:37 PM

You could depending upon what it is you wanted retrofitting if it's possible...

Downside can be cost to do so...dynamic indicators on front I guess is do-able?

stonestokie
10-10-2015, 10:38 PM

Yes pretty much although some updates should be possible if related to functions part of of the computer systems within the car!

stonestokie
10-10-2015, 10:39 PM
You could depending upon what it is you wanted retrofitting if it's possible...

Downside can be cost to do so...dynamic indicators on front I guess is do-able?

Yes good point, some external stuff could be done but won't be cheap as stated!

nathanparrett
10-10-2015, 10:39 PM
I went for pretty much everything. I think I missed all drive. Company car so took the mick. Wish I went for daytona gray. But went for black. Thinking of resell value of car. As that is my type of lease.

Nemo78
10-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Yes totally forgot about that!!!!!, I will add that to my list!, some of the early videos did show this!

Ok I feel better that new builds still don't have the functions!, but it is poor from Audi to market them!. Will be speaking with them next week to have my say!

What other extras did you go for?

Main ones were tech pack, dynamic pack, parking pack advanced (tried the park assist today...absolutely brilliant!) and a couple of other things but those were the main.

Guess there's nothing we can so we missing buttons, indicators, car play but if you have some luck do share....

stonestokie
10-10-2015, 10:40 PM
I went for pretty much everything. I think I missed all drive. Company car so took the mick. Wish I went for daytona gray. But went for black. Thinking of resell value of car. As that is my type of lease.

Wow!!!, that will be some motor!!, excellent work :-)

nathanparrett
10-10-2015, 10:41 PM
I think the only thing I would want added would be car play if it became a hardware issue. Keep me in the loop guys. I will try from this end to find out whether it will be software or hardware.

Nemo78
10-10-2015, 10:42 PM

It was between Daytona and Black for me...went Daytona as have previously had a black Audi...so fancied a different colour...

stonestokie
10-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Main ones were tech pack, dynamic pack, parking pack advanced (tried the park assist today...absolutely brilliant!) and a couple of other things but those were the main.

Guess there's nothing we can so we missing buttons, indicators, car play but if you have some luck do share....

Sounds like top choices!, only things I would have added (if I had the money!) would have been the parking pack and bose, but other than that, very happy!

Yes of course will do and let me know if you have any joy!

stonestokie
10-10-2015, 10:43 PM
It was between Daytona and Black for me...went Daytona as have previously had a black Audi...so fancied a different colour...

I changed from an a6 avant ultra black edition, so I went the complete opposite and went with white !!

stonestokie
10-10-2015, 10:44 PM
I think the only thing I would want added would be car play if it became a hardware issue. Keep me in the loop guys. I will try from this end to find out whether it will be software or hardware.

Excellent and yes of course will do!

Nemo78
10-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Actually you have me thinking now I wonder if the emergency sos and messages buttons are retrofits as in is the wiring and other bits all actually in the car and it just needs the actual new faceplate and buttons?

nathanparrett
10-10-2015, 10:56 PM
I'll look out for them. What do they do in terms of buttons. Sounds like a silly question

Nemo78
11-10-2015, 09:24 AM
I'll look out for them. What do they do in terms of buttons. Sounds like a silly question

They are above your head next to the switches for the courtesy lights / map reading lights or whatever they are called when you open the doors etc

Nemo78
13-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Interestingly the buttons saga...mentioned this to wife and she said the Silverstone test cars had them - so we're there for pre launch models by all accounts.

I actually remember the conversation where she said what happens if I push the SOS button

JMB7
13-10-2015, 09:16 PM
My Q7 is due to go into production next week. Really hoping it comes with the car play but at the moment I'm not very hopeful.
All the reviews I read mentioned it so it seems strange it's now being omitted.
Audi smartphone interface was not an option I came across.

Also kicking myself a little at not speccing the bose sound system. Is the standard one at least passable?
Thanks

Nemo78
13-10-2015, 09:34 PM
My Q7 is due to go into production next week. Really hoping it comes with the car play but at the moment I'm not very hopeful.
All the reviews I read mentioned it so it seems strange it's now being omitted.
Audi smartphone interface was not an option I came across.

Also kicking myself a little at not speccing the bose sound system. Is the standard one at least passable?
Thanks

Unfortunately my guess is that it won't come..what's the bet it'll be launched alongside the e-tron version!!

Can't say I've heard the standard speakers but am guessing it'll be just fine so worry not [emoji106]🏼

nathanparrett
15-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Unfortunately my guess is that it won't come..what's the bet it'll be launched alongside the e-tron version!!

Can't say I've heard the standard speakers but am guessing it'll be just fine so worry not [emoji106]🏼

Apparently the option for smartphone interface has become an option from this month. You apparently cannot get it retrofitted.

I have told them that I won't accept the vehicle without that option added as the marketing was misleading. It will be interesting to see if they will find a way to get it added.

Fighting them hard on this as I made it clear at time of order that I wanted this option. I run a smartphone app company. So need to play.

Does anyone know how apps like Google Music and Spotify work through MMI. Can you navigate through playlists rather than previous and next.

Thanks

JMB7
15-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Coincidentally I spoke to my dealer today who confirmed Smartphone interface is now an option (around £380 I think he said) He was unsure on retrofit. He asked what I wanted to do and offered to place a new order for me as my current order goes into production week 42 which I think is next week, and can't be changed.

Annoyed it's not included as standard in the tech pack along with the other phone options.
Not sure if I'll push for it or not at the moment.

nathanparrett
15-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Coincidentally I spoke to my dealer today who confirmed Smartphone interface is now an option (around £380 I think he said) He was unsure on retrofit. He asked what I wanted to do and offered to place a new order for me as my current order goes into production week 42 which I think is next week, and can't be changed.

Annoyed it's not included as standard in the tech pack along with the other phone options.
Not sure if I'll push for it or not at the moment.

I got told today that there is a 20-22 week wait on new orders. Been told it's a cable and that's about it so far. Might keep it and then flog it when the new economic friendly one comes. Still trying to find out more information.

Nemo78
15-10-2015, 04:29 PM

Damn you Audi!!

Picture hasn't uploaded clearly but it's in Oct brochure at £350 option

Description mentions connection via USB so wonder whether it's software only or hardware in background?

JMB7
15-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Thats really annoying and disappointing to be honest. Is it also part of any packs in the new brochure? Trying to work out if there's any chance of it appearing on mine with the technology pack ordered.

Nemo78
15-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Thats really annoying and disappointing to be honest. Is it also part of any packs in the new brochure? Trying to work out if there's any chance of it appearing on mine with the technology pack ordered.

Can't see it as part of tech pack which is very strange

Also some new 20 & 21 inch wheels introduced with the 20s going up in price

JMB7
15-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Cheers for the info. Doesn't sound like much of a chance of it being included on mine.
I just presumed it was standard when I ordered as all the reviews and promotional material made a point of mentioning it. It was only this thread that showed that not to be the case.

Nemo78
15-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Cheers for the info. Doesn't sound like much of a chance of it being included on mine.
I just presumed it was standard when I ordered as all the reviews and promotional material made a point of mentioning it. It was only this thread that showed that not to be the case.

To be fair we all believed it came as standard and when you look at some of the motoring press reviews they talk about it so I just wonder whether they had them in the press cars (a bit like the SOS buttons etc)

Have asked my sales guy to look in to this as well to understand is it hardware/software etc

(Tongue in cheek but bet you couldn't reject the car for this)

Edit to add: another new option is black styling pack which costs £700

nathanparrett
15-10-2015, 05:54 PM
To be fair. We should all kick up a fuss because they have told us in promotional material that it was included. Must have a case for at least retrofit.

Nemo78
15-10-2015, 06:06 PM
To be fair. We should all kick up a fuss because they have told us in promotional material that it was included. Must have a case for at least retrofit.

How would we go about a collective communication to Audi UK? Shame we don't have more Q7 members to make some strength in numbers

stonestokie
15-10-2015, 06:10 PM
Totally agree with this!, I refuse to. Believe this is anything more than a software update or it it requires new hw this should be fitted for us. I would be happy to pay the £350 as well!

stonestokie
15-10-2015, 06:12 PM
I will call Audi Customer Services tomorrow to see what I can find out

nathanparrett
15-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Ok. Let me know.

I am still putting on pressure.

I don't think it's fair that you take on a car 50k+ and be disappointed with it.

Nemo78
15-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Let me know what you both find out (I've also asked my dealer) and if there's an option to retro it - I'm in

carloalberto
15-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Ok. Let me know.

I am still putting on pressure.

I don't think it's fair that you take on a car 50k+ and be disappointed with it.
You're right but I have a bad experience with bmw x5 for the same problem. I hope that audi are more flexible than bmw.

Good luck!

nathanparrett
15-10-2015, 09:29 PM
I might ring around about retrofitting as well. This really is annoying

stonestokie
15-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Deffo!!, lets report back!, I think if one of us can get a breakthrough we stand a chance!!

stonestokie
15-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Like I say I work in IT and I am sure the hw put in the cars is capable, but the system sw needs upgrading, I could be wrong, but not convinced the would switch to new hw platform so soon after launch, does not make sense!, when other countries had access from launch!

Nemo78
15-10-2015, 09:39 PM
This is the interesting bit on the Audi website from March

New Audi smartphone interface

In the Q7 the Audi connect portfolio will also gain a sophisticated new element later in 2015: The Audi smartphone interface brings “Apple Car Play” and “Google Android Auto” on board. If an iOS or Android cellular phone is connected to the USB port (iOS from Version 7.1; Android from Version 5.0 Lollipop), the respective environment opens in the Audi smartphone interface. Both are tailored for use in the car. The heart of this feature is online music. In addition, both platforms offer navigation functions, missed call/appointment reminders and messaging functions. Over time, these will be joined by numerous third-party applications such as Pandora, Spotify and WhatsApp.

So they always stated later in 2015 is what they would say

AutoExpress review http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/q7/91435/new-audi-q7-2015-review. Made it sound standard

All models also get parking system plus, Trial access to Audi Connect, which includes 4G internet connectivity, Apple Car Play and Google Android Auto plus there's also MMI navigation plus with an 8.3 inch monitor.

deano179
15-10-2015, 11:06 PM
I'm in the same boat. My car is also being built in week 42 and this thread has made me realise I won't be getting CarPlay which I had expected to get when you consider the launch media and reviews.

I've gone over the brochure (from when I ordered) and sure enough no mention of CarPlay, yet it is now listed as an option in the October one.

Phoned dealer and as car is now at status 20 I can't get the option added, I have vented my frustration about it being misleading but not sure what I can do?

I would be very happy to pay for it but I'm not able to!

JMB7
16-10-2015, 09:05 AM
The more I think about it the more annoyed I get. My supposedly technologically advanced car is out of date before its been built as I can no longer make changes.
I have a feeling if I take it I'm just going to get ****** off every time I read any press about new features for carplay.

My wife wanted me to cancel when the emissions scandal broke as she's very eco minded.

Part of me thinks I'm just being silly but then another thinks at the price I'm paying I need to be happy.

Nemo78
16-10-2015, 09:25 AM
The more I think about it the more annoyed I get. My supposedly technologically advanced car is out of date before its been built as I can no longer make changes.
I have a feeling if I take it I'm just going to get ****** off every time I read any press about new features for carplay.

My wife wanted me to cancel when the emissions scandal broke as she's very eco minded.

Part of me thinks I'm just being silly but then another thinks at the price I'm paying I need to be happy.

To be honest with you I tried to change my wheels but couldn't as got to Stage 20 & was told if I wanted to I'd have to wait until Jan for delivery...had I done that I condone potentially now added CarPlay.

I think there's a few of us on here who have made contact through dealers and possibly Audi UK.

As one of posts above if it is hardware so soon after launch that would be poor from Audi if software (as it states phone connection via USB port) then we may have a retrofit chance.

Let's see what we find out in coming days - you have the advantage of cancelling should you wish to but you could lose deposit / reorder (not sure)

Another way to look at it (& I'm not 100% sure what it really adds reading the description) as I can stream Spotify, I don't need to use the maps from phone as I have sat nav on the car and MMI connect app so can send locations to car from phone.

WhatsApp messages - great but isn't that one distraction to far etc?

Don't get me wrong - yes I'm annoyed and I'll try and see if there's a solution but is it enough for me get more annoyed as months go on...probably not...as the car overall is fantastic and I have no regrets but completely am disgruntled at Audi marketing etc on this and a few other bits

fusion1966
16-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Has anyone tried Audi support or customer services on this point? I'll try again and see what response I get

fusion1966
16-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Ive just emailed Audi UK customer services with the following so will keep you posted if I get a response:

Hi there

I've recently took ownership of a new Audi Q7 Mark 2

From the literature I assumed that it would come with Apple CarPlay as standard however it seems as though that is not the case.

My question on this is when will it be available and will it be a simple software upgrade for loyal owners such as myself who purchased their cars early?

My second question is in connection with MyAudi and particularly the claims that an owner can use the interface on laptops and smartphones via an app to see diagnostic and performance metrics in relation to the car. The literature also states that additional functions such as warming the car up remotely would also be available.

I managed to find the service/security contract I needed to complete as a prerequisite to using these features and also received the code from audi to set these features up through my MMI however I could not complete the instructions as one of the menu tabs is not displayed in my car

Please can you endeavour to answer my questions directly or get one of your product managers responsible for CarPlay and MyAudi to give me a call.

Regards
BR

Sent from my iPhone

Nemo78
16-10-2015, 12:35 PM
Nice one fusion...

Ok Audi CS have called me back just now - it's a factory fit option with no retrofit currently available. It is something being looked in to but currently nothing.

I pushed the call Agent to understand if it is software as opposed to hardware and she believed it was.

Be great to see what response you get to the email.

I think if we can all keep pushing it may push Audi UK (might not) to bring a retrofit quicker...

deano179
16-10-2015, 08:04 PM
I've also put a call Ito Audi CS. At first didn't really want to know as they said issue is with dealer not making it clear that CarPlay not included, but after a while started to accept the initial marketing may have been misleading.

They also said Audi are exploring how to retrofit. May come to nothing but at least it's another voice to add to the argument!

nathanparrett
17-10-2015, 11:53 AM
I emailed as well, nothing back as yet

Q7newbie
18-10-2015, 04:07 PM
How would we go about a collective communication to Audi UK? Shame we don't have more Q7 members to make some strength in numbers
I can give you the contact details of the Customer Relations Manager for Audi UK? She based at the HQ. She helped me on a fiasco I had a year ago on my new car order that went horribly wrong.
She was amazing. Went as far as coming to Scotland in person for a sit down with me to sort it all out.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Q7newbie
18-10-2015, 04:20 PM
I'm personally not feeling at a loss if CarPlay never arrives on the Q7 or any other car. But that's purely down to preference and car use. There's nothing on my phone that I currently don't have access to when I drive that I feel CarPlay or Android blah blah will do for me.
I have 2014 Q7, and that synch my phone book and handles my calls. It also reads out my text messages when i put my phone in that Mode. That's pretty much as I want from my phone when I drive.
What is CarPlay and it's Android counterpart really bringing to the Car connectivity and interaction party that we can't already do that's of genuine benefit?
Some will say Spotify/music streaming. But anyone that's ever streamed music on the current Q7 via the data sim or Bluetooth knows that sound quality and the actual ability to stream anything are dependent more on network coverage than anything else. And network coverage is the one thing we have no control over. I'd think anyone that a real Audiophile and music lover in the car would ensure their music is played via a reliable source eg. ipod.
I'm sure my perspective has flaws, but that's just my take on all of this.

carloalberto
18-10-2015, 05:59 PM
On spotify You are able To download your favorite music/playList on your phone with high quality And streaming too.

Q7newbie
18-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Indeed, I'm aware of that. Hence my self-admission to my perspective being a flawed and personal one.
I like to permanently own my music. In terms of accessing it via a car, it's duly beneficial as there are less impediments or limitations to my playing it.

JMB7
18-10-2015, 08:35 PM
I agree, at the moment car play functionality is quite limited. But once apple opens it up to third party developers who knows where it could go. I'd quite like speed camera alerts for example. But either way i just get to read about carplay developments rather than test them due to the way it's been released. All the early reviews mention it and when I ordered I chose pretty much all the tech options as I'm a bit of a geek. Just annoying to know that I won't get carplay and all the signs at the moment point to no retrofit option.
(I wouldn't mind the UK customer service email to see if there's any chance she can help)

Q7newbie
18-10-2015, 10:06 PM
I agree, at the moment car play functionality is quite limited. But once apple opens it up to third party developers who knows where it could go. I'd quite like speed camera alerts for example. But either way i just get to read about carplay developments rather than test them due to the way it's been released. All the early reviews mention it and when I ordered I chose pretty much all the tech options as I'm a bit of a geek. Just annoying to know that I won't get carplay and all the signs at the moment point to no retrofit option.
(I wouldn't mind the UK customer service email to see if there's any chance she can help)
I'll PM you her details.

I do agree that on principle alone, if audi say the car come with CarPlay, then that's what it should have. Failure to do so is pretty much misselling, according to Trading Standards.

I can also agree, that in a year or 2, the functionality for CarPlay will grow and improve and become more worthwhile. In the meantime I guess people want it just because they can!

Nemo78
18-10-2015, 10:12 PM
I can give you the contact details of the Customer Relations Manager for Audi UK? She based at the HQ. She helped me on a fiasco I had a year ago on my new car order that went horribly wrong.
She was amazing. Went as far as coming to Scotland in person for a sit down with me to sort it all out.

Let me have her details of you can as you never know...will see what response the others get to the emails first

Q7newbie
18-10-2015, 10:22 PM
No problem. I've sent you the details via PM. Keep us appraised of how you get on with them!

nathanparrett
19-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Can you pm them to me please.

Thanks.

Nemo78
19-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Does anyone know what the MIB 2 Infotainment system is at all? If we have this we can integrate to Apple CarPlay.

Is this the option that's now available? As if so it sounds more hardware than software...

nathanparrett
19-10-2015, 02:46 PM
What Is Audi’s MIB-2 Technology And Virtual Cockpit? | Autobytel.com (http://www.autobytel.com/car-ownership/technology/what-is-audi-s-mib-2-technology-and-virtual-cockpit-127063/)

Not sure if that powers the virtual cockpit though. I guess if it was a new entertainment system it would cost more than £399

Nemo78
19-10-2015, 02:52 PM
What Is Audiâ€[emoji769]s MIB-2 Technology And Virtual Cockpit? | Autobytel.com (http://www.autobytel.com/car-ownership/technology/what-is-audi-s-mib-2-technology-and-virtual-cockpit-127063/)

Not sure if that powers the virtual cockpit though. I guess if it was a new entertainment system it would cost more than £399

So actually could well be a software upgrade by reading that as it does mention upgrading software as more technology becomes available...

JMB7
19-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the email.

On another note I got a call from dealer today. My car is on the way to port for shipping. Which was the good news. The bad news being that he'd spoken to someone who deals with tech at Audi and that carplay can't be retrofitted as it is indeed factory fit hardware.
He offered to place a new order but build would be week 2 next year and with twins on the way I decided to just stick with the current order and try and avoid thinking about carplay ever again :)

I also requested a brochure from the audi website just out of interest to check the new options.....and i received the old one.

Nemo78
19-10-2015, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the email.

On another note I got a call from dealer today. My car is on the way to port for shipping. Which was the good news. The bad news being that he'd spoken to someone who deals with tech at Audi and that carplay can't be retrofitted as it is indeed factory fit hardware.
He offered to place a new order but build would be week 2 next year and with twins on the way I decided to just stick with the current order and try and avoid thinking about carplay ever again :)

I also requested a brochure from the audi website just out of interest to check the new options.....and i received the old one.

Great news and fab news re twins!!

So this is all getting confusing - my dealer says they looking at retrofit for TTs aswell?

Anyhow this is from Audi Cust Care

We are still looking into the option to retrofit Apple CarPlay to vehicles fitted with the MIB 2 Infotainment system. At this moment in time however, we can't advise or provide you with any time scales of when this will be available. We can advise you however, that the MIB 2 system will be required to integrate Apple CarPlay, should they be able to retrofit it in the future. Thank you.

JMB7
19-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Silly question but do all new model Q7 's have MIB2? Or is this another new option?
Cheers

nathanparrett
19-10-2015, 06:41 PM
This is interesting. If anyone took out the Audi cockpit option does that mean they have the MIB2? I assume that is the hardware they are talking about

nathanparrett
19-10-2015, 06:47 PM
That should help - http://www.bdlive.co.za/life/motoring/2015/10/01/launch-news-audi-q7--in-search-of-sophistication

Mentions that the pad links to the MIB2

Nemo78
22-10-2015, 02:28 PM
Out of interest has anyone heard anything back from Audi at all on this?

nathanparrett
23-10-2015, 04:38 PM
I am still waiting.

Car comes on Monday so will have a new route to approach audi with.

Also have you noticed you still can't add that option on the configurator? Also I notice that audi phone box now says wireless. Has it always been wireless?

Nemo78
24-10-2015, 07:00 AM
I am still waiting.

Car comes on Monday so will have a new route to approach audi with.

Also have you noticed you still can't add that option on the configurator? Also I notice that audi phone box now says wireless. Has it always been wireless?

Yup noticed re CarPlay and config- all new options, I.e. Black styling pack and new wheels are available but no CarPlay? Do wonder what the issue is.

Also noticed in a write up about the new A4 where CarPlay sounded standard, whether that's the case I don't know as haven't looked at config/brochures

Can't say have noticed the bit about phone box - but sure it's always created a wireless connection when placing the phone inside the centre armrest comprtment

JMB7
24-10-2015, 07:28 AM
My dealer told me the Audi UK tech guy told him it's going to be standard in the A4 due to the fact it offers little that the mmi doesn't and that whilst using carplay the majority of the in built functions can't be used so they didn't think customers would be happy having to pay for it.
I presumed at the time it was just a speech to try and placate me as he'd just confirmed my car wouldn't have carplay and there was no retrofit due to it being hardware.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to wait until someone does manage to get a car with it in.
No reply from Audi customer service on my question though.

stonestokie
24-10-2015, 08:32 AM
Also still waiting, will chase again today, to be fair, even if it hw related they should still be able to swap it around, well that will be my take anyway!

carloalberto
24-10-2015, 09:02 AM
Hey guys. I've just test android auto and apple car play on my new q7. Apple car play woks fine. Android auto not too, the audio it's too bad and low, the video rescaling on mmi it's bad ( no fullsize on mmi). I hope audi makes an helpful update for android auto.

inviata dal mio Galaxy Note 4

Nemo78
24-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Hey guys. I've just test android auto and apple car play on my new q7. Apple car play woks fine. Android auto not too, the audio it's too bad and low, the video rescaling on mmi it's bad ( no fullsize on mmi). I hope audi makes an helpful update for android auto.

Do you see an option for CarPlay etc in the menu of options I.e. Car Settings, Audi Connect etc etc

Nemo78
24-10-2015, 10:37 AM
@JMB7 & @stonestokie I got my response via the Audi Twitter team

nathanparrett
24-10-2015, 11:03 AM
I have just tweeted them. carloalberto In your Phone Box area do you have any different types of cables? Or do you just plug into USB ports? I am still holding out for Sofware update. Did anyone try ringing that contact at Audi? When I placed my order I was told that Carplay may or may not be included

carloalberto
24-10-2015, 11:54 AM
I have just tweeted them. carloalberto In your Phone Box area do you have any different types of cables? Or do you just plug into USB ports? I am still holding out for Sofware update. Did anyone try ringing that contact at Audi? When I placed my order I was told that Carplay may or may not be included
Simple USB cable.

carloalberto
24-10-2015, 08:22 PM
I'm apologise the USB cable's not samsung original. I hope the original Samsung USB cable works fine, Next Monday i try the original one!

nathanparrett
27-10-2015, 11:19 PM
So I contacted Audi UK today. I told them that they marketed that audi car play would be available when I ordered the car. They told me Audi UK have never marketed the feature previously. Audi US did. Told me it couldn't be retrofitted yet. Was vague with giving any more information because of competition with other manufacturers. Having said that. I get emails, Apple music (with play list support from streamed tracks) . Text messages and with android I can use BubblepUNP to play Google music tracks with play list support. You can still use Siri with iPhone 6s plus with Hey Siri on. Traffic from audi connect. Not really missing that much apart from WhatsApp. From what I have read you don't get that much functionality yet with Apple Carplay. For instance you can't type text messages only from Siri. At the end of the day we are supposed to drive the car.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Q7newbie
28-10-2015, 01:48 PM
Well, like I said before: I was happy to help with Audi Customer Service details etc simply because as a matter of principle I believe a company like Audi should honour it's pledges and give accurate information.

In truth though, when I look at this CarPlay saga, I personally fail to see the big deal. It's just so trivial in terms of "wow factor" or Motoring changing features, that I can happily make do without it.
I'm more upset at the fact Air Suspension is an extra. And the LED Matrix Lighting is an extra too.
It will be a while until CarPlay becomes evolved enough to be considered a "must-have" extra in your new Audi.

boukob
31-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Hello Guys,

Same issue for me. At time of order (july) my dealer wasn't able to give me a correct answer and at the end he supposed that "audi smartphone interface" came standard with Audi Connect.... My Q7 arrived yesterday and off course it doesn't have the smartphone interface. I specifically asked at time of order that this option was mandatory for me to get !
I think Audi is misleading his customers (and the most loyal ones buy being early buyers) with false information. They started advertising this since CES Las Vegas in January 2015 !! and telling that the Q7 will be the first car to offer this feature.... .

I don't know how many of us are out there but maybe starting a petition could put pressure on them !? and they will release a retrofit. that all I'm asking !!!

nathanparrett
31-10-2015, 02:23 PM
I feel the same, but, I think its a waiting game. I think there is only about 5 of us that seem that bothered.

stonestokie
31-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Yes we have to keep pushing this!, I notice the new A4 has it as standard, as stated earlier as the early adopters I feel we have been let down, let keep it going!

IsDon
31-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Hello Guys,

Same issue for me. At time of order (july) my dealer wasn't able to give me a correct answer and at the end he supposed that "audi smartphone interface" came standard with Audi Connect.... My Q7 arrived yesterday and off course it doesn't have the smartphone interface. I specifically asked at time of order that this option was mandatory for me to get !
I think Audi is misleading his customers (and the most loyal ones buy being early buyers) with false information. They started advertising this since CES Las Vegas in January 2015 !! and telling that the Q7 will be the first car to offer this feature.... .

I don't know how many of us are out there but maybe starting a petition could put pressure on them !? and they will release a retrofit. that all I'm asking !!!

Did you refuse to take the car.

This is the only way you'll get any traction.

You said CarPlay was mandatory. You need to follow through on this if you want to force the issue.

fusion1966
31-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Got a reply to my email a of a couple of weeks ago

I can confirm that Apple I play is only available in the new Audi A4 model. This feature may be released into other models nest
year, however we have no definitive dates. We have no plans to release any software updates to enable this feature to work as it
is a factory fit option only.

If you can supply me with the information I have asked for then I will speak to our Technical Team in order to get a response or
you can contact your local Audi Centre

Nemo78
31-10-2015, 09:52 PM
I think a retrofit will come but it's going to be something we have to wait for.

It's interesting whilst Smartphone Interface is now in Q7 brochure as an optional extra but still not available on the configurator...all other new options (wheels, black styling pack etc available on config)

However if someone is happy to lead a 'group' push on getting a retrofit I'm more than happy to join it, would happily lead but day job is quite intense at the moment.

nathanparrett
31-10-2015, 09:58 PM
I think a retrofit will come but it's going to be something we have to wait for.

It's interesting whilst Smartphone Interface is now in Q7 brochure as an optional extra but still not available on the configurator...all other new options (wheels, black styling pack etc available on config)

However if someone is happy to lead a 'group' push on getting a retrofit I'm more than happy to join it, would happily lead but day job is quite intense at the moment.
The only way to get action is publicity.

Have reached out to carplaylife to see if they will publish something.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

worldhosted
01-11-2015, 11:36 AM
I have a week 39 build Q7.
Selected nearly every option for the car.
Salesman and I could not get CarPlay to work in the demo car.

Now appears I do not have option code 7A7 - smartphone interface.
Have been to the dealer with all the literature about the Q7 having CarPlay at launch.

This module is a £350 option available for cars from build week 45.

Not really impressed with all of this to be honest.
Audi UK seem to be in the dark.
The sales guys also are a bit in the dark.
So had the car for 8 days.
We are at the point of me returning under the 30 days clause.

Where by the dealer will order a new Q7 WITH the factory fit module included.

I am quite diappointed with Audi in general on this.

Even my Audi manual shows how to use CarPlay.
But nobody had mentioned until I started digging around about the 'smartphone interface'

It is NOT just a software update.
The option 7A7 HAS to be installed for CarPlay/Android Auto to function.

Will keep you guys updated on the outcome for me.

Nemo78
01-11-2015, 09:48 PM
I have a week 39 build Q7.
Selected nearly every option for the car.
Salesman and I could not get CarPlay to work in the demo car.

Now appears I do not have option code 7A7 - smartphone interface.
Have been to the dealer with all the literature about the Q7 having CarPlay at launch.

This module is a £350 option available for cars from build week 45.

Not really impressed with all of this to be honest.
Audi UK seem to be in the dark.
The sales guys also are a bit in the dark.
So had the car for 8 days.
We are at the point of me returning under the 30 days clause.

Where by the dealer will order a new Q7 WITH the factory fit module included.

I am quite diappointed with Audi in general on this.

Even my Audi manual shows how to use CarPlay.
But nobody had mentioned until I started digging around about the 'smartphone interface'

It is NOT just a software update.
The option 7A7 HAS to be installed for CarPlay/Android Auto to function.

Will keep you guys updated on the outcome for me.

What's the 30 day clause?

worldhosted
01-11-2015, 09:53 PM
30 days to reject the vehicle. (Also less than 1000 miles)
But as I received the car 23rd October. New purchasing laws came in 1st of October this year.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

Nemo78
01-11-2015, 09:58 PM
30 days to reject the vehicle. (Also less than 1000 miles)
But as I received the car 23rd October. New purchasing laws came in 1st of October this year.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

Thanks for that...knew Audi had a 30 day exchange on approved used but didn't realise that the updated consumer rights dos this for new cars

Nemo78
01-11-2015, 10:31 PM
Worldhosted you have me intrigued under what grounds you are formally about to reject the car under?

As one of the posts above Audi UK claim they never advertised CarPlay from launch and their website did state 'later in 2015'

However all press driving reviews mention CarPlay....

Would love to know what info you are providing them...

Personally I won't reject the car but would love to push for a retrofit to be made available if possible. Whilst CarPlay is minutes at the moment I know in a years time it'll be a totally different ball game

worldhosted
01-11-2015, 11:42 PM
I actually have literature from Audi UK that stated the car would have CarPlay from launch.
This was also expressed by the saleperson.

As with all cars (old and new) you always have an option to keep the vehicle.
Having traded in a 2012 Q7, I have not exactly gained in features with the new Q7.

CarPlay was one of the things that swayed me to the purchase.

Audi do have a past record of not retrofitting options. If they were not originally installed at the factory, then you don't get it.

As they are now offering the 'smartphone module' from week 45 build.
It is not a great number of the vehicles that do not have the module available.

So with thy in mind, I do not see Audi putting much effort to find a retrofit option.

Happy to be proven wrong.
But I just don't see the early builds ever having these installed.

So in my case it was stated as my main reason to purchase.
Then to find it is not on the vehicle is somewhat disappointing.
https://audimedia.tv/en/vid/audi-q7-smartphone-interface-2
https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/lighter-more-efficient-and-full-of-high-tech-the-new-audi-q7-2486/infotainment-and-audi-connect-2547

Nemo78
02-11-2015, 07:41 AM
Got you...thanks for that. Good luck with it and you're probably right re retrofit in that they will drag their feet etc

I can't click on the links in your post but if that's what states from Audi UK regarding CarPlay at launch then that blows their response out to one of the other members .

Good luck and keep us informed...I'm actually booked in to get an issue fixed later this week so will push my dealership further on this. But as early adopters we have been penalised

Edit to add: the one thing I'm 'happy' about is that it's now not standard and an optional extra.

boukob
02-11-2015, 06:30 PM
I live in Morocco and we don't have the same return policy. And Audi dealer (who is the dealer for the whole country) is hiding behind the excuse "Audi Germany didn't give us the correct information at time of order", which I know is true. So now I have the car I told him to put pressure on Audi to find a solution (a retrofit,please !!!!!!), but now he has finished his sale I'm not his priority anymore I guess.

But I think there are much more than we think out there because Audi started delivering this model since July worldwide. Only for Morocco, the first batch in September was 60 cars, all sold. So my thinking is that many other disappointed customers like us are not searching the web for answer and finding this thread and the only way to reach many more is buy finding a car news website or http://www.carplaylife.com/ to put pressure and bad press on Audi for this mess....

Dear Audi, I can understand that an option is not available a time of launch but
1) Don't advertise it like this is a key selling point for the car !!!
2) don't let down early buyers and offer a simple retrofit solution

P.S. : on the french audi configurator, the "Audi smartphone interface" is now available.

Did you refuse to take the car.

This is the only way you'll get any traction.

You said CarPlay was mandatory. You need to follow through on this if you want to force the issue.

IsDon
03-11-2015, 01:02 AM
Yes. But if you had a contract with the dealer that included car play on the vehicle you put down a deposit for, and that vehicle subsequently arrived without the feature agreed upon in the contract, then I suspect you would have grounds to say you breached the contract, I'm not taking the car and demand your deposit back.

This is the basis of contract law in every country I'm aware of.

I guess it just depends on how important the feature is to you, and whether you feel aggrieved enough to fight it.

If it were me there would be no possibility of me accepting a vehicle which breaches the contract.

boukob
03-11-2015, 09:33 AM
I agree. But when you wait four months to get your new car and you know that if you refuse it and order a new one you will have to wait another 4 month maybe more... I chose to take the care and hope for Audi to offer the retrofit

Yes. But if you had a contract with the dealer that included car play on the vehicle you put down a deposit for, and that vehicle subsequently arrived without the feature agreed upon in the contract, then I suspect you would have grounds to say you breached the contract, I'm not taking the car and demand your deposit back.

This is the basis of contract law in every country I'm aware of.

I guess it just depends on how important the feature is to you, and whether you feel aggrieved enough to fight it.

If it were me there would be no possibility of me accepting a vehicle which breaches the contract.

IsDon
03-11-2015, 10:06 AM
I agree. But when you wait four months to get your new car and you know that if you refuse it and order a new one you will have to wait another 4 month maybe more... I chose to take the care and hope for Audi to offer the retrofit

The only certainty is Audi will not retrofit. Even it it were possible, and I'm certain it is, they absolutely will not do it.

They sell cars by making newer models more attractive by adding more toys. Retrofitting last years model is cutting their own throat.

I retrofitted my vehicle with Audi Connect hardware which wasn't originally fitted to it. I then asked Audi to enable the functionality on the myAudi website to allow me to use its functionality and they downright refused. All it would take is for them to add my VIN to the list of those vehicles fitted with Audi Connect. That's an indication of the c---s your dealing with.

My personal opinion, a 4 month wait for the car you actually want is an easier pill to swallow than living years with a car you didn't want.

boukob
03-11-2015, 10:18 AM
we are not talking about retrofitting a last year model but giving all the new Audi Q7 customers what they were advertised for.... completely different matter

IsDon
03-11-2015, 10:27 AM
we are not talking about retrofitting a last year model but giving all the new Audi Q7 customers what they were advertised for.... completely different matter

I'm not talking about retrofitting last years model either. My car is current model and Audi Connect was an option my car didn't have when I bought it. It was a demo. Despite me retrofitting the hardware they refused to enable the functionality. In fact my situation is actually easier to fix as I fitted the hardware myself.
Next year. When the new model comes out with car play yours will not be retrofitted. I guarantee you. They will have a list of VINs and build dates that are allowed to have it and yours will be manufactured to early. Maybe by even a week.

If you want the functionality, the only way to get it is demand it by sending your car back.

nathanparrett
04-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Is anyone having any issues in the MMI with playlists from their iPhone. I find that when I am listening to a track and use the MMI control knob to change tracks its seems to stutter.

Looks like something to do with album art?

Only happens on phone, never on iPod.

Thanks

worldhosted
04-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Is anyone having any issues in the MMI with playlists from their iPhone. I find that when I am listening to a track and use the MMI control knob to change tracks its seems to stutter.

Thanks

I do not get this issue when my iPhone 6 is connected to the USB port.
But what I have noticed with MMI and wifi.
When playing music through the MMI wifi app. Every track change, the screen pops up and says iPhone ***** found.
I mean between every track change, it pops up that my iPhone has been found..

Very odd.

Not had the stuttering issue though.

nathanparrett
04-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks, that is weird. I havent found a way yet other than BubbleuPnp to stream music from google music in the car with playlist support. Problem with Android is that you have to have music on the device (natively) for playlist to work on new model. Havent found a workaround yet.

Have you used an Iphone 6S with the hey siri functionality on. It works really well at times. For instance if you say play top 25 songs from 1998 the songs go across to the MMI and you can see all the songs in the playlist.

You need Apple Music for that to work though.

Nemo78
04-11-2015, 11:06 AM

Thanks

Not had the stuttering that I've noticed on iTunes playlist / tracks - defo not when connected via USB (which also charges the phone mighty quickly)

I've noticed stuttering mid track etc when Bluetooth streaming Spotify and then on MMI messing around with Audi Connect. Could be due to personal hotspot of phone to connect car though and that's also 'powering' Spotify?

boukob
10-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Hello Nemo78
did you had the chance to see your dealership about this issue ?

nathanparrett
10-11-2015, 10:48 AM
My dealer still doesn't really know what is going on. Still isn't an option on there online configurator. I have convinced myself that the hardware part is getting Siri/Google to get into a state of listening. And the rest is software. With nexus 6p and iPhone 6s plus both those features are always on.

boukob
10-11-2015, 10:51 AM
if your dealer still doesn't have the option available it means that much more people will be left down by Audi on this feature !!

nathanparrett
10-11-2015, 10:52 AM
It's on the brochure but still not on the online configurator.

Nemo78
10-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Dealers are trying to get some solid info out from Audi UK who aren't being that helpful...however their belief (dealers) is that a Retrofit will be made available - so not really any further forward.

Nathan did you get any traction with carplaylife?

It does look like it's been Audi UK dragging their feet with CarPlay as Germany and a couple other markets have had from launch

nathanparrett
10-11-2015, 02:01 PM
No traction from carplaylife.

Audi UK seemed to be concerned about giving out information due to other manufacturers stealing their ideas. That is what they told me

Hopefully in the coming months something positive happens.

nathanparrett
10-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Just spoke to the dealer, he has confirmed that it is a USB connection along with a software update.

Remains confident that soon after manufacture starts on the part in the UK it will then become an option for retrofit, even though currently it isn't

I am still waiting for the audi entertainment module that is now on back order for the car. Not sure what this is going to be like.

Thanks

Nemo78
10-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Just spoke to the dealer, he has confirmed that it is a USB connection along with a software update.

Remains confident that soon after manufacture starts on the part in the UK it will then become an option for retrofit, even though currently it isn't

I am still waiting for the audi entertainment module that is now on back order for the car. Not sure what this is going to be like.

Thanks

What's the entertainment module?

nathanparrett
10-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Rear seat entertainment screens.

Nemo78
10-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Rear seat entertainment screens.

Ahh got you....that can be retrofitted?

nathanparrett
10-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Possibly. Seats have to be prepared which mine have been done.

Nemo78
10-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Possibly. Seats have to be prepared which mine have been done.

Good stuff - let us know how it goes

boukob
10-11-2015, 04:09 PM
At last some positive news :arms:

Thanks

JMB7
10-11-2015, 10:25 PM
Seems to be alot of misinformation from Audi. My dealer categorically stated there would be no retrofit option after supposedly speaking to someone from the technical department of audi. He even offered to get the guy to call me and explain. Wish I'd taken him up on that. Audi twitter told me there may be an option in the future if you have MIB2 and you've been told there will be a retrofit. I hope your source is the correct one.

Anyway getting excited as I should have my new Q7 by the end of the week!

nathanparrett
11-11-2015, 12:31 AM
It's a great car. Enjoy. Regarding MIB2. I had previous model. Willing to bet that new q7s have this built in.

stonestokie
11-11-2015, 09:58 AM
All I agree on the misleading info, my conversations have got me nowhere at the moment, but will be chasing customer services again. Regarding the post that states that it would be available are we able to verify this or provide any further information. We are getting close!, we just need to see a bit more evidence then we can all jump on it!!

nathanparrett
11-11-2015, 10:34 AM
All we have had is that they think it might come available as the ami of Audi when it first came out had the same thing and was retrofitted. I'm still pursuing and not giving up

stonestokie
11-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Nice one!!, keep the pressure on!

IsDon
13-11-2015, 01:19 AM
Seems the possibility exists for third party aftermarket CarPlay.

A company is developing the hardware and expects to be delivering early next year.

Apple CarPlay, pre-order - AudiWorld Forums (http://www.audiworld.com/forums/vendor-showroom-184/apple-carplay-pre-order-2891791/)

If it's possible for third party developers to retrofit to older models, it's clearly possible for Audi to retrofit to those Q7 buyers who were defrauded by being told their new cars would come with CarPlay, when that wasn't the case.

If they tell you a retrofit isn't possible then they're lying through their teeth.

Assuming of course that the company concerned isn't a fraud.

nathanparrett
18-11-2015, 04:42 PM
I see the link to the above has been removed

IsDon
18-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Delayed but not quite dead. Looking to now release mid 2016. Reason given was a lack of available CarPlay apps.

I, like most I guess, are pretty disappointed with MMI navigation when compared against Google Maps. Google maps, Waze and others aren't currently supported by Apple CarPlay. The company decided that since these were the main reason for people to install CarPlay in the first place they couldn't get enough people interested to launch.

See here.

NavTool CarPlay introduction delayed - AudiWorld Forums (http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-discussion-129/navtool-carplay-introduction-delayed-2892058/)

Nemo78
18-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Hope we get it soon [emoji5] on display this weekend in the launch showroom A4s if anyone wants to go and have a play...got my invite for Saturday but can't make it

nathanparrett
20-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Some news on this, just spoke to someone I know at Audi and they have been doing some digging this week. At present there is not a refit option to this, they were very vague as to whether it would be likely in the future. Apparently there is some problems with the option and still at present they cannot order a car with it (That conflicts with stuff on this forum) There stance is that at present the option is unavailable. Which ties up with what is on the configurator.

She is going to look at this again by the end of the year for me.

boukob
20-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the update.
But the option shows up on the french website ! https://www.dropbox.com/s/f00i1tat7mpj00w/Screenshot%202015-11-20%2017.18.42.png?dl=0
and it wasn't the case until October

Nemo78
21-11-2015, 06:48 AM
Some news on this, just spoke to someone I know at Audi and they have been doing some digging this week. At present there is not a refit option to this, they were very vague as to whether it would be likely in the future. Apparently there is some problems with the option and still at present they cannot order a car with it (That conflicts with stuff on this forum) There stance is that at present the option is unavailable. Which ties up with what is on the configurator.

She is going to look at this again by the end of the year for me.

Interesting information, wonder what the issue is as they are now pumping out the A4 with it and I guess the Q in other countries?

JMB7
21-11-2015, 10:54 PM
I forgot the name (sorry) but didn't someone in this thread get a Q7 with carplay? I remember them saying carplay was fine but android auto not so good.

Nemo78
22-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Ok guys played with the A4 and I defo want CarPlay!
It so quick and smooth - literally connect USB to car and lightening cable to phone and you are away. Only played a little as data transfers to car which I think I deleted before leaving 292252922629227

Nemo78
22-11-2015, 01:27 PM
I do have a 15sec video but don't think I can upload...2922829229

nathanparrett
22-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Great. Do we know anyone who has the q 7 in the uk with CarPlay installed. Also was the connections any different to that of the a4 in the phone box. Thanks.

stonestokie
22-11-2015, 01:51 PM
Ok now I am very jealous again, I was coming to terms with not having and not likely to have it!, but now I want it so bad!!!

Nemo78
22-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Great. Do we know anyone who has the q 7 in the uk with CarPlay installed. Also was the connections any different to that of the a4 in the phone box. Thanks.

Looked identical from what I could see (well USB sockets looked white rather than black on the inside)

Nemo78
22-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Ok now I am very jealous again, I was coming to terms with not having and not likely to have it!, but now I want it so bad!!!

I know same here but something was niggling at me to have a look and not like it...I looked and I liked. Really is so so simple - granted not a lot available at the moment (the second page only listed Spotify) but again everything's simple to use.

Presuming as didn't try but you can easily read messages / have messages read to you via the function

nathanparrett
22-11-2015, 02:32 PM
If you knew at some point in six months it could be retrofitted it would make us all happy.

Nemo78
23-11-2015, 05:03 PM
If you knew at some point in six months it could be retrofitted it would make us all happy.

Getting a little less confident about this as I decided to make contact again today and it just doesn't sound forthcoming.

The response was something like we don't have any updates to a retrofit but if we do we will let all dealers know...

Being a little naive here but surely they do know or have an idea as to whether

A) it is possible to retrofit
B) whether they are going to do or not...

stonestokie
23-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Totally agree, just feel totally let down at the moment, will ring customer services tomorrow to vent my spleen a bit!, see if that helps!!

nathanparrett
23-11-2015, 05:06 PM
My car is having to go to garage. Came up with instrument cluster fault. Seriously considering my options.

nathanparrett
23-11-2015, 05:06 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/23/df51fe89541312d18451027f1e0aabfd.jpg

Nemo78
23-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Has it stayed on post turning car off/on? I've had a couple of pre-sense faults come up but they always disappear (realise they are different to yours) when off/on again.

No faults logged either from it...it's all teething issues I know for a new model but it all just annoys you more so when the above CarPlay issues stand (if that makes sense)

nathanparrett
23-11-2015, 05:21 PM
No still there few hours after. I wonder if there is a way to reset the whole thing.

Nemo78
23-11-2015, 05:25 PM
No still there few hours after. I wonder if there is a way to reset the whole thing.

Pass...but hope it's something simple to fix .

However has made me think that we could do with starting a thread just to log any issues we have been having just to help each other out as it is a new model?

stonestokie
23-11-2015, 05:33 PM
That's a good call. I have had an intermittent tyre pressure fault, but have checked pressures and all good, only pops up every 30 or so starts, but will be looking to see if there is a border software update

Nemo78
23-11-2015, 05:35 PM
That's a good call. I have had an intermittent tyre pressure fault, but have checked pressures and all good, only pops up every 30 or so starts, but will be looking to see if there is a border software update

Had this yesterday as well!

nathanparrett
25-11-2015, 05:59 PM
So an update...

My car is having to have its instrument panel completely replaced. Apparently there is a fault.

It is less than a 1000 miles on the clock, with this, the car play saga and also the fact that they haven't delivered the Audi Entertainment Module (Due to a fire) I have told them that I am seriously considering my options.

I quizzed Audi again on the whole Apple Play (Smartphone interface) and they are sticking with the story that the option was available for a short period of time, but it proved to be unstable and has subsequently been withdrawn for the time being. They said the configurator confirms that.

Love the car but shouldn't be feeling like this about a car that costs £60k+

Nemo78
25-11-2015, 10:13 PM
I quizzed Audi again on the whole Apple Play (Smartphone interface) and they are sticking with the story that the option was available for a short period of time, but it proved to be unstable and has subsequently been withdrawn for the time being. They said the configurator confirms that.

I don't understand this stability thing as the new A4 has CarPlay and to all intents and purposes the same tech

boukob
25-11-2015, 10:23 PM
And again option is still available in French audi configurator....

stonestokie
25-11-2015, 10:31 PM
Feel for you Nathan, let us know how you get on, but they should certainly be fixing the issues you are facing. As for car-play I am with Nemo on this, it's the same tech in the a4, I refuse to believe that the q7 is different!, heck even has the same screen and buttons!, so deffo the same system to me.

Nemo78
25-11-2015, 10:32 PM
And again option is still available in French audi configurator....

In all honesty it's AUK dragging their feet at a guess as France have it, Germany had it from launch as I'm sure have most others...

Random guess is AUK made an error and now biding their time with this on the Q7 as launched in A4. It actually shows on online brokers websites as an option but not most importantly on the AUK configurator.

Never know it may come along with launch of eTron Q7 in Dec?

nathanparrett
25-11-2015, 11:06 PM
They told me it was q3 for the etron version next year. Very weird situation. I'm guessing in the end it will be resolved though. Just running out of patience now.

nathanparrett
06-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Interesting news, option has now appeared on the configurator.

Audi Smartphone Interface Audi Smartphone interface - Connects your smartphone with your Q7 bringing your mobile content seamlessly via USB directly into the MMI display. Navigation, telephone, music and selected third-party apps can be easily controlled via the MMI controller and via voice control system

worldhosted
06-12-2015, 09:45 PM
My October Q7 is being changed in March.
This time for one that he the 7A7 option installed.
Hopefully this time all is good with the car.

I also see that Sepang Blue is now an option under the pearl effect paints.
Making it a £675 option rather than the Audi Exclusive ridiculous money option :-)

Worldhosted
Interesting news, option has now appeared on the configurator.

Audi Smartphone Interface Audi Smartphone interface - Connects your smartphone with your Q7 bringing your mobile content seamlessly via USB directly into the MMI display. Navigation, telephone, music and selected third-party apps can be easily controlled via the MMI controller and via voice control system

JMB7
07-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Glad your getting a replacement!

I was back at the dealers last week to get wipers looked at and he'd just got back from training in Germany for the new A4 and he asked the question again about a retrofit for smartphone interface and was told no current plans to offer it.

I'm also annoyed the Sepang blue is reduced as I think I would have gone with that colour if it wasn't for the stupid price.
Also wish I hadn't played with carplay on the A4 as it's quite slick and will get better as more apps are approved. Bloody Audi

Nemo78
07-12-2015, 10:25 PM
I think we need to come to terms with no retrofit BUT as soon as someone has access to A4 parts list / diagrams we can easily see whether a retro is possible...

Worldhosted: did you 'reject' the car or were you dealers open to swapping if you get what i mean?

JMB7
05-01-2016, 03:59 PM
My whole mmi unit needs replacing to fix other issues with gps and functionality. I asked if the replacement could be sent with the smartphone interface and was categorically told it's not possible. Bit annoyed to be honest as you would think if it could be done easily then ripping the cars electronic brain out would be the time to do it.

Nemo78
05-01-2016, 04:30 PM
My whole mmi unit needs replacing to fix other issues with gps and functionality. I asked if the replacement could be sent with the smartphone interface and was categorically told it's not possible. Bit annoyed to be honest as you would think if it could be done easily then ripping the cars electronic brain out would be the time to do it.

Grrrr that's annoying. Was it Audi UK who said this or dealers on their own if you know what I mean.

Pretty much says no retrofit then I'd say. Still can't work out (in my head) how it's standard on the A4 and delayed option here.

AGW82
06-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Still can't work out (in my head) how it's standard on the A4 and delayed option here.

That's the Audi way, keep everyone guessing and be as ambiguous as possible....

Another example of this kind of behavour from Audi is that the heated windscreen is available now in the Q7 but isn't available in the New A4 until early 2016....

boukob
19-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Maybe some positive news....

Q7 2016 Modell & Carplay or Android Car - AudiForums.com (http://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-q7-66/q7-2016-modell-carplay-android-car-217506/page3/)

JMB7
19-01-2016, 06:38 PM
That would be awesome if correct....although I imagine Audi UK will be 6 months behind as usual.

stonestokie
19-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Agreed!, perhaps light at the end of the tunnel after all?. I will try and phone Audi customer services tomorrow to see if we can get that confirmed!!!

tabooze
15-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Just got my new Q7 today. Leased a car in stock, so didn't really change any options. Assumed like everyone here that CarPlay was standard, and now cheesed off I don't have it.

Any news on retrofitting this magical "smartphone interface"?

An interesting note - received the car with an A4 owners manual, not Q7!

Nemo78
15-02-2016, 06:15 PM
Any news on retrofitting this magical "smartphone interface"?

An interesting note - received the car with an A4 owners manual, not Q7!

Nothing solid as yet here in UK that I think anyone has come across? Somewhere in Europe a May date was being mentioned which could tie in with the MY2017 specs for the 'new cars' and retrofit available for the 'early/old cars'

Skippy73
15-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Ordered mine last week and instantly choose the smartphone interface so I didn't fall into this trap. Hope the retrofit for those that have been cheated comes soon

tabooze
01-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Now this is a bit strange. I got the Q7 with an A4 owners manual - which isn't very useful. Asked for the manual, and now just heard that they don't have any! I don't know how to use half the things in the car.

vincevms
06-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Hi Guys, just had notification that my replacement Q7 (rejected my 1st one with power drain issues) is at Emden, asked the dealer to spec with smartphone interface as there was a debate as to whether it could be fitted - build schedule shows it in the spec - so fingers crossed. New spec - Sepang Blue, Pano, 21" 5 spoke alloys, RSE, tech pack, mem seats, smartphone interface, all leather, rear luggage, heated wheel :)

Nemo78
07-05-2016, 07:18 AM
Bringing a slightly old thread to life.

For those that have the Smartphone Interface - what are your thoughts to CarPlay?

I've now had a play with it and in all seriousness - I don't think it's all the rage we thought it would be at the moment...still a little flake at times with Spotify or Music library skipping.

Text messages are all from what I can work out all voice driven - nothing appears on screen (I guess that's a safety feature - but then why can I read the news on the screen through Audi Connect?)

What I haven't actually checked is when connected to CarPlay what do you see on the VC screen? Do you still get all the tel numbers or is that not active as phone isn't actually connected to Bluetooth etc of the car.

I know in some cars (not talking Audi) it can be retrofitted with a pioneer unit and I guess it then brings you sat nav....but unless I'm missing some settings trick the sat nav from phone on to MMI via CarPlay feels dated vs the one we already have in the car.

I think for me...it's more handy on longer journeys in the car rather than short local drives where the Audi MMI interface and Bluetooth does the job really well (bar text message [emoji5])

Skippy73
07-05-2016, 08:50 AM
Nemo I've done a lot of research on the carplay-andriod option and the benefits. For me it's the Siri/ok Google communication. I chat with my family and wife a lot through What's App and that is an app that works with carplay and andriod auto. So weather text message or what's app I will get notification and simple replies through siri or ok google will be a breeze.
I am not afraid to admit it I am very bad for using my phone while driving especially quick texts and anything that will help me stop doing that and keep my phone in the centre console in my eyes is a winner.

Another reason I love listening to my Australian radio stations in the car. It reminds me of home and audi connect has no tunein radio app but carplay and andriod auto do with full artwork and info just like your mmi ipad music. So world wide radio streaming was a big one for me. However I only have a work phone and data use is limited to about 1gb which I use moving about a lot already. So the sim card data in the car will help and while my phone is safely in the centre console hard connected to andriod auto it will be connected by wifi to the cars data for the radio streaming.

I also have about 20000 songs on my phone organised into my favourite playlists that I have built up over the years. Whether general music control and use through carplay-andriod auto will be better then the MMI system time will tell but I have the option to use either.

I needed to be safe on the roads and for me I think I have a better chance now of leaving my phone in the centre console.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

srbsq7
07-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Hopefully more apps will be developed with CarPlay compatibility this year as the number of cars with it increases.

Skippy73
07-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Hopefully more apps will be developed with CarPlay compatibility this year as the number of cars with it increases.

Hopefully but they will only ever develop apps that relate to driving and communication. So what's app and message apps are there already, maps and music/radio are there already.

You won't get apps that don't assist you in your travels.

I expect they will come up with a diluted Facebook app for carplay though. Giving news feed style info.

mrol
11-07-2016, 11:17 AM
So...did anyone manage to get to the bottom of whether a retrospective upgrade is possible to enable the Smartphone interface / Carplay on the earlier Q7s? My dealer is still saying it's not possible but in my experience dealers aren't always right!

andyhud007
11-07-2016, 02:51 PM
Mrol, welcome

At this time no. We've looked into the firmware (its just a software update), but its tied to VIN numbers that have it enabled, so extracting that software from a car that has it, manipulating the data to accept a different car's VIN and injecting it into another car is highly unlikely.

Andy

maxw
11-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Mrol, welcome

At this time no. We've looked into the firmware (its just a software update), but its tied to VIN numbers that have it enabled, so extracting that software from a car that has it, manipulating the data to accept a different car's VIN and injecting it into another car is highly unlikely.

Andy

Andy

so really there is no reason why you can't walk into an Audi dealer and pay for CarPlay and they enable it or upload the software?

i know it's not going to happen but no reason why they can't

Its just so strange the way Audi work as surly they could make loads of extra money on extra oppshions but they won't always seem to be factory fitted or not at all but why?

I keep meaning to ask you how the remap is going? And any new updates and thoughts on it?

andyhud007
11-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Max

Theoretically yes... but then I'm confident even the dealers won't know this. We only know from tearing an MMI unit apart.

Until Audi HQ give the dealers the ability to do it, their hands are also tied. I completely agree, its stupid but sadly something the Audi gods are in complete control of. If they have their reasons why they don't allow it, we certainly don't know what they are.

RE: Re-Map - Yes, loving it. Its really bedded in now and I never get tired of the extra torque. No regrets and no issues so far.

mrol
11-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Mrol, welcome

Andy

Ah...that's a shame. From what your saying, it sounds like there is no technical constraint to doing it, it would just require Audi to enable it (and presumably update their VIN database in some way)? Pretty irritating if that is the case esp. for a premium brand/car like the Q7.

Did anyone find an easy way to do the mirroring solution?

srbsq7
11-07-2016, 05:05 PM
Might be worth writing letters to complain? Worth a try...

maxw
11-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Might be worth writing letters to complain? Worth a try...

Anything is is worth a try

but sadly the uk seem to be the last to get anything

like the app unlocking doors does it matter if car is in Europe USA or uk but as you know the uk miss out on loads of tricks and little tweets

andyhud007
11-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Yep, all valid ideas and approaches, but sadly we do suffer from being late to the party.

Honestly, I doubt we will get enough people to warrant Audi UK to raise it with Audi DE and then for something to happen. By that time you could be replacing your car anyway and these things are then standard.

I'm as frustrated as everyone else.

For what its worth and its not a complete substitute to AA or AC, but with the MMI App on the phone, Napster, Calendar, Contact, Twitter, Email, RSS Feeds and SMS integration all work very well. I'm happy with Napster especially for online music streaming or from whatever is downloaded on my Napster app on my phone.

Other than those main things I wouldn't envisage using much else (especially if I'm the one driving). The Sat Nav in the MMI with Google Maps / Online enabled is very good and identical to the maps on AA or I guess AC (I dont own an iPhone, sorry)

Just my own 2p of course.

Andy

Nemo78
11-07-2016, 06:54 PM
Maps from AC are horrendous compared to Google!
SMS integration however you don't get on MMI with iPhone but you do via AC however It's only read out or dictate

And for those who don't have it - wouldn't worry about it - it's not all that!

andyhud007
11-07-2016, 06:56 PM
I did not realise that limitation with AC.

My Samsung S6 paired to car I can dictate/read/reply/create/delete and listen to SMS and Emails via Voice with MMI (I do not have smartphone interface)

I'm assuming its an Apple limitation?

Nemo78
11-07-2016, 08:23 PM
I did not realise that limitation with AC.

My Samsung S6 paired to car I can dictate/read/reply/create/delete and listen to SMS and Emails via Voice with MMI (I do not have smartphone interface)

I'm assuming its an Apple limitation?

Yeah I think it's due to Apple not having rSAP

srbsq7
11-07-2016, 09:17 PM
You can use the car sim to send SMS natively - obviously with a different number, but quite good as a backup.

I'm getting more used to Carplay and finding it really good for Apple Music.

Phone and Message integration is good but I find using voice has to be the default way of accessing as using mmi controller is clunky. You can only rotate through menus and not use up/down/left/right or trackpad.

Tunein radio is quite handy but other than that it's still pretty limited. Hoping with Siri being opened up to other developers in iOS 10, may see apps like WhatsApp available on there

JMB7
11-07-2016, 09:43 PM
Hmm my iPhone and mmi combine to let me know if I receive new texts and allow me to read them and dictate replies. Not sure if it will read them aloud for me. ( This is without car play being active).

In your Bluetooth settings if you click the 'i' next to the audi mmi connection is show notifications on? (On phone)
Or is it some other functionality your talking about?

srbsq7
11-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Great minds JMB! Just got back from the car testing that very thing and it worked. Post on Audiworld jogged my memory as had to do the same on X5 to get SMS.

Limitation of this method is that you can only see sms's sent during the current connection. Not a big issue for most people.

Nemo78
12-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Hmm my iPhone and mmi combine to let me know if I receive new texts and allow me to read them and dictate replies. Not sure if it will read them aloud for me. ( This is without car play being active).

In your Bluetooth settings if you click the 'i' next to the audi mmi connection is show notifications on? (On phone)
Or is it some other functionality your talking about?

Nice one will give this a whirl!! If it works I bet CarPlay won't be used at all...unless phone needs charging

Wanna take a guess at which one is the Q
[emoji23]

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160712/e4d20d038bef9a9e9d93d5b48f326559.jpg

andyhud007
12-07-2016, 11:11 AM
What the... are you sitting in a Q7 Car Park or something? :)

Skippy73
12-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Haha brilliant I'm guessing all of them are Q7? And your loan vehicles over a period of time

Nemo78
12-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Pretty much Skippy, probably 2xQ7s, S5, A4, 2xA6 and who knows what the other two are...really should delete them all [emoji5]

Filippo
04-08-2016, 11:45 AM
I bought a Q7 4M 2 weeks ago. I crashed my touareg so I wen to a ready to be delivered car in Italy. I got a business plus white color 3.0 TDI quattro tiptronic.
I love this car and, as you, I would like to have the smartphone interface. I contacted both audi directly and my local dealer. No way, both one reply the same. Smartphone interface is not in my car and there is now way to have it installed after sale.
I hope that they will change their mind sooner, I really would like to have carplay in my car.

One more question
I would like to have the VID unlocked, someone can suggest the best way to do it?
thank you for your reply